Broward County FL Metal Detecting

Apr 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a Bounty Hunter Platinum for a great deal (my first detector) and was going to take it out to some parks after I got used to the detector, digging plugs, things like that. I heard somewhere that you're not allowed to metal detect in Broward county parks? I couldn't find anything that prohibits metal detecting or digging in general in the Rules and Regulations page on the Broward county website. Could somebody please clarify if metal detecting in Broward county parks is alright or not allowed? The last thing I want to do is break a rule/law and get a ticket, metal detector confiscated or anything like that. Thanks. :icon_thumleft:

Rules and Regulations page: https://www.broward.org/Parks/AboutUs/Pages/RulesRegulations.aspx

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well .... if you looked at the county's website, and saw nothing that said "no metal detecting", then .... ok, where did you hear "somewhere" that you can't ? The highest authority, it would seem to me, is the laws/rules/codes of the place, in question, itself. So if a person saw no prohibitions there, then I would consider that the authority, not "something you heard". You'd be surprised how often something silly like the following two scenarios happen, which then get picked up as "gospel fact" in the rumor mill:

a) someone gets a "scram" from a gardener having a bad day. The skittish md'r puts the word out "oh no, such & such parks are off-limits". But to me the simple fact that one lookie-lou may not like it, does not constitute a rule or law. Sometimes it merely means to avoid that one griper (sorry to say).

b) someone went into the county offices there asking "can I?" of bored deskbound bureaucrat's. Someone answers his "pressing question" with the safe answer of "no". The md'r puts the word out on forums, which then gets linked to other forums by key-word searches, and .... before you know it.... it's just taken as gospel fact.

Also be aware that what you linked there would only pertain to county-run parks. It wouldn't pertain to city parks, or state parks, etc.... in that county. And also be aware that *just* because a locale/entity doesn't have a specific prohibition saying "metal detectors", still doesn't mean that someone might not gripe. The hobby has ... uh .... "connotations" afterall. So you still don't want to swat any hornet's nests begging for attention or scrutiny. Go at low traffic times, be discreet. Don't be in the middle of deeper retrievals when busy-bodies are watching, etc...

pirimid

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
South Florida
Detector(s) used
1-White's Dual Field
2-Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
3-Garrett Ace 350
4-Garrett GtI 1500-(Currently Use)
5-Garrett AT Pro
6-Minelab Explorer SE (Currently Use)
7-Fisher Gold Bug (Currently Use)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, Florida Digger13....
You are NOT allowed to metal detect in ANY of the Broward County Parks....(period)...Yes, IT is absolutely ridiculous..in your question you list the broward county parks info web site..The 2nd to the last bullet on the bottom states check the broward county dode (25 1/2)..I have done the research for you and everyone else in this forum....
https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10288

Under the above Broward County Codes CHECK OUT CODE 25 1/2-3 Subsection (3)
They do not want anyone to dig into the grass at all...I spoke with a woman (Tony Payton) of Broward county parks and although she didn't know the exact code--(I found that) she did say metal detecting is not allowed under the general code 25 1/2..
Sadly, I also contacted and spoke with the Coral Springs Parks and Rec dept head (Rick Engle) who also told me Metal detecting is not allowed in the city parks...IT DOES NOT SAY A SINGLE WORK ABOUT METAL DETECTING IN THE COUNTY OR CITY WEBSITE.
It references disturbing the grass and no digging of holes...you or anyone can contact me by phone for more info...James.M 954 696 8494
Not to say that I have ever been bothered while metal detecting in Fort Lauderdale,, I was stopped in Coral Springs. (Mullins Park)..

I hope this helps you and others.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
pirimid, I have read through the entire code that you're talking about. And you're right: Nowhere does it say anything about metal detecting as being prohibited. It's only got the obligatory (found in EVERY park's verbage across the USA) stuff about "disturbing", "altering", etc...

But none of that necessarily equates to "no metal detecting". All such verbage inherently applies to the END result. If you leave no trace, then presto, you have not alterED or defacED anything, now have you ? ? Oh sure, anyone can come up and debate semantics with you about that if they want. Fine then, avoid that type person and go at lower traffic times. Because if the day comes when you and I think that type stuff means "no metal detecting", is the day you can simply stop detecting any public property anywhere in the entire USA. Because gauranteed: all land has rules forbidding "vandalism", "destruction", "removing", etc.... You might as well give up and stick to private land, if those things spook you.

But as you can plainly see: there is no lack of people detecting at places where there are prohibition against "mayhem" "molesting", and so forth. You can certainly debate the person to alert them that you aren't leaving any trace. But you're going to fight a loosing battle of semantics. So just go at odd-ball off times. Ie.: Sunday late, or federal holidays when workers are off, etc.... Or quite frankly, it's gotten to the point where I do most of my park turf hunting at night. So peaceful. So serene! :)

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pirimid, you are right there is no prohibition on metal detecting in those regulations. The problem comes when you choose to dig a target.

Per the ordinance:
Sec. 25½-3. Park property
Trees, shrubbery, lawns, etc. Trees, shrubbery, lawns, etc., are real property assets of the park; and no person shall cut, carve, injure the bark, break off limbs, branches or mutilate in any way, or pick the flowers or seeds, of any tree or plant; nor shall any person dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas, or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty or usefulness of any area; nor shall any person pile debris or material of any kind on or about any tree or plant, or attach any rope, wire or other contrivance thereto, whether temporary or permanent in character or use, except that scientists or students of botany may procure from the director or designee special permission to collect plant specimens.

No semantics, it's there in plain English. No digging in grass areas. Not sure why anyone would detect without digging so in effect it is a ban on the process of recovering targets. Unless the target was not under the grass? :laughing7:

It does seem that if the target was not in a grassy area there is no prohibition on digging. That would be a semantical argument that you could take up with the judge. In my experience though arguing with Judges is a very bad idea - but to each their own.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Clay-diggins, ah, so you have caught the evil word "dig" in there. I hadn't look deep enough, and had merely seen the "alter" and "disturb" verbage.

STILL THOUGH, I would make the same distinction: dig versus dug. Yes I realize this won't win a battle of semantics with an authority figure, most-likely. But if you want to start down that route, NEITHER WILL THE semantics of "alter" versus "altered" win the semantics debate with a lot of people . Ok, so be it. Then as I say, you & I avoid those type persons.

Here's another reason why I don't take the "dig" word as *necessarily* precluding md'ing (and ... yes.... "digging" to get the target): Because it is very common for persons to get permission to detect AND dig, at parks where such specific verbage exists! What I mean is: that even though I'm not a fan of asking permission (lest you risk the no-one-cared-till-you-asked psychology), yet the fact remains that there ARE persons who have gotten permission in their cities, by simply going in and asking. And get this: those "yes's" have often occurred where that very terminology exists. So the desk-jocky or park's guy would say something like "as long as you cover your spots and leave no marks"

Hmm, ok then, think about it: Is it *really* possible for any city person to give you "permission" to "break laws"? For example: If you walk in to the highway patrol tomorrow and ask : "Hi, can I exceed the speed limit and ignore stop signs?". What do you think they will tell you? Naturally they will tell you "no", right? Why? Because they CAN NOT give anyone the authority to break laws!! So what does that tell you then, about this "dig" rule/law then? To me it says that it IS "up for interepretation". Lest no one could have told you that it *really* doesn't apply .

So to me, not even the "dig" word will dissuade me, until told otherwise. :skullflag:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the section noted, technically, you wouldn't be able to walk on the grass, let alone play ball on it. It looks like your typical CYA ordinance to be interpreted by any bureaucrat with an ax to grind. I'd talk with the local detecting club members to see if it's enforced or like Tom says, maybe you can do it at off hours and be safe from prosecution.

pirimid

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
South Florida
Detector(s) used
1-White's Dual Field
2-Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
3-Garrett Ace 350
4-Garrett GtI 1500-(Currently Use)
5-Garrett AT Pro
6-Minelab Explorer SE (Currently Use)
7-Fisher Gold Bug (Currently Use)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, we can metal detect in the tot lots (sand areas) because it's much easier to retrieve a target, like detecting on the beach, there problem is just retrieving a target in the grass,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Yes, we can metal detect in the tot lots (sand areas) because it's much easier to retrieve a target, like detecting on the beach, there problem is just retrieving a target in the grass,

pirimid, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the prohibition there on "digging", does not exclude sandboxes, totlots, etc.....

Now I AGREE with you, that .... no one cares. Lest kids could never dig in sand boxes, doh! Yet if our all-fired worry is about technical wording, that we believe precludes us from md'ing (and digging) in other parts of the park, then ... you would need to apply that to sandboxes and tot-lots too. If we md'rs are so worried to keep the letter of technicalities, then don't hunt sandboxes either.

So again, I would not let verbage about digging scare you off. If some lone individual you ran into DOES say that it applies technically (even though you'll leave no mark), fine then, you're welcome to stop hunting all turf there. But think of this pirimid:

If as you say that no other park persons, besides this one individual, has ever gotten bothered by it, then : What if Joe Blow metal detectorist simply a) hasn't run into this one person, and b) doesn't read treasurenet to "get this new and pressing information that you're posting ?

Ok then what do you say if you run into Joe Blow in the park? Does your warning constitute a warning to *just you*, or to all md'rs everywhere from now on ? What if I don't run into you or that single park worker ? Lucky me, eh ?

Do you see how fickle all this really is ? That's why I do not interpret one lone "scram" in 10 yrs. of hunting a particular park, to necessarily constitute a "new rule". OH SURE: Avoid that one individual. I'm not saying to flaunt it in that person's face, or make him mad. But just saying that if the minute one lone person takes a interpretation of an up-for-interpretation thing, simply because he was in a bad mood, yet no one else on earth cares, then no, I do see that as a new rule forever more.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The prohibition is on digging in "grass area" nothing in there about not digging non-grass areas. You and I may not agree with the law but it's not ambiguous. It's specifies just the grass areas are closed to digging.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
clay-diggins, good catch. No doubt you are referring to this wording there:

" ..... nor shall any person dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas, or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty or usefulness of any area;..."

Yes that does seem to limit the "dig" verbage to just the grass, etc...? So a person could say that bare dirt, sand, tan-bark, etc.... are exempt, eh ? But what do you do if someone tries to say that by digging in the hard-pan dirt, or sand, etc... that you have "injured" or "impaired" the natural beauty of that ? I agree, not likely. But notice that in the OP, as far as "likeliness" potential, neither has the grass been an issue either, until just this one person. Therefore it does seem up for some degree of interpretation.

And how about this citation from the rules there:

"Sec. 25½-8. - Lost and found articles.
The finding of lost articles shall be reported to the parks and recreation manager. While the director is not responsible to search for lost articles, every reasonable effort to find valuable lost property will be made, or to locate the owners of found items. "

Ok, I'll bite. How many people who ply the sandbox in this counties parks, are rushing to give those found items to the "parks and recreation manager" ? Notice it doesn't give a value threshold cutoff either. Just all "lost articles". Thus certainly in our quest to obey the letter of every last rule and law, then this too is your and my's duty, right ?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a problem detecting any county park down here. Most the workers smile and wave, sometimes tell me where folks claim to have lost stuff.

Ya'll keep calling around and poking the politico bears down here, next thing you know, we'll have to get a senator or representative to rep us on the house floor again, to keep a right, we already have.
Thanks pals!

Use your common sense. If you see a herd of 100 kids playing football, don't detect through them.
Don't dig a hole the size of a mini-van. You got as much right to dig a small sandcastle in the volleyball court, just like little Johnny and Sally do!
Don't let anyone be able to tell, that you have even been there.
Just be cool and remember, your tax dollars and muni bonds pay for them parks too!
Don't stir the pot with the officials! And don't bring unneeded attention to the hobby. :BangHead:

eta: And what cudamark said, here's the link:
http://soflatreasurehunters.tripod.com/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread