New to Alaska,

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to alaska here. Im an avid relic/coin/jewelry hunter. Im new to the gold hunting deal, and would love if some experienced Alaskan hunters can give me a kick start on links, numbers, info on where to find any details about the legality of where i can sweep and all that good stuff so i dont get surrounded by troopers with ticket books in hand. Im in the Valley. im interested in just the legal aspect of things, not the technicals of the hunting, that i could learn gracefully on my own. I figure id start out with not getting fined or shot. ;)
...also, i did a bit of research, but after having 30 tabs open on my screen trying to sift through it all, i figured id just ask.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have to be a bit more specific. There are different rules for different sites. Federal, state, county, local, all have their own laws. It's best to just look up the government agency in question and see what the ordinance book says. If no mention of metal detecting, be responsible by making clean recoveries and have fun!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
i see youre in san diego, thats a bit far....... i was specific. im in the valley. the valley is a well known nickname for an area in AK. i would assume things are quite different here due to its rich prospecting history. id like any links that can be thrown my way , ...

It doesn't matter that Mark's not specifically in your area. His info is true of any state in the USA. You need to say what type land WITHIN that area. Ie.: the land in the part of AK you speak of might be either a) city, b) county, c) state, d) federal, or e) private. And even within each of those public entities, is mutiple types of land that may differ as well. Ie.: not all city land is city PARK land (so ... meaning, if you found something dire in city parks code, it wouldn't necessarily mean other types city land, like road right-of-way, for instance, since that's not "park" land.

And as for links sent your way, be aware that there need not be any link sent to you saying metal detecting is allowed. There doesn't need to be express allowance for an activity, in order to do it. Example: you will probably not find "laws" that say you can fly frisbees, right? So actually, the ABSENCE of any mention of metal detectors, is actually a good thing. So the absence of "links" you can find, doesn't bode poorly for you, but in fact, bodes well. Because if something is not prohibited, well then presto, it's not prohibited.

And the presence of historical sites does not mean that "well there must be some sort of laws". Because think of it, don't you think that md'rs in all other states seek out old (aka historic) sites? I mean, how boring is it to hunt new sites afterall? And we hit old parks, schools, beaches, camps, etc.... all the time, so long as not specifically forbidden. Unless you're talking sacred sensitive monuments, well sure, use common sense. But run of mill old parks, foundations in the middle of nowhere, etc...? Not necessarily forbidden "just because they're old", unless you saw some specific wording saying such a thing.

So just figure out the entity of the land you have in mind (city, county, or state),and look to see if they have a website listing their municipal codes, laws, rules, etc... If you see no mention of "metal detectors" or "metal detecting", well, then there's your answer :) If they don't have a website, you're welcome to go to city hall, and ask where the public can view the city codes, laws, etc... It has to be in writing somewhere, available for public viewing. Eg.: in binder form behind the front desk. Or at the public library, etc... Look it up for yourself, rather than thinking you need someone's "permission", lest you risk a whimsical arbitrary "no", where no such verbage really says such a thing.

But to be honest with you, most of us wouldn't even go that far. Most of us would see if something on the sign at the entrance forbids it, and if not..... well, you get the picture. And sure, don't be an eyesore raiding obviously sacred sites, making holes in manicured turf in front of bored landscapers, etc...

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look guy Tom in Ca. was only try to help. Your comments were very uncalled for. For that reason this is the last time I ever help you. Try going under the Prospecting fourm and ask your questions there. I'm sure there are others there from AK. Also go under the Ak state forum and ask your questions there were it's specifically designed for Alaskans.

OP
OP
I

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one. What planet are you from? Its a simple question with a simple answer, if one has any available info.

"this is the last time i ever help you" ........... who are you? you scare me.

OP
OP
I

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is a tool of information to share or learn. people worry me

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
The simple answer would be for you to hire a lawyer to help you with the legalities. Money is about the only thing that would make someone want to help you out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

This site is a tool of information to share or learn. people worry me

Iamfree, perhaps we're misunderstanding you. In your original post, you asked a question. Answers were given to you. Now you're mad? What's up ? :icon_scratch:

There are no specific "metal detecting allowed here" laws. If it's not prohibited (dis-allowed), then you can do it. We've asked you to specify what type of land this valley is, and/or told you some basics on how to do the homework, yet ...... this wasn't what you wanted?

There's a lot of "valleys" in AK. Maybe you know the specific county vs city vs private vs state, etc... of that particular plot, but how are we supposed to know ? Hence some general guidelines spelled out to you, on the subject in general.

So I'm at a loss to figure out what you're mad about ???

OP
OP
I

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refrain from forums for this very thing. this thread is shot. You are not close to here. This is not California. Im not on a beach or a park looking for coins. I asked if any Alaskan gold hunters have any info to share . You are not An alaskan gold hunter. you did not answer anything. this thread is irrelevant to you then. These sites are supposed to be a tool. Im looking for local people who are willing to share. if it stayed blank, that would be fine. A guy from california telling me to look at a local law is telling me the obvious. Theres always the fine print. Maybe an Alaskan whos been through the wringers could have possible pointed towards a book, a link, maybe a "hey this could help".........not a generic "google it" answer followed by "hey youre not being nice" .......

Im not even interested in explaining the Valley thing. This is so dumb..... i need to delete this thread, this is lame

Last edited:

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one. What planet are you from? Its a simple question with a simple answer, if one has any available info.

"this is the last time i ever help you" ........... who are you? you scare me.

I was not trying to scare you. After the comments you posted bashing Tnet and members. I made the decision I wouldn't help you again, its that simple. Not trying to scare or intimidate you or anyone. Maybe I am in the "valley" and also a prospector. Oh and were did those comments go, why were they deleted? They should of been left up for all the other Tnet members read.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youre a loser. You must not get any attention in the real world, so you find it here. This is probably your world, this website. Im
sad for people like you.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Iamfree, if you dislike everyone here who dared take a stab at your question (yeah yeah they didn't live where you mandated they must be from), then why do you keep posting here then? If we're that pathetic, then gee, we're really sorry, but why keep communicating with those you find so despicable?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest that you go to the Alaska section and see if anyone will talk to you there. Goodness knows you've worn out your welcome here. I'm sorry if I pointed out what you think is obvious. It won't happen again....believe me...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread