Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no dart guns, in the description, a projectile less than 3/8 of a inch, in dia, with sufficient force to injure another

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no dart guns, in the description, a projectile less than 3/8 of a inch, in dia, with sufficient force to injure another

"and gun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band"

Dart guns are not listed, but the law covers guns in which the propelling force is provided by a spring or elastic band. Not only would that include dart guns, but also rubber band guns, providing they could injure a person. If I removed the suction cup and sharpened the end of the shaft, could a dart gun have sufficient force to injure another? Going from actual past experience I would have to say yes.

Last edited:

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would a permit prevent crime? The intent of the law is to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens. He was arrested the next day, the officer who stopped him could have arrested him on the spot, so discretion had already been used on their part. Arguing his case in public brings attention to his cause. The way the law is written somebody could be charged with a felony for possessing a BB gun and even a toy gun in some cases. This guy had what is considered an antique, I wouldn't categorize it as a relic at 300 years old, any firearm older than fifty years is a relic. Antiques are firearms made before 1898. NJ law applies to antique firearms and he was riding around with it in the glovebox. What is there to argue?

United States Code, Title 18, Section 921(a)(3) The term ''firearm'' means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

United States Code, Title 18, Section 921(a)(16) The term 'antique firearm' means -
•(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and
•(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -
•(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
•(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

New Jersey Revised Statutes 2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.
b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread locked for politics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread