Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember to keep politics out of replies...

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line will probably be probation for the "criminal", confiscation of the flintlock with the proceeds of its subsequent sale to be added to the general fund of the police department's budget.

Opps.....forgot to mention the fines.

Very sad.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just soooo wrong, I know its the law but dang, laws and those who enforce them need to have common sense. If this had happened in the south the sheriff would have prob been fascinated with a pistol 300 years old, and known it would be a hand grenade (literally) if anyone tried loading and shooting it. (I'm trying to be politically correct here so TH'r doesn't get mad at me:thumbsup:.)

Here is a good defense strategy for him:
When he goes to court, he tells the judge to go outside load it and fire it, if it fires ok, he is guilty of transporting a firearm and will face all penalties.
If it blows up in the judges hand, he was transporting a cultural relic meant for display only and is not guilty, except the judge must make restitutions for the value of the relic.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
federal law clearly states that such "antique weapons" are exempt from being classed as a "modern weapon" --- thus the way NEW JERSEY has "lumped" all guns together is illegal by federal law .. federal law overrides state law .. THIS IS PURE BS --anyone with a brain can see it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line will probably be probation for the "criminal", confiscation of the flintlock with the proceeds of its subsequent sale to be added to the general fund of the police department's budget.

Opps.....forgot to mention the fines.

Very sad.

More likely it would not be sold and proceeds added to general fund. More likely it will be added to the private collection of one of the police members.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am glad I live in Tennessee because what if someone buys an antique gun at a show and happens to be transporting it home? I was taught in the permit class we went to that you always reveal that a. You have a permit and b. That you have a gun and where it is if asked. It seems common sense here would kick in. Maybe it's too cold in Jersey and their brains are frozen.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I am glad I live in Tennessee because what if someone buys an antique gun at a show and happens to be transporting it home? I was taught in the permit class we went to that you always reveal that a. You have a permit and b. That you have a gun and where it is if asked. It seems common sense here would kick in. Maybe it's too cold in Jersey and their brains are frozen.
Common sense is dead. If a criminal in any of the states with laws similar to NJ is stopped the LAST thing they are going to do is tell the cop they have a gun... The only thing these feel good laws do is turn law abiding citizens into criminals as proven by this article.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they stop and search many urban citizens and lots of arrest for illegal possession, it is the same in Pa, flintlock or centerfire all weapons, permits are the norm, but He will have his day in court, and penalties will be up to the judge., if any, ignorance of the law is no defense. Even In the old west, they made you check your guns at the sheriffs office when you came into town, and that was more often than naught. TV has a lot of fantasy in portraying the old west

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what the rules for transporting a antique cannon or something like that, or some of these old weapons the soldiers brought back from the war, I know my dad with WW2 they had some rules and declarations with pistols and rifles, but what kind of classification of firearms would small cannons , or bazookas, or mortars?

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Kahr 9mm semi-auto about 6" under a local park a few years ago. I wrapped it in a bandana and dialed 911. A nice patrolman showed up, took my name and such. Called me about a year later and told me that I could pick it up at the station if I wanted it. I told him to keep it. He thanked me for being honest. End of story.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with CoilyGirl here on the legal issue. He should have known the law and should have had a permit. He is in the position now of whether he wants to turn it into a political issue or try to minimize his damages on the legal issue. If I were him I would know that I am legally wrong and would encourage my attorney to minimize damages by going the "reasonable knowledge of the law" " reasonable use " "reasonable capability of item" etc.. He can turn it into a political issue and he has that right but personally I think he should try to minimize damages to himself because he didn't have his ass covered. He can get political later if he wishes.
You misunderstood what she was saying.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a permit for a simple BB gun in Jersey.

New Jersey Revised Statutes 2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.
b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think flamethrowers are ok everywhere, gotta get me one.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ummm is my sherman tank still legal?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the pink barbie car

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty bad when a permit is needed for a toy.

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band,carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

Consider this, these toys below could possibly injure somebody, those suction cups never stayed on long and the hard plastic shaft could easily take out an eye. Pencils and pens usually found their way into the barrels of the old dart guns along with anything else that would fit and shoot. But hey look on the bright side, no criminal can get a permit, and they wouldn't dare carry a gun without a permit. Oh those wacky law abiding criminals and their antics! :laughing7:

PR_351049.jpg guns17.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess one ought to know the law in their state

Status