ejmolitor37

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Knxville, IA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, my wonderment here lately is this, I have an abandoned VA campus in my back yard. There is only 1 building still in use the rest of the campus is shut down, I see people still walk the grounds for exercise and bike riding as it is still kept up mowing and etc. So I am wondering is it illegal for me to detect there? Being government ground does that put it off limits? Really all I can find about detecting in Iowa is beaches there are restrictions and state land. I have found not one word about government ground. I imagine I can ask local law enforcement since they would most likely be the ones to run me off. Anyway thanks for reading and happy hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ejmolitor37, to answer your points one-at-a-time:

"Being government ground does that put it off limits?"

On the contrary. Government grounds are where we all hunt. It's private grounds is where you can't hunt w/o permission. But public lands is ... well ... public ! Naturally, assuming there isn't a law or rule that specifically said "no metal detecting", that is.

".... all I can find about detecting in Iowa is beaches there are restrictions and state land. "

I believe you are referring to state PARKS land in Iowa. Not "all state land". Or all "government" land (would not apply to city and county and federal, for instance). The rules list you refer to is just for state parks. Not all state land is state park land. There's other forms of land. Like road right-of-way, vacant land (like you describe), etc... not-yet turned into park land, etc....

"... I see people still walk the grounds for exercise and bike riding ..."

And tell me again why you think your activity is more evil, or needs sanctions & permissions, versus those other people's usage ?

"... I imagine I can ask local law enforcement since they would most likely be the ones to run me off"

Sure. And then the following exchange would probably happen: The police tell you : "You have to ask the VA". So you call the VA people desk-bound pencil pushers, in some faraway city. You get bandied desk to desk. Until your pressing question lands on the desk of the staff attorney. And he gives your "pressing question" the easy answer of "no". Mind you, so too would you probably get a "no" if you asked if you could bike or exercise there.

OP
OP
E

ejmolitor37

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2016
Knxville, IA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very valid points Tom thank you. You are correct I mis spoke saying State land, when in fact I meant State parks. Luckily it seems in Iowa there are not a lot of restrictions but some of the info to myself at least is vague. Id rather cover my rear any time I can. Again thanks Sir for the encouragement I needed :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... not a lot of restrictions but some of the info to myself at least is vague.....

Laws are written broadly / vaguely for a purpose: So as to fit a myriad of circumstances as they may arise. Because it's impossible to write a law for every last thing that might come up in the field. So for example, there are laws that forbid "annoyances", and so forth.

Hence when it comes to md'ing, sometimes laws like rules that forbid "alteration" or "deface", to apply to md'ing (since , gasp, you might dig/poke! :)) Or cultural heritage laws and so forth. But no, I do not construe those things to *necessarily* apply to us. If they automatically did (barring someone's princely approval to the contrary), is the day we might as well give it up. Because such "catch-all" laws/rule exist on every speck of land, in some form or fashion. Ie.: vandalize, remove, harvest, take, deface, lost & found laws, etc....

If you look long enough and hard enough, and ask enough questions of enough lawyers and archies, is the day you might as well give up this hobby. Hence unless I see something that SPECIFICALLY said "no detecting", I'm going, till told otherwise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't leave a mess and carry out all trash. Leave the area looking like you found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread