Who can give me Permession to MD on the Sandbars of the Mississippi River

Joze1952

May 20, 2012
Belleville, WI
Detector(s) used
White DFX 300 and The AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have talked to the DNR in Wisconsin, They say all state land is off limits. The sand bars are created by dredging. ?? Humm.
I contacted the people that patrol the river "the US Coast Guard" They say as long as I'm not breaking any laws it's ok.
I contacted the Department of Interior, They said as long as I do not disturb wild life habitat it ok.

Before I hunt a sand bar I want definite proof that it's ok to hunt on the Mississippi Sand bars before I get a big fine, jail time and or risk loosing my equipment. Who can give me the permission??

Thanks.
Mark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hunt in off peak hours and don't make a mess. Plead innocence if someone asks. Never show anyone what you've found and don't tell anyone either.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop asking and just go hunt them.... Like sandman said, plead innocence if approached by authorities, tell them you checked with coast guard and they told you it was okay..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have talked to the DNR in Wisconsin, They say all state land is off limits....

Mark, You've got good answers so far.

Re.: the above statement: are the sandbars, in the river, that you speak of, truly State DNR land ? (versus some other entity's land) ? If so, here's some info for you:

Using Metal Detectors - Wisconsin DNR

But the answers you're getting from others here so far, are along the lines of: Does anyone *really* care ? I mean, let's be dreadfully honest: Is anyone out there to give a hoot to begin with ? And even if so, have you ever heard of anyone getting "big fines", "Jail", etc.... for hunting something as innocuous as that ? Perhaps if it were a sacred historic monument zone and you were obnoxious and couldn't take a warning, but ...... realistically ? Probably not.

Afterall, didn't you loose your boyscout ring when you were a kid there ?

Last edited:

Treasure Found

Greenie
Feb 14, 2015
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, You've got good answers so far.

Re.: the above statement: are the sandbars, in the river, that you speak of, truly State DNR land ? (versus some other entity's land) ? If so, here's some info for you:

Using Metal Detectors - Wisconsin DNR

But the answers you're getting from others here so far, are along the lines of: Does anyone *really* care ? I mean, let's be dreadfully honest: Is anyone out there to give a hoot to begin with ? And even if so, have you ever heard of anyone getting "big fines", "Jail", etc.... for hunting something as innocuous as that ? Perhaps if it were a sacred historic monument zone and you were obnoxious and couldn't take a warning, but ...... realistically ? Probably not.

Afterall, didn't you loose your boyscout ring when you were a kid there ?

LOOK for my Boy Scout badge . . . . . I did lose it in Florida . . . . but the voices keep telling me it's in them thar sand bars. If you find it for me then the voices are right once again!! just PM me so I can get it back. . . . Thanks a MILLION

S

stefen

A belated welcome to TN...

Lets see...you joined TN in May of 2012...

Your 1st post was February 2016...that's about 4 years after you joined...give or take a month or so...

By the time you make you're 2nd post, the sand bars will be gone...

Don't think its anything to get your nickers in a wad over...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread