Headed to the Outer Banks in June ?

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checking ahead of time, but I am headed to the Outer Banks, i.e. Kitty Hawk, Duck, NC in June. Was wondering what the MD'ing laws were regarding beach & water hunting ? Would like to avoid any legal pitfalls if any exist ?? Thanks in advance.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s some advice I got the other day (on another forum) - I’m sure the poster won’t mind my passing it on

Old Nags Head was probably best known in the 50s and earlier. Coquina Beach (public beach) in SNH just north of Oregon Inlet and Bonner bridge probably best for tourist density during summer. Corolla and Duck on northern OBs probably most affluent with least public access.
No detecting allowed south of Oregon Inlet except on private property (last I checked).

Roanoke Island (Manteo, Wanchese, and surrounds) had earliest habitation and some CW. Wanchese is much less developed than Manteo. Would make for some interesting door knocking for field/pasture hunting.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just went there a couple months ago. You should be good that far north. Almost the entire shoreline becomes Federal Park south of Oregon Inlet I think,, I know there are specific NO Metal detecting signs at entrances to the beach in the Hatteras area.

As you go north from Duck you run out of asphalt. I spoke to a cop who was parked at the entrance to the beach and he told me that metal detecting there was completely legal. There are a lot of stumps on the beach up there this year. Good luck and post your finds!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went there a couple months ago. You should be good that far north. Almost the entire shoreline becomes Federal Park south of Oregon Inlet I think,, I know there are specific NO Metal detecting signs at entrances to the beach in the Hatteras area.

As you go north from Duck you run out of asphalt. I spoke to a cop who was parked at the entrance to the beach and he told me that metal detecting there was completely legal. There are a lot of stumps on the beach up there this year. Good luck and post your finds!

This area is just north of those stumps .Up where the secluded beach houses are. Just don't try to drive up there at High tide. 2012_0625Mttohuntdeer4th0188.JPG

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2012_0625Mttohuntdeer4th0178.JPG And watch out for the wild horses up there.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(Singing) "WILD horses, couldn't drag me away..." (Rolling Stones). HA! Wife & I LOVE OBX! HH! Good Luck! Have FUN! Play in the Sun & Sand! Ghost of Black Beard won't bother you... HEH!

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rick, all good information, I appreciate you sharing.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions