Metal detecting in South Carolina

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be staying near the green marker for a weeks getaway next month.

Couple questions.

I found this on the web.

Jul 1, 2017 - Generally, recreational beach digging is OK as long as holes are not left behind. Metal detectors are allowed on Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island and most of Folly Beach except for Lighthouse Inlet Heritage Preserve at the east end of the island.

Is this true?, especially Sullivan's Island area as that is near were we are staying ?

Is this beach/area any good?

Lot's of conflicting info with google search as far as how the Antiquities Act of 1906 is enforced.

Would like to take the Equinox along if legal. Any hints as to god/bad places to detect and safety appreciated.

Screenshot-2 .jpg

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Looks like I should of did more googling before posting. Correct me if wrong but as far as I can tell it looks like the city is off limits but the beaches are OK?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... as far as how the Antiquities Act of 1906 is enforced....

Huh ? ARPA would only apply to federal areas. Are the areas you list federally administered ?

.... it looks like the city is off limits but the beaches are OK?

What are you reading that the city is "off-limits" ? Got a link ?

As far as the beaches being "ok" : Don't think that you need an express "ok" before some place is allowed. Ie.: to think that you need to find some text print or sign saying "MD'ing allowed here". On the contrary: If it's not expressly disallowed (ie.: silent on the subject), then: Presto, it's not prohibited. There need-not-be express allowances or mention of it.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ? ARPA would only apply to federal areas. Are the areas you list federally administered ?

What are you reading that the city is "off-limits" ? Got a link ?

As far as the beaches being "ok" : Don't think that you need an express "ok" before some place is allowed. Ie.: to think that you need to find some text print or sign saying "MD'ing allowed here". On the contrary: If it's not expressly disallowed (ie.: silent on the subject), then: Presto, it's not prohibited. There need-not-be express allowances or mention of it.

https://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-South-Carolina.html
quote.....
If you are Metal detecting in South Carolina, pay attention to the Antiquities Act of 1906. <<< This is why I asked

As far as the city being off limits I cant find the site that I read that, at but I believe it was from another forum post. It read something like private property in the city was OK but stay away from the city owned land. I know some cities want permits others don't care as long as digging is neat. I was hoping a local could chime in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
https://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-South-Carolina.html
quote.....
If you are Metal detecting in South Carolina, pay attention to the Antiquities Act of 1906....

And this is a case example of how such handy-dandy compendiums fail to tell the whole story. That one is simply wrong. The ARPA law they allude to only applies to federal land. Not all public land in South Carolina. Someone needs to send an email to whomever is hosting that web-link, and straighten them out. Otherwise, just like here, skittish newbies envision all sorts of "sky-is-falling" fears for their "evil hobby" .

And even in-so-far as the federal land to which it applies: It is argued 100 yr. old vs 50 yr. old, depending on who's opinion you're going by. And some have even argued that coins are exempt (although I believe that's a mis-interpretation of the wording which mentions coins).

But realistically speaking, it's all a moot point. Because it's only ever enforced if someone were being a true nuisance, poking around obvious historic sensitive monuments. If you're out in the middle of forests (BLM, NFS) in the middle of BFE, do you really think someone is out there checking the dates of your coins , armed with a calculator ?

....As far as the city being off limits I cant find the site that I read that, at but I believe it was from another forum post.....

Sure. And often-time, when you try to trace the origin or basis of such claims that you "read on a post", you often find that the person who said it was.... drum roll .... repeating a post they read. And so on till infinity. And when you eventually DO find some source of a person who received a first-hand "no", it is often not linked to an actual chapter and verse law or rule that truly says "no md'ing". But instead can be someone who received a "scram" (because a gardener was having a bad hair day). Or someone showed up at city hall asking "Hi, can I detect?" And got an obligatory safe answer of "no" (because they envisioned geeks with shovels). So the md'r promptly puts it on a post. Which leads to links, which leads to links, which ...... you get the picture.

And the entire time, old-timers in that locale, who never had a problem, are left scratching their heads saying "since when ?"

Look up laws/rules for yourself. If you don't find something that truly explicitly says "no md'ing", then ... not prohibited. Don't ask bored bureaucrats. Look it up yourself. Just avoid obvious sensitive monuments. Don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when busy-bodies are watching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions