Foreclosed Property?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... the mortgage companies and they have no real interest in them so no need to overthink it. ...

I have had this conversation before, on similar threads. Eg.: If no one cares, then ....why is any of us "caring" ?

But there is a curious push-back: If you *could* fetch a "no" (by asking long enough, and high enough, up the chain of command), then ... presto: Someone "has interest" and presto: "Someone cares" and might say no. Thus ... how can you say no one has any interest ? That merely means you didn't ask long enough and high enough. Right ?

Banks don't own foreclosed property ... ever. It's against the banking laws.

You've been fooled by a guy with a lawnmower and a phone.

Right. Continue to argue with "yes's". After all, they might not be high enough up the chain of command or say-so. Right ?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha Everyone is a know it all. A property management company was assigned to maintain the estate until transition. The bank hired this company. This is a 1.2 million dollar estate not your neighbors house. I was allowed on the grounds except in the buildings. But I was givin a tour. Your theory of a random guy with a lawnmower decides to cut 5+ acres out the kindness of his heart. Oh and has a cell phone. You might think you know every situation, but in this case your WRONG buddy.

I wasn't aware were were buddies? Are you trying to make friends or back up a silly story about banks owning foreclosed properties?

I'm all for the friends thing but I think you may have some very big misconceptions about ownership and the nature of legal permission. Maybe we could get together for a beer and I could educate you about the nature of private property and the duties and rights of private property management companies buddy.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha Everyone is a know it all. A property management company was assigned to maintain the estate until transition. The bank hired this company. This is a 1.2 million dollar estate not your neighbors house. I was allowed on the grounds except in the buildings. But I was givin a tour. Your theory of a random guy with a lawnmower decides to cut 5+ acres out the kindness of his heart. Oh and has a cell phone. You might think you know every situation, but in this case your WRONG buddy.

sounds like a trailer park to me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... and the nature of legal permission......

Clay, the "nature of legal permission" is this: If you can find ANYONE ON EARTH to say "no", then.... you do not have "permission". It is your God-given duty to make sure every last person on the planet loves and adores you, and signs off on your intentions (ie.: red-carpets). Until you have that, you don't have "permission".

In fact, you better not even leave your front door in the morning. Someone may not like that either. Tsk tsk.

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had great luck contacting realtors.
Sometimes it's a "no", but it's always worth a shot.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay, the "nature of legal permission" is this: If you can find ANYONE ON EARTH to say "no", then.... you do not have "permission". It is your God-given duty to make sure every last person on the planet loves and adores you, and signs off on your intentions (ie.: red-carpets). Until you have that, you don't have "permission".

In fact, you better not even leave your front door in the morning. Someone may not like that either. Tsk tsk.

Actually Tom you only need permission from the private property owner to detect. If you don't have that permission you are taking private property. That's generally known as theft in the law although in some states they may use words like larceny or unlawful conversion. It's still theft no matter what it's called.

My mom taught me it's wrong to take things that are not yours without the owner's permission. Maybe your mom had a different take on things? Did she tell you it's OK to take other people's stuff if they weren't looking? Maybe better not to ask before taking other peoples stuff because they might not want you to take their stuff?

It really doesn't matter what the bank, property management company, grounds maintenance, dogcatcher, random people on the internet or neighbor says. Yes or no it all comes down to the owner and no one else when you are dealing with private property.

As for the front door comment - you should probably make sure yours is locked. There are other people who have taken your advice and would love to take your stuff when you aren't there as long as you didn't tell them no.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... it all comes down to the owner ...

Uhhh, ... right. And I thought you and dfallis1 were having a discussion on where the "yes" might come from ?? Ie.: who has the authority to say yes or no. That was the only thing I was joking about. If a landscaper tells me "yes", I tend not to argue. But .... that's just me.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's all be friends!
We should be joining ranks and organizing to hit every dang foreclosed yard across America! Coast to coast baby! Theres probably enough still in the ground for us all to retire!
With all the girls in yoga pants and young men wearing their little sisters stretchy jeans there aren't many new coins being dropped from pockets!
If we are all unemployed during the next wave of foreclosures and homeless or destitute, we can live the dream! It's good to have dreams!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I once met a fellow while detecting. He pulled over the side of a country road, when he saw me md'ing in field (where an 1830's adobe had once stood). He had just bought a detector, and ... since he saw me out along-side the country road, he whipped over and started asking questions.

We exchanged ph. #'s and email addresses. And over the course of the next 6 months or so, I lent him tips about his machine, and exchanged chit-chat about sites in his area he was researching. At a certain point he announced that we "had permission" to detect a certain ... uh .... "highly sensitive" historic monument in our area. Turns out that his wife was on the "flower committee" volunteer ladies, who tended the decorative gardens at this monument historic site. She had gone to her superior volunteer committee person and said "my husband would like to metal detect here".

That upper person had said "sure". And thus, my friend came to me boldly announcing our "permission". I challenged him and said that I didn't think that... whomever his wife was talking to, had that authority. But he insisted that it was fine, they were high-ranking, etc... So ... I didn't argue.

We showed up. I found a rare phoenix button, and was beginning to find other cool things (mankiller ball, etc...). Before long, someone in the adjoining museums spotted us, and came out to read us the riot act. My friend tried to explain our "permission". The confused curator museum person retreated back into the buildings, and we continued to detect. A few minutes later they emerged again (apparently after having made some calls) and ... you guessed it ... our "permission" was promptly over-turned.

As we courteously accepted this information and were preparing to leave, I fully expected them to say "give us all that you found". But that never entered the conversation. The button stayed in my pouch. No questions were ever asked. I would have gladly given it over. But that was never a part of the conversation . So sad :(

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually Tom you only need permission from the private property owner to detect. If you don't have that permission you are taking private property. That's generally known as theft in the law although in some states they may use words like larceny or unlawful conversion. It's still theft no matter what it's called.

My mom taught me it's wrong to take things that are not yours without the owner's permission. Maybe your mom had a different take on things? Did she tell you it's OK to take other people's stuff if they weren't looking? Maybe better not to ask before taking other peoples stuff because they might not want you to take their stuff?

It really doesn't matter what the bank, property management company, grounds maintenance, dogcatcher, random people on the internet or neighbor says. Yes or no it all comes down to the owner and no one else when you are dealing with private property.

As for the front door comment - you should probably make sure yours is locked. There are other people who have taken your advice and would love to take your stuff when you aren't there as long as you didn't tell them no.

I am going off topic here Clay; but I have to ask, that fella in your post picture, is he wearing a gold pan.

screen is so small, but it really looks that way.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... during the next wave of foreclosures ...

That's what a lot of forecasters are predicting. Another "market correction". But supposedly it won't be as bad as the one from 2007 to 2009-ish. D/t lending policies are not as lax as they were in those years.

I distinctly recall, in 2009-ish, in my cities, that some neighborhoods were so hard hit, that it wasn't unusual to see 2 or 3 boarded up homes per block (overgrown grass, etc...). And some guys I knew made sport of going yard-to-yard and hitting those. WASN'T ME ... honest !

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going off topic here Clay; but I have to ask, that fella in your post picture, is he wearing a gold pan.

screen is so small, but it really looks that way.

Yeah he is Oddjob. That picture is from when I attempted to teach an Injun to pan at 10,000 foot elevation. The only gold he got was a nugget that he promptly threw away exclaiming "it's too small". Then he decided to wear the pan as headgear.

The guy is one of my best friends so I figger he was the best person to teach me not to take Injuns prospecting.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Legal this, Legal that whatever, you know right from wrong.

This is a family forum and many new curious members come here seeking advice, just because he kept it on the honest and morally correct side does not mean he is busting anyones balls.

Go through all his post, just randomly pick some. Clay is always providing great sound advice and facts, which are always on the moral the side, there is no question about it at all.

You have a good day now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfallis1, please post by our rules, no insulting other members.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the insults all the way around were wrong. This topic has been discussed a 100 times though and everyone always gets bad information. I have a real estate license as I can ask the bank or owner that holds the title. The title holder here wins. I do not care about the neighbors if they stop and ask me to get lost. I tell them to mind their own business. Some members say just do what ever you want to. That is when the nosey neighbor calls the law and you end up in trouble. Someone holds the title and the answer is this case is the court house or bank and good luck with them. It is when they assign it to a real estate agent you have the best chance in getting permission even though they are selling for the bank and sometimes for a court. Most lots here are 5 acres I guess it is where you live and 5 acres is not a lot of land around here.
Good luck call the realtor to look at it or ask them permission.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's all be friends!
We should be joining ranks and organizing to hit every dang foreclosed yard across America! Coast to coast baby! Theres probably enough still in the ground for us all to retire!
With all the girls in yoga pants and young men wearing their little sisters stretchy jeans there aren't many new coins being dropped from pockets!
If we are all unemployed during the next wave of foreclosures and homeless or destitute, we can live the dream! It's good to have dreams!

Coins ? What are coins ??? & " A paper Dollar " ???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many variables that go into "should I hunt or Not " such & such property.

During the Crash I only hunted about 2-4 yards that actually had a respectable home on it. Most were Dumps for Landscapers (maybe some of the ones that give permissions ) but most foreclosures were built from 1988-2009 & bought by people who had hard times or BAD judgement along with the banks .

Now there 'in my book' are levels of Abandoned properties , that's really what i'm talking about , most sites did not have standing structures on them. Did I even want to detect the homes in "Ivory Ranch " 'from 400,000 + , no.

I did want to detect lands / structures that I have been driving by for years with 0 activity. / Maybe but most were trash dumps . There were large homes on acreage with big fields that had historic activity in the past , did I detect those ? No but wanted to .
I put our garage door down , Heck that's common sense (Even in a gated community ) I don't live in such a place , also there are so many places around town that people leave their Autos unlocked , to save the cost of a window & just don't leave valuables in their can / places I can not afford to live.

So everybody carry on & take responsibility for your actions.

Sorry I wanted to add more info With details but I figure Common Sense is what I mean.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
"the property does not pass to the lender (mortgage holder) until the foreclosure sale has been approved by the court."

Only in a judicial foreclosure. Many states, like mine in AZ, have trustee sales. the sale happens on the courthouse steps, and is paid for within 24 hours. heck, in TX it is paid for within the hour. In both states, NO court, no judge. Done deal. Once sold, it is owned by whoever buys it. If the bank buys it back (No third party bidder) then the bank owns it the day of foreclosure. A gain, no court, no judge.
If the bank buys it back, they own it, and it is no longer in the process of foreclosure, but now called an REO. real Estate Owned. And it stays that way for months many times before anyone even goes out to check on it. I've known owners to stay in their houses for five months after foreclosure because no one3 came and told them to get out. Living for free.
FYI - when people say a property is in foreclosure, they normally are referring to REO properties. They use it the same as a property is a foreclosure. And many times they call one in the process a pre-foreclosure. At least in Deed of Trust states. Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread