US Govt Federal Lands and Indian Lands - Treasure recovery - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: US Govt Federal Lands and Indian Lands - Treasure recovery

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24679 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Back in the 1980s, there were a few of us that had placer mined certain tracts of an alluvial fan as kids, coming off a well known gold bearing mountain range in Arizona. By the time I got out of the Army and came home in the late 1970s, most of those tracts had been designated "State Trust Lands." Now a few "prospectors" were caught digging gold, and they had their vehicles impounded, their equipment confiscated, their hands cuffed, and were transported to the Yavapai County jail to await their bail hearing. The rest of us got lucky. Desert Nighthawks. Over three-years, two guys were gored by wild pigs, one was bitten by a coyote, three were bitten by rattlesnakes (one almost died before the helicopter got there), and a couple guys including myself got hit by scorpions - Painful! Night hunting in the desert is a dangerous business with no lights! You can however, read a book when the moon is full!

us
    Sep 2013
    Sutter Creek, Ca.
    Whites 6000di pro plus Whites id beach hunter Got rid of the Minelab pointer, Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer. Minelab Xterra 705 Ibuprofen
    272 times
    Metal Detecting
    So what I'm reading is that we are involved in illegal activity while detecting.
    Please tell me I'm wrong in this assumption.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Pro Find 35, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby (KIA), Darby, The Sooperoo
    630 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by tahomatom View Post
    So what I'm reading is that we are involved in illegal activity while detecting.
    Please tell me I'm wrong in this assumption.
    YES, on some level, and in some way, since 1906 the law says you can't take old stuff from national,and state land in many cases.

Knowing the law doesn't have much effect on whether or not I detect in general, because in general the act of detecting is lawful. Though knowing what I'm doing may be some form of unlawful act can govern when, where, and how I might keep something I recover, or what I might do with it after I dig.
    It ain't treasure, If ya can't touch it.

us
    Sep 2013
    Sutter Creek, Ca.
    Whites 6000di pro plus Whites id beach hunter Got rid of the Minelab pointer, Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer. Minelab Xterra 705 Ibuprofen
    272 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
    YES, on some level, and in some way, since 1906 the law says you can't take old stuff from national,and state land in many cases.

Knowing the law doesn't have much effect on whether or not I detect in general, because in general the act of detecting is lawful. Though knowing what I'm doing may be some form of unlawful act can govern when, where, and how I might keep something I recover, or what I might do with it after I dig.
    Thanks A+1, I would imagine if you also had a bag of pull tops and trash the official would have to use discretionary judgment on the call to effect arrest. If this was to happen I would request the bag of trash be logged in as evidence.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Pro Find 35, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby (KIA), Darby, The Sooperoo
    630 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post

I need to add, or better yet should have started with.....

Metal detecting itself IS NOT unlawful on federal land, with exceptions such as national parks or other specifically stated places, and possibly the specific ruling of the national land in question. It comes down to what you find, and what you take.

Here in Michigan, I detect in the Huron-Manistee National forest. Their policy is pretty straightforward, this is an applicable summary copied from their website.

"Forest Service policy does not prohibit the use of metal detectors. However, there are limitations to their use in special areas with National Forests.

A series of regulations and laws govern the uses and prohibitions related to metal detectors. While the use of a metal detector is not prohibited, the excavation and removal of artifacts from National Forests System lands is a prohibited act.

The Acts governing metal detector use are summarized below:

Secretary of Agriculture Regulation 36 CFR 261.9 prohibits the excavation and/or removal of ""any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resource, structure, site, artifact, or property."" This prohibition is mandated by two laws:
    the 1906 Antiquities Act and
    the 1979 Archeological Resources Protection Act.
    Legal activities involving the use of a metal detector might include using the device on a beach or in a recreation area to collect contemporary coins, jewelry, and other metal objects less than 50 years old."

Like it or not, the overseers state you CAN detect, but you can only really detect in a newer, populated place, and only take things less than 50 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links