Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders’ Keepers?

In 2014, this article was run in a Scottish newspaper.

One of the most important Viking hoards ever found in Scotland has just been announced.
The historically significant find was made by Derek McLennan, a committed metal detector enthusiast who has been searching around the area in Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland) for the last year. The hoard contains more than one hundred artefacts, many of which are unique. They are now in the care of the Treasure Trove Unit and considered to be of international importance.

The hoard falls under the Scots law of treasure trove, and is currently in the care of the Treasure Trove Unit. The law provides for a reward to be made to the finder which is judged equivalent to the market value of the items. The Church of Scotland General Trustees, as the landowners, have reached agreement with Derek about an equitable sharing of any proceeds which will eventually be awarded. Secretary to the General Trustees, David Robertson said “We are very excited to have been part of such an historic find and we commend Derek for the spirit in which he has worked with us and the other agencies involved in making sure everything is properly registered and accounted for. Any money arising from this will first and foremost be used for the good of the local parish. We recognise Derek is very responsible in pursuing his interest, but we do not encourage metal detecting on Church land unless detailed arrangements have been agreed beforehand with the General Trustees.”

https://www.archaeology.wiki/blog/2014/10/14/spectacular-viking-treasure-hoard-found-church-land/

Now the Church of Scotland has been unable to collect their potion of the $£2M in finder’s fee - they can’t seem to get in touch with the finder, Derek, and have now sued for recovery per their alleged written agreement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ng-derek-mclennan-dumfriesshire-a9106291.html

This kind of thing gives us all a bad name - Derek is a major “influencer” for Minelab and I bet that they aren’t happy about the publicity in the UK.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Ouch..... definitely a black eye there. The ramifications of this could put the hurt on working with said church in the future. If he did just turn out to be an unsavory character I would hope Minelab would drop him.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure can turn the best of us into people we were not before finding it

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Treasure can turn the best of us into people we were not before finding it

I don't think so, in my case. I put a posting on the Aztec thread that if I did get the treasure, which could conceivably be hundreds of millions of dollars, I have no need for more money than I have. It would be like an albatross around my neck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread