jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1891 Paul Seifert claimed he found a RACE of SUPER Human Beings in a cave between Gotham and Muscoda. along the Wisconsin River. in a remote cave.

He claimed to have found, BONES, Relics, & Copper arrow Points.

He sent a Letter to a Friend in AUSTRIA telling him.

His Friend Came to Wisconsin.

they First Climed to the Top of a Hill Known Locally As BOGUS BLUFF.

They Then Lowered Themselves by rope to a crevice with a narrow ledge leading into the cave.

once In the Cave they found skulls, bones, axes, spear and arrow points, broken pottery, etc.
and everything was over sized.

altho the indians knew the place they said it was not a burial site.

his friend returned to Austria & wrote a Book on their Discovery.

Seifert was Ridiculed by all the locals when they heard his story.

he then blew the entrance shut.

in SEPT 1905, 2 Skeletons were found in a Gravel Bed near the Town of Forest,

When Measured They Would have been 7Ft. Tall.

Fruther STREET Excavation in La Crosse turned up some Being Between 7 & 9 FEET TALL.

The Legend Of the Giants Was Known in 1881 with the finding of bones back then already.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MISSIPPI RIVER PIRATES

Between 1856 & 1858

in 1858 a Large accumilation of Stolen Artifacts Was Found Above the FERRY at Prairie Du Chein

They Were Holding Up in a CAMP on BIG ISLAND.

The Thieves Leader was a DR. BELL.

2 More Boat Loads of Stolen Property was Found On BELL ISLAND, consisting of, LIQUOR, DRY GOODS,STOVES, DRUGS, & more worth over $4,000.00.

ODDS are There Are More where He & his Gang Held Up.

there is an Article Published on these RIVER PIRATES by the STATE of IOWA HISTORICL SOCIETY, in 1942. this article may give better details.

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
OMG Jeff, you are making me want to get out the book that came with my XLT from Kellyco almost 7 years ago! Stories like this abound (you got one for what area you lived in), and I bet if the right person did the right research and detected the right spot, there really is this treasure to be found!!! I haven't been so lucky so far.....

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
I am in Fall Creek,WI. I have a spots researched in Pierce, Lincoln, Clark, Chippewa, Pepin and Buffalo counties. Some I have gotten permission some not. Check www.losttreasure.com for more info and links.

W

wisc pete

Hi, Im new to the forum.I read some of the replies about the prairie du chien area and i had to respond.I live about 14 miles away from prairie du chien and also lived there for over 10 years.St feriole Island .A.K.A the 4th ward,Was shut down for detecting in 1996.The city counsel voted and its a shame .There is alot of history there back to 1673 as a fur traders community,two military forts ect... I wasnt able to own a detector before 1996 but it would have been GREAT to get in there.Maybe someday they will change their minds.Darn historical society! Just letting everyone know.h|h

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hello ,
I am new to this site also and am from Northern Wisconsin....for a little while yet. Come summer I will be heading West on a Ghost town, treasure hunting expedition , Winding down in New Mexico and the Texas Coast. I plan on RV-ing it with my daughters ages 8 and 10 and eventually end up buying a live aboard motor sailer once near the coast . I am goiing to be writing ,photographing and hopefully striking it rich..hahaha....All though land bound for now, I will be living on a boat and see where that adventure takes me. Very interested in the salvaging and writing stories on the finds, mind and others. Its nice to see other women interested in this and from Wisconsin also.
I was raised in Northern Wisconsin and have been searching many sites from Marathon County through Price. I treasure detect and look for Indian camps /early pioneer settlements. Basically towns no longer living. Would love to compare stories, welcome all helpful info on sites and willing to share thoughts..... I too was born to late to be the pirate in my heart! But we will give it a shot!
My RV is the Pink Pearl so if anyone sees me on the back roads....make sure you wave....
Gypsy Heart

L

Lex

heh I should have read thsi one before posting my own:)
Check a cpl posts up for a cpl sites at Black River Falls.

Here is another quick one in the same area......

From where I found the big wagon wheels continue UP-STREAM about half a mile and there is a small indention on the train track side from a water run off. The indention must have been a dump back in the early days as I found a large quantity of multi-part bottles there as well as some old iron pieces.

Another dump was found along the river on the opposite side of the city. Go down the trail under the bridge and follow the river till you come to the first real creek. Cross the creek and turn left following it for about 100 feet. Lots of old cone and flat top beer cans and a few wierd items. Back in the early days (20s-40s) there was a bar above the creek. When I was there is was big sandy area that was good rabbit hunting.

A third find is along the river another mile or so (again across from the town) The bank gets pretty steep but up the bank is an old shop. I think it was a garage when I was in school. I found a military style belt buckle there that had "Gott mitt uns" on an embossed circle there along with two old tins. One tin had a couple indian pennies in it, the other was filled with dirt and had a big hole in one side.

And now my arrowhead places.......From Black River head south on 54 (I rode my bike a long way for these!) If I remember correctly Sparta is south east of BRF and 54 is on the other side of the river going SW. (I just confirmed that by looking at google earth.)
I found arrowheads in several of the corn fields on the left hand side going down 54. I also found a few on the right side but not nearly as many as the left hand side for some reason. Best time was in the spring after first plow either in the morning or just after it rained.

I still have the first one I found in my little treasure box. A nice little red bird point:)

Z

ZumbroKid

Hey Gyspyheart, what is the name of the ghost town between Prentice and Cataba?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Free...its Pennington
Nothing left except few foundations....been there plentty of times...actuially lived about 1/4 mile down the road for a while.

Z

ZumbroKid

You lived 1/4 mile away! I lived only 1 mile away from it. What years did you live there? To give further info it is near old 8 and Beaumont rd. I lived on aspen rd.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
hahah now thats to funny...drop off point of the earth..actually my parents lived there when I was small...but i have been down there a couple of years ago to the old pennington train depot area

Z

ZumbroKid

You might of been one of the local girls that had a crush on me. I can't remember all the their names.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I Know its early in the morning...but wake up Free....wake up!

If I would have had a crush on you...hahah...you definately would know who I am ...because I do the same things now, that I did back then...

But come to think of it all the little boys and old men had a crushes on me. Which one did you say you were? Give me a birth year so I can place you? Actually I lived near high 8# in the 60's... way before your time

Z

ZumbroKid

Let's see what all of you are finding in Wisconsin. Someone claimed it was the best state to hunt in! ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lex said:
OhhhK maybe i need to take this one off my notice list:P
Dont worry Lex...just some of us trying to be funny ;)
FreeTwoDtect said:
Let's see what all of you are finding in Wisconsin. Someone claimed it was the best state to hunt in!? ;)
Well we know you are the "Token King" :D
I am finding alot of snow and ice these days...wah
I hunt older sites ...in the boonies...I will walk in five miles just to find a old log cabin site..am interested in everything found at these sites... but like stoneware and old tools and cast iron toys . Of course I wont pass up a cache if I find one...just have to find one first to really test myself...I do seem to come across alot of old jewelry...
when I do find coin..I noticed that its usually Liberty Halves (1941 and 1942),Peace dollars(mostly in the 21,22 years) Morgans and Indian head cents ...and I will have a run on those...then I had a run where all i was finding was Ike dollars...??? And lots and lots of merc dimes ...

Z

ZumbroKid

I was wanting to see some actual finds. Next season i'll post my finds, at least what they are, but i think i'll hold back the photos. After all 99% of the finds are common coins and everyday relics. I'll save the photos up for special occasions.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
ohhh you want pictures....ok ... will need to wait until after christmas .....hoping santa brings the new digital...you keep posting yours though...you have had some great finds and we all enjoy seeing them...envious tho...

L

Lex

Above a few replies I let on where I got most of my arrow heads and such....Here is a picture of my first ever found one as well as my first skinning knife find. Both were found south of Black River Falls on HWY 54.

Attachments

• Picture16 074A.jpg
    Picture16 074A.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Picture16 075A.jpg
    Picture16 075A.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,047
L

Lex

Here is another one in Wisconsin in the northern part.....

When I was in my teens I attended a work camp called The Youth Conservation Corp in Ashland Wisconsin. We did alot of work in and around the Apostle Islands area including on one of the islands itself. Two nice gold rings were lost that I know of by people in my group.

The first was right off of the pier on Atwood Island. (I think that they have changed the name of the island since) We were diving off the pier into the "very" cold water when she lost her ring. The pier was straight out from the only building on the island. We did alot of exploring on the island and found some strange items. One was an older car in the middle of the forest. No idea how a car got on the island! Another was a roughed in airstrip.

The second ring was lost at a place called twin falls. Again the water was cold. We were jumping off the top of the small falls into the water below. The water was so areated that we would seldom hit bottom even though the water was only about eight feet deep. We didnt even try to find that one as we just could not see well enough. Since this seemed to be a very popular place I would be willing to bet that alot more jewelry is there.

Lex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread