Ghost Church

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Check out this place and tell me it doesn't get the imagination rolling! Found this spot and talked to two of the neighbors who said they didn't know who owned the land, granted the neighbors are about 1/4 in either direction. There is a posted sign that looks almost as old as the church itself dangling from an old tree. I got the GPS coordinates from the spot. Does anyone know of a way to see who owns the property with nothing more to go on than the GPS info?

Dudes

Attachments

• Church.JPG
    Church.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 471

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey dude, nice place. I would start with the closest addresses, figure the address for the church then get the tax map id. From there you just go through the county tax and or assesors office to find the property owner. Good luck and HH! Chris

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Thanks Chris!! For some reason the address thing never occured to me, I was too hung up on having the coordinates. The neighbors' addresses on either side ought to give a pretty good idea as to the location of this spot.

Thanks again!

Dudes

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Awesome site!!!! I'm really jealous! Hope you get permission and find a lot of great stuff! Keep us posted.

vicki

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the Local POST OFFICE.

I'v used them Before.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
another thing is if there is another church close to this one you might try asking them...i have found that often these older church areas were donated to the churches from estates with the express directive in the will that the property was to remain church property '' for ever and ever''...if this is the case, the closest church most likely owns this........................gldhntr

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Thanks for all the help, I will definetely let everyone know what happens with this site but it's a little over 2 hours away from me so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get away to check it out real well. My parents have a trailer they go to in this area every weekend so maybe I can talk them into going for a little drive on an old dirt road to get some addresses... Thanks again for all the ideas.

Dudes

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Dudes, What's the problem? I'f I was interested in coin shooting the old church I'd just walk In and do it! I've looked around many old churches and never had any trouble. Just be kind to the ground and leave it like you found it. You'll likely find someone has already worked it and the finds few. Plus the weeds will slow you down. I'd say just go for it. Unless your thinking of buying the place?

K

Kentucky Kache

That's really a nice old site, and I would find a way to hunt it. Be sure to post pics of your finds.

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Monk,

I would let anyone do just about anything on my property as long as they asked me first so I feel the same way about this. Before I can be comfortable hunting this area, I need to talk to the owner. Hopefully the tax or post office can give me some info.

Dudes

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
Get a plat book from the county. They list all land ownership and the map book has grid lines every mile or quarter mile with lat and long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread