The Cave Near Muskogee OK

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In her words to me the cave had several rooms filled with rifles, swords, ammunition, food and uniforms. She never said what kind of uniforms just that they were military uniforms. There was one thing that amazed her and that was a cannon or artillery field piece. She could not figure out how it had gotten there for it must have been a very strenuous job for anyone to have gotten this thing halfway up a sheer cliff.

Now we know there was a legend around the area and probably why, like all legends, every few years someone claims to have found it. There was just recently a thread about this exact thing and his story matches very closely: same area, same story about rifles and uniforms. But his picture gave away that it wasn't some undiscovered civil war stash cave, as he posted up a cavalry button from around the 1920's he found in it, which means it has stuff in it spanning decades, even up to 60 years past the civil war. The rifle looks to be the remnants of an older 1800's rifle or pistol, and looks like a gun you'd pull from the bottom of a river so it was in a very wet area, not a dry cave for sure. My guess is still just a sink hole/cave style dump site but he said he was going out there after easter, so hopefully he'll post up the pictures he said he was going to take.

button2.jpg
gun.png

Last edited:

Jakewc10

Greenie
Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I found 2 caves now full of civil war stuff but they’re quite aways from saddleback mountain. My theory is that there is a couple different caves in this area and the battle of honey springs is smack dab in the middle but the stuff I’ve found are confederate and I had a lot of it checked out by an expert from Memphis and he confirmed it was possibly a stash site and the confederates were pushing north to saddleback but were not armed. So the theory he gave me was they were trying to get to their weapon stashes. Also heard a story from an old man in Haskell about finding a cave by stone bluff that had a cannon inside. So this area is fully unexplored.

joe dirt 1959

Oct 30, 2022
I am a newbie here so please don't crucify me if you don't believe this story.

The only reason I am writing this and posting it is that I hope that someone will take this seriously and search for it. There will be those that will immediately discount this tale and cry hoax but I assure you that the source of information is of the highest form. The information does not come from a friend of a friend of someones cousin but from someone who visited the site.

I cannot give you the name of the source as we last parted on bad terms but her integrity and honesty are of the highest form for she was the Great Honored Woman of the Cherokee and Creek Nations.

The story begins with her great grandfather Jim Bullet a survivor of the Trail of Tears. When he reached the new Indian Territory he claimed some land near what is now Muskogee Oklahoma. He took the daughter of White Tobacco Sam (her name was Big Lucy) the medicine man as his wife and they built a cabin and soon a baby girl was born to them.

White Tobacco Sam had trained Jim Bullet as a medicine man and when Jim chose his land he chose the plot across the road from the ancient burial ground as he thought it his duty to look after the grounds. Jim Bullet is now buried in this same cemetery and I have seen his gravestone myself.

The cabin of Jim and Big Lucy was directly across the dirt road from the burial grounds and one day while Jim was in town running errands Lucy was washing clothes on a table on the side of the cabin. She had left the baby on a pallet of wood beside the front door of the cabin as was her usual habit for it was in the shade and cooler for the child. As she came around the corner of the cabin toward the front door she saw a large creature covered in brownish red hair leaning over her daughter. She immediately grabbed a piece of wood and attacked the creature trying to scare it off but the creature grabbed the baby and ran across the road.

Jim Bullet just happened to be riding down the road towards the cabin and saw the creature running away from the cabin and hearing his wife's cries gave chase through the burial grounds towards Saddleback Mountain. He lost sight of the creature but followed by tracking as best he could till they came to the base of the mountain where he lost the trail. He immediately galloped back into town and sounded the alarm and a posse was raised. They searched the whole area of the mountain and around it for three days and found nothing and finally gave up the search.

Jim Bullet though could not give up the search and every spare minute he had for years after he examined every square inch of the mountain and it is here that the story really begins for during his search he came across a cave and deep in the cave he found a man made wooden door and behind it all sorts of wonders.

The Great Honored Woman heard these stories passed down from her elders about a cave with the man made door and one day when she was in her late teens she decided to find this cave. She spent many days and weeks combing the mountain and finally came across the cave high on a cliff that was very difficult to attain.

In her words to me the cave had several rooms filled with rifles, swords, ammunition, food and uniforms. She never said what kind of uniforms just that they were military uniforms. There was one thing that amazed her and that was a cannon or artillery field piece. She could not figure out how it had gotten there for it must have been a very strenuous job for anyone to have gotten this thing halfway up a sheer cliff.

She took a single sword as proof that she had found the cache and returned home with it. Her father was extremely upset that she had removed the sword and ordered her to take it back which she did and never returned to the cave after that.

The cave is said to be on the eastern side of Saddleback Mountain and not noticeable until you are right on top of it. The cave can only be reached with the use of ropes and climbing skills and the area is supposed to be crawling with rattlesnakes.

Neither I nor the Great Honored Woman are of an age or physical condition to go find this place again but from what she has told me the cave is worth finding.

I don't care who believes this story or not I just wish to relay it for those who wish to seek it.
I ran across this story about 15 yrs ago, went to the mountain or hill, and there was a house built on the east end of it where I think the entrance is so I pursued it no further, has anyone found it yet?

NatesOffGrid

Aug 22, 2023
14 years later. Just read through the entire thread. I was actually searching for cave and mine info around Fort Gibson, but this pulled me in. Lol. I remember riding in the car as a kid and would always tell my dad I wanted to climb that hill. Never new it was called saddle back mountain. But I don't think it's the second highest peak in OK. There are plenty more peaks on Talamina Drive with taller peaks. As well as Poteau hill. Would still love to go see this hill. Even as an overweight 40 year old, I still try to adventure. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread