end of CW

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
At and near the end of the "War Between The States" folks in the South were dictated to surrender their weapons. And what do you suppose their response was? @%$#!@#%$!!!
There were many that merely put them in hiding as they were expecting things to not exactly end as they were told.
Therein lies the interesting part. It was very common for these same folks to bury their guns intact and ready to use again if the case arose.
Supposedly many were covered in axle grease and wrapped in layers of sackcloth or whatever and buried. Not by the house, as they may have been found and that would have been bad. But out under the covered pole sheds and barns, where a roof protected them as well.
I know of a couple of these finds personally and from what I've heard, after the many layers of cloth were removed and grease cleaned off, the arms were still in pristine condition. So don't pass up the opportunity of MD'g these old sites and above all check all ferrous signals.
Oh, one more thing, any of these that are found, you are required to report to ME! ;D
Good luck,
BW

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
My Mothers youngest brother married a girl from Madison Parish in Louisiana. Her parents lived in a pre civil war farmhouse about five miles east of Somerset. This was back in the late 50's. They kept tuning up old silver coins in the garden behind the house. Then one day, they found a civil war era rifle. It was wrapped in greased cloth as previously described. The rifle was in pristine condition at the time it was found.
Yes. I got my uncle to show me the location about four years ago. Got permission hunt the location. Then, before I had a chance to hunt, a club had a group hunt on some of the adjoining property. Left open holes and trash. Rutted up the place. Landlord said, never again. Too this day, Old Tensas and I are still trying to regain access. :icon_scratch:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
So do we. Tensas may be able to get the door open again. :thumbsup:

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I know a person that found a cache of Confederate arms that were buried at the end of the war, they found a crate with rifles and pistols in it which was buried under part of a house.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Still a lot of stuff out there to be found. The reason it is hard to find, is because the people that hid it knew what they were doing. I know of two caches of gold found in Franklin Parish, Louisiana. I personally know one of them, and have hunted with the man that found it since his discovery. He is an old black man, and is still alive today. He can no longer hunt, as his legs have gave up the chase. The other was a backhoe operator. He was digging the footings for a nursing home just East of Winnsboro, when he scooped up a cast iron pot in the bucket. The witnesses stated that the coins falling out were gold not silver. The operator folded up his outriggers and drove straight to his truck, dumping dirt and pot into the truck bed. His truck was parked at a Civil War Era Black Baptist Church, next to where the nursing home was being built. Left the backhoe running, drove off and never came back. Both caches had one thing in common,,,Slave Grave Yards.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, GrayCloud, when I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in the 1970s, someone was poking around an old cabin and found at least one case of hidden CW rifles in mint condition thanks to the way they'd been prepared. I want to say it was around Many or Mansfield, but my memory is way past "fuzzy"; more like "hairy". :laughing7:

Added 22 Oct. 2009: The case of rifles were dug up from the dirt floor of the cabin. I want to say there were 3 to 5 cases, but can't be real sure of the exact number of cases. I do remember that the cases were made of wood covered outside with tar.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story has it that is a cave on Lookout Mtn in Chattanoga is a cave on Park property.In this cave are many stored CW rifles. At Chickamauga Bttlefield down the road is the Fuller collection its amazing to see.
They say in the depression there were whiskey barrels full of old Cw rifles in stores for just dollars. Not many takers. In downtown Chattanooga was a large bar and every inch of wall had Cw rifles all over it. My friend has several in pristine dusty shape. I dug at Shilo the hammer and plate nothing else except grape shot. They say they used them under the mud to lift wagons up the muddy road from Bridgeport we said bull then a guy dug about eight rusty ones up in an old road. Many people kept their arms to hunt for food as the North had destroyed all crops and livestock and the people were starving after the war. I am sure were hidden. I want one Bravo :hello:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Man O Man, I have heard a million stories, but never seen anything actually recovered. Corinth Mississippi. After the battle of Corinth wepons were supposed to have been buried in the old section of town. Old Medion Cememtery is supposed to have a chache of CW weapons. The property of a old mansion on Beech Bluff Rd in Jackson Tennessee is supposed to have a hidden cache also. I would love to find on of em!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions