South padre island

Snapper8182

Feb 11, 2010
A friend and I are heading down to South Padre from Northern Wisconsin on Sunday to escape the weather and of course swing out detectors,to much snow here. Anyway its our first trip and we plan to camp on the beach and put as much time as we can into searchin,so were lookin for ideas and advice as we never been there before.So help us out gang. Doug and Aaron,,,Devoted hunters. Also on the way down we are plannin a stop in Garland to pick up a new sea hunter and mabey see Charles Garrett.This is a late post but hope to hear from someone with a tip or two.

RAMITHOME

Greenie
Dec 11, 2009
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500PRO, GARRETT LS INFINIUM, PULSE STARll PRO
I have hunted South Padre Island, mostly durning the off season.
It appears that you have decided to go at the start of spring break.
This could be a good thing, there will be lots and lots of things to
look at. Watch where the people congregate and play, then hunt
towards the late afternoon when they are gone. You won't be
alone, the place is still probably full of snowbirds, and they all have
detectors. If you decide to go over to Boca Chica (this is where the
mouth of the Rio Grand enters the Gulf of Mexico) be careful. A
lot of things can happen there, and most of them are not good.
Personally when I hunt Boca Chica I usually carry. Make sure you can
see your car/truck as it might not be there when you return. It is a beautiful
area, enjoy it, but use caution.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Yes, yes, computer, I know this posting is old, but I have something to add to it. If I read it, others will, too.

Just a thought. I live in McAllen when I am in the States, and SPI is our swimming hole.

You can be sure there aren't many snowbirds on SPI during spring breaks. The traffic is horrid, the restaurants are unavailable, so people from the Valley tend to avoid it during spring break. If someone is there, it would be someone probably living on SPI.

Also, the breakers tend to congregate in small areas, not all over the place as you would think.

My daughter and we have gone there during spring insanity, and we are one of the few on the beach. We enter in the access across from the Convention Center, and almost no one else is there. We take our lunches with us, because it is hours of waiting in places like McD's. Once you enter and get parked, you can walk about as far either direction on the beach that you want. I have not noticed any rules pro or con on MD activity there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread