Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Steel box

I found the attached box in a field that was built from landfill taken from an area where WWII relics have been found, including bombs. Think it's safe to open? Anyone interested? NY City area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	649849  

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    61 times
    It is an old stove. Knock yourself out.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    815 times
    Clear away as much as you can from the door and see what it looks like. The banding around the edges says "safe" to me.....
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    The banding around the edges says "safe" to me.....
    Yeah, and so does the cement, like it was cemented to a wall. If we assume the cement is on the bottom then the hinge-looking thing would be on the bottom and the door would open like an oven. I don't think people cement ovens though. I'll probably buy a folding shovel and go back.

us
    Jun 2012
    West Michigan
    It does look like an oven, but yes I would clear around it a little and if you don't see anything that worries you open it. Always listen to your gut. I for one am interested if there is anything in there.

us
    Sep 2011
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    19 times
    You may have found jimmy Hoffa... Oven or safe...
    Now I've been out in the desert, just doin' my time.
    Searching through the dust, looking for a sign.
    If there's a light up ahead, well brother I don't know.
    But I've got this fever burning, in my soul. - Johnny Cash

Jun 2012
    I have to pull out a lot of weeds before I even consider using the little shovel I bought. Then maybe I'll be able to see the top front of it. I started that job today, and I measured it. It's about 40-1/2" long, 39-1/2" high, and 29" front-to-back.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    I doubt it is a bomb. I would get a long pole and pry it out! I recall the old junky at the dump when I was a kid recovered most of the valuables and you could buy things back from him. I also recall there was always a smokey fire burning. The burned logs indicate a fire that could have exploded your bombs!
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4 times
    Opened yet or what?

Jun 2012
    Not yet. If I see a combination lock, I'll call the media and.or police, I think.

Dec 2006
    329 times
    Borad, does the box look like it should sit horizontal,or vertical,and is the combo on a hasp

Jun 2012
    It doesn't look like it opens like a trunk, though the bracing where it would open if it were a trunk buldges out more than it does by the hinges, so I have to take a closer look. It probably opens like an oven or a safe. If we assume the hinges should be on the side, then it's an inch taller than it is wide. If they should be on the bottom, then it's an inch wider than tall. Hopefully I'll be back there in a few days. I'll post when I have more information.

BTW, lots of people have seen it. There's old grafitti on it and two people came by in the hour or so I was there last time. There may have been concrete poured on it to stabilize it a little. It's in an undeveloped section of a large area that has various ball fields. Oh, WTH... it's in Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn. The city never replied to my e-mail, but if I discover it's a safe, there may be more interest.

Sponsors