Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting article about buried treasure and a mysterious carving in Nevada.

Local News: Monumental mystery: Man says he has information on Church Hollow carving, treasure (2/24/11) | Nevada Daily Mail

~Texas Jay

Quantrill01.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting !
a Search of All Digitized Newspapers 1789-1949 in the Library of Congress
has 0 Articles on Quantrill ever stepping Foot in the state of Nevada.

in fact non of the newspapers seem to have the words quantrill & Nevada (the state *)
within 100 Words of each other

Not sure what that Means. If their Disguises we
so Good ,no one knew. or if it never happened :dontknow:

*However , I did find 1 Result of the words “quantrill nevada” and Frank James in the Nevada, Missouri Post. referring to the battle of Centralia, MO.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

Mexico weekly ledger. (Mexico, Mo.), 27 May 1897.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

So no help from me on this one

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The Nevada Daily Mail is from Nevada, Missouri. All references in the article Texas Jay links to are in the area around that part of Missouri.

Finally time for coffee.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys. I've been studying Quantrill's Guerrillas for the past 12 years and I had never seen a mention of Quantrill in the state of Nevada before reading this article so it could be just an old story that built up over many years of retelling. However, there are a lot of our old history that has not yet been put onto the Internet. I know that because, during decades of my own research, I've found many photographs, newspaper articles, and quotes from old books and documents that had never appeared on the Net until I posted them there.
~Texas Jay

Home - William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as galenrog mentioned Nevada Daily Mail is from Nevada, Missouri.
so the Treasure in Nevada mentioned , may be in Nevada Missouri , not the State Nevada

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as galenrog mentioned Nevada Daily Mail is from Nevada, Missouri.
so the Treasure in Nevada mentioned , may be in Nevada Missouri , not the State Nevada

Exactly, Jeff. We all know, or at least those of us who have studied Quantrill's Guerrillas which included the James brothers and "Bloody Bill" Anderson know, that those guys took a lot of gold, silver, currency, and jewels from the Yankees and Yankee sympathizers during their 4-year campaign which covered all of Missouri, most of Kansas, even as far south as Louisiana and Texas and they definitely were in Nevada, Missouri during the War.
~Texas Jay

OnToLawrence.jpg

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that we have determined that my original post was about Nevada, Missouri, not the state of Nevada, but I mentioned in one of my replies that I didn't think I had ever read a report of Quantrill being in the state of Nevada. Well, thanks to a member of our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group, I can no longer say that. I cannot confirm nor deny the accuracy of this article but it says that some men did see and talk with Quantrell in the state of Nevada in 1868.
From: The Albany Register (Albany, Oregon), August 5, 1871. It's located in the last column on the right side of the page.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...trell&y=0&x=0&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=2

~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread