The Rangers' Creek of Gold - Llano County, Texas

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came across this article by C. F. Eckhardt which tells the story of some Texas Rangers who discovered a creek in Llano County, Texas whose bottom was lined with pebble-size gold nuggets. I first read about this when I was a teenager, shortly after I'd contracted treasure fever, in J. Frank Dobie's Coronado's Children. The author theorizes that the "creek of gold" was actually Cold Creek but I've studied the area for many years and I believe I have another creek in the area (I will leave it unnamed) that fits the description. I've panned in the Llano River some over the years and have found some small specks of gold in crevices in the bedrock there.
Many years ago, there was a man named Fred "Cherokee" Allen who owned a used bookstore in my hometown, Brownwood, Texas. I did a lot of business with him back in the days when Americans still liked to read. He carried a wide selection of books but the main reason I kept going back to his shop was to listen to him as he told me many fascinating stories of his past. I got several good treasure leads from him, one of which I'm still working on today (after 30 years or so since he told me about it). Another story he told was about a couple of college students who spent their summer camped on a creek in Llano County (the creek I'm thinking of), panning for gold. They visited his bookstore one day and produced a leather pouch and showed him some marble-size nuggets they had panned from the creek that summer. Well, I'm rambling now but here's Mr. Eckhardt's story.

Ranger's Creek of Gold.

~Texas Jay

llano-county-map1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions