Railroad Payroll in the 1860s

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know anything or have some links about how the railroad payed its men during the push west? Specifically the Union Pacific? I imagine the common laborers digging in the cut and driving spikes were not payed especially well, but they had to have been paid something.

My main hiccup in my research is just exactly what circulated. Were they paid in coin? Potentially Gold? Or were they paid in paper? Or company store tokens? And then was this horded or spent on liquor and whores?

There are many stories of stage and train robberies involving hard coin, but I havnt found any of these that relate to railroad payroll. Typically the army was paid in coin, and cattlemen also preferred coin because of their distrust of the North and long distances traveled but what about the common railroad man? Papers love to write these grandiose tales but always spare the details.

Any and all leads help thank you

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Civil war soldiers were paid in script. Both sides. I read of a train engineer (Confererate) that was robbed during the war of $2200 in Confederate script. Very few coins found on civil war battlefields. Not sure about the RR. Gary

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some were paid in gold and some railroads paid them in their company-issued paper money. The following quote is from the CPRR Discussion Group:

"...
CPRR Discussion Group said... Albert D. Richardson, authored Beyond the Mississippi describing his trip to the CPRR construction sites, and reporting that: "Irish laborers received thirty dollars per month (gold) and board; Chinese, thirty-one dollars, boarding themselves."

"The Chinese [railroad workers] ... are paid from $30 to $35 in gold a month ... They are credited with having saved about $20 a month." —Alta California, November 9, 1868 Newspaper..."

CPRR Discussion Group - Central Pacific Railroad Photographic History Museum

~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions