The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny first let me say hello then if I find even a small fraction of what you have previously posted I would be amazed/ anyway thanks for the encouraging words I appreciate it.

A great big hello to you! And, you're most welcome.

You'll do just fine as you get out there and learn more with every spot you research, with every adjustment of your settings, with every swing of the coil, with every scrape of the pick, with every target you recover, as you'll do nothing but learn more about what you need to know, and then one day, you'll have a whack of nugget hunting stories of your own to tell.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:

TankerJ

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny I was reading your previous threads you posted of long ago till 2.30am & was just amazed at what & how you went about your discoveries in the frozen North you would be a hard prospector to emulate for sure.I do admire your tenacity & drive I could only hope to learn a small part of your skills in finding those elusive nuggets as you obviously have done but I will give it the best due diligence I can muster & hope I succeed /Eagle & You are guiding me along in doing so best of luck to you both you deserve it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny I was reading your previous threads you posted of long ago till 2.30am & was just amazed at what & how you went about your discoveries in the frozen North you would be a hard prospector to emulate for sure.I do admire your tenacity & drive I could only hope to learn a small part of your skills in finding those elusive nuggets as you obviously have done but I will give it the best due diligence I can muster & hope I succeed /Eagle & You are guiding me along in doing so best of luck to you both you deserve it.

Wow! That's a whole lot of dedicated reading! You deserve a medal for courage, at least, after all of that time.

Thanks for your words of appreciation about the stories, and thanks for your appreciation from both myself, and I'm sure from Eagle as well.

I'm sure he wishes you just as much success in your new pursuit as I do, and by your gleaning tips wherever you can and putting those ideas into practice, you'll sooner or later find your way to the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a whole lot of dedicated reading! You deserve a medal for courage, at least, after all of that time.

Thanks for your words of appreciation about the stories, and thanks for your appreciation from both myself, and I'm sure from Eagle as well.

I'm sure he wishes you just as much success in your new pursuit as I do, and by your gleaning tips wherever you can and putting those ideas into practice, you'll sooner or later find your way to the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Absolutely!! Thanks for the kind comments, and the best of luck in your endevours!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to let my great readers and friends know that I'm thinking about not writing anymore in Tnet. It's been right at two months now and I'm still not getting notices of posts. I know (according to admin.) that I'm not the only one having this problem, but I really don't have the time to check in 10 times a day to see if there are any new posts I need to answer. Then, there's the problem of several posts coming in while I'm busy doing something else, then when I do come in, it takes an hour or better to answer all of them. (Lately, I've found 2 or 3 posts that I missed and didn't reply to them). If yours is one of them, I'm sorry you didn't recieve an answer from me!! Believe me, it wasn't intentional.

Anyway, I'm thinking about starting a "Blog", dedicated to prospecting and moving my stories over there. But, don't be worried, I'll still be coming in to this thread, answering questions and posting stories when I have the time. Hopefully, you'll all come and join me when it's set up.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. (Or eyes, as the case may be). (lol)

Love and Respect,

Eagle

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a blog may be the way to go since people can ask questions on the individual stories so you don't have questions coming on page 100+ for stories you write within the first 10 pages

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a blog may be the way to go since people can ask questions on the individual stories so you don't have questions coming on page 100+ for stories you write within the first 10 pages
Thank you my friend!! I hadn't even thought of that aspect.

Eagle

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't you like to check below the floor boards of this 162 year old adobe?

New life for old relic; Romaggi Adobe | Sonora / Tuolumne News, Sports, & Weather, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, Jamestown | Union Democrat

New life for old relic; Romaggi Adobe Written by Mike Morris, The Union Democrat April 18, 2014 12:38 pm
A construction crew lays asphalt Thursday near the Romaggi Adobe off Highway 49 in Angels Camp. Maggie Beck / Union Democrat, copyright 2014

Just south of Angels Camp along Highway 49 sits a 162-year-old building with crumbling stone walls known as the Romaggi Adobe. The building was constructed by an Italian stonemason named James Romaggi, who came to the foothills in search of gold. He struck it rich and returned to Italy to bring back his future bride.

“He built the house for her,” said Adrian Nestor, an Angels Camp man who has been on a 12-year mission to restore the structure.
Nestor’s vision of creating a museum in the Adobe is now moving forward — a “rebirth” project, as he puts it.
A work crew installed asphalt Thursday, satisfying a building permit requirement that there must be vehicle access to the site. The work is being paid for by Romaggi’s great-great-grandson, who lives in Stockton.
Nestor has actually tracked down 11 Romaggi descendents, from Canada to England.

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good Eagle, cant wait for more stories on your new blog!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't you like to check below the floor boards of this 162 year old adobe?
It could be fun. Personally, I'd like to find enough gold that I could grant Mariposa enough money to tear up the main road through town and re-pave it. That 'highway' was still dirt/clay clean up through the depression. Of course, I'd want exclusive rights to metal detect it. (lol)

Can you imagine what might have been lost in the mud and dust of that street from 1850 through about 1940??
Back in the '70s, the main st. of Merced was torn up to make it more "rustic". That is, they laid a lot of bricks and planted trees, etc. While the street was torn out, a couple of locals went in during the night, (after the work crews went home). According to the Merced Star (news paper, [not sure about the name]), they interviewed one of the men and he admitted that he had found "some" gold coins. He wouldn't say how many, just that it was enough to "make it worthwhile". (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good Eagle, cant wait for more stories on your new blog!:icon_thumright:
It will take a couple more weeks to build the site, but I'll keep everyone informed. In the meanwhile, I'll be keeping this thread active. (Even after the blog is created)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Blog" site is being set up, though it might take a couple of weeks to finish. I imagine that when it is up and running, there will many little things to tweak and re-arrange. If you want to be able to check on it occassionally to see how it's coming, the link will be: http://www.gold-prospecting.com Though keep in mind, it will be 'parked' until at least the home page is set up.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Rumor has it that Fred at the mining shop in Mariposa next to Subway found a gold coin in the berry bushes behind his shop, but you know how rumours are

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rumor has it that Fred at the mining shop in Mariposa next to Subway found a gold coin in the berry bushes behind his shop, but you know how rumours are
"Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see".

That's funny, I was in his shop with mgb (Goldenprospector) about a month ago and when we came out, I told mgb that I'd like to see someone clear all of the blackberry vines out of there, so that I could go in and metal detect. Now, the next time I'm in Mariposa, I'll have to stop and check to see if that area has been cleared. I know no one has detected it in the past, as it's been 'over-grown' ever since my first trip into Mariposa. Blackberrie vines too thick to even crawl through.

But, I hope the rumor is true! That would justify my desire to metal detect it. (lol)

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to come here and see pics of your latest outing. Did you find the jeep trail I told you about?

regards-
C-dad

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard this story a year ago or so, but it was that vine area that was the supposed find area.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to come here and see pics of your latest outing. Did you find the jeep trail I told you about?

regards-
C-dad
I spotted what I'm pretty sure was the "jeep trail", but didn't have the time to explore it. Perhaps the next trip. And, I spent so much time traveling all of the roads that I didn't even think about taking pictures. Sorry! The best thing that happened was that I had a 5 gallon can of gas that I made a last minute decision to take with me. Glad I did, because by the time I got back to Mariposa, I had to put it in the truck just to make it home. (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard this story a year ago or so, but it was that vine area that was the supposed find area.
Ahh, maybe they cut the blackberries down. But if so, there are too many of them right now to even think about going in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread