jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRUCKEE, Cal., May 16. -- There is great excitement in Truckee over the discovery of a portion of the treasure buried by the Donner party in 1846-7. In the early days of gold excitement in this State the Donner party attempted to cross the mountains into California by an untried pass. They were snowed up in the mountains, and suffered great hardships, many dying from cold and starvation.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9C06E2D8163AE533A25754C1A9639C94609ED7CF

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
and because of being snowed in they turned to eating their dead "freinds" for food , some say that not all that were eatten were dead but rather the stronger ones killed off and ate the weaker or sick ones for food.--- ugggllyy.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lived in the Truckee/Tahoe area for over 35 years and the Donner treasure has always been an interest to me.
Many believe that the treasure is buried under I-80 as the original find was near or at the present freeway location. I built a few houses in the late 70's on that hillside and wish I knew about "Dirt Fishing" back in those days. I would have searched all over those properties.

Recently, archeological finds have put doubts into the whole cannibalism story. Not to say it did not happen, but it might have been less severe than the stories lead you to believe.

Heres a little tidbit of info:
There was another campsite a few miles from Donner Lake :wink:

HH
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread