Lost Lebreau gold bullion, Treasure Mountain Colorado

djr1100

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2008
Denver, CO
Look in the book "Colorado's Lost Gold Mines and Buried Treasure" by Caroline Bancroft & Agnes Nafziger. They have references to get you started.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There are two Caroline Bancroft lost treasure in Colorado works of interest. The first is the popular booklet. The second is a scholarly article she wrote in the late 1940's with a somewhat different take on many of the same tales, yarns and legends...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

djr1100

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2008
Denver, CO
What sort of "scholarly article" did she write? In other words, if I was to go looking for the article where should I go? A magazine article? A dusty PhD thesis in the anals of the Colorado School of Mines? a book?

In her booklet she mentions an article called "Lost Mine Legends of Colorado" in the Western Folklore Quarterly. Is this article you are referring to? If so it sounds like it must be worth the read!

Mrs. Bancroft seems to have been a very prolific writer of Colorado folklore, my hats off to her!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
djr1100:

Yes, that's the one. I did not mean to be cryptic when I posted that comment - I simply did not have the cite in front of me.

Perhaps a library in your area participates in the JSTOR system:

http://www.jstor.org/journals/15561283.html

The website has access information. I suggest this might be the fastest way to find this article.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread