Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    4596 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Missing: 500,000 tons of copper

For some 1800 years, beginning abruptly about 3000 BC, some industrious peoples mined ore equivalent to 500,000 tons of copper from Michigan's Isle Royale and Keweenaw Peninsula. Who were these mysterious miners, and what happened to all all that copper? It certainly hasn't been found in the relics of North American Indians. And where was the ore smelted?

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf090/sf090a01.htm

America's Mysterious Furnaces

Casting In Mold Found At Pit Furnace Site
    Stone Masonry At Spruce Hill? -- Spruce Hill Furnaces Melted Copper?
    Copper Casting At Cahokia? -- 1,000 B.C. In Michigan? --

http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    913 times
    silver surfing

Re: Missing: 500,000 tons of copper

Well, it probably ended up in the US cent. Some 1800 years later, there was a half a million tons of zinc unaccounted for...

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2008
    Michigan's Left Coast
    Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

Darn aliens . . . .
    "I'll keep my God, my freedom, my guns, and my money.
    You can keep "THE CHANGE."

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    49 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

E.T. bring back the copper....

CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Oct 2008
    rockwood mi
    Fisher f-70,minelab quattro, garrett ace250

we will make a long distance call to uranus and ask if we can have the copper back nicely and tellem they can keep it if it smells
    Addicted2tecting

us
    Apr 2006
    northeast Wisconsin
    Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
    6 times

Don't remember where I read it, but somebody put forward the idea that some of the copper listed as part of King Solomons hoard may have come from these mines. Timing would be in the right neighborhood....................

Diggem'

Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!

us
    Feb 2008
    Shelby Twp., mi
    Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark

from what i am told a lot of copper pieces have been found in sanilac county and there is no copper there..lot of indian carvings in stone that the dam kids ruined by spray painting it
    Full Time Hunter

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    1 times

there was allot of trading between the Indians, all along the Mississippi, out east to NY. i read a book that talked about much went to the Egyptians, supposedly some of the copper there was tested and matches the copper from the UP
    where's the good stuff

seger98

Quote Originally Posted by Thompy
    there was allot of trading between the Indians, all along the Mississippi, out east to NY. i read a book that talked about much went to the Egyptians, supposedly some of the copper there was tested and matches the copper from the UP

Thompy, did you read the book "The Ancient Mines of Gitchegumee" (<<<Spelling)? The author of this book believes they traded with the Caspians.

You are right about the amount of trading these people did. I have found 4 spots so far that I believe were "Communities" that I have found several pieces of copper at each spot! It's still amazes me how much is out there.

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    1 times

haven't read the book Chris, one that i read talked about trade with the Phoenicians, who traded in the Mediterranean and with the Egyptions, it also talked about the Celtic, and Danish coming here for copper, i mentioned Phoenician coins being found on Isle Royal. a couple years ago i remember in W&E or Lost T they had a short article about an inscription found on a island i believe near NY that was written in Celtic that was translated to "cargo in way of Phoenicia". so who knows, it also said a Celtic Prayer Stone was found in the Ford River near Escanaba<sp
    i thought the book did alot of reaching, but much was intresting and possible. I have to get a hold of that book and check it out, thanks Chris
    where's the good stuff

seger98

Quote Originally Posted by Thompy
    haven't read the book Chris, one that i read talked about trade with the Phoenicians, who traded in the Mediterranean and with the Egyptions, it also talked about the Celtic, and Danish coming here for copper, i mentioned Phoenician coins being found on Isle Royal. a couple years ago i remember in W&E or Lost T they had a short article about an inscription found on a island i believe near NY that was written in Celtic that was translated to "cargo in way of Phoenicia". so who knows, it also said a Celtic Prayer Stone was found in the Ford River near Escanaba<sp
    i thought the book did alot of reaching, but much was intresting and possible. I have to get a hold of that book and check it out, thanks Chris

Yeah, there was a lot of reaching in the book I read as well, but he did do a good job of tying things together, I'll let ya read the book when I get back up there, it's in my storage unit & I'll just send it over to you. Chris

Sponsors