Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: dents run treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    Tesoro Vaquero
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfda View Post
    Perhaps the gold was stashed in the Lt's grave which is located not far from the ambush site. The grave is well hidden and I gave my word I would not disclose the location. The Lt can rest in piece
    After watching the HC2 show I now understand why so many empty holes are being found by a certain group. Flawed equipment. The look on their faces was priceless when the drill turned up nothing. This type show can set you up and not show you in the best light. My friend Freddie from Gold Show Alaska is a good example.
    Hmmmm I wonder if I pointed those coat hangers at the Superstitions I would find the LDM. See you later guys. I can see the mountain from my pool. I was thinking of making a big dowsing rod. I can get on my float in the pool holding the rod and see where it points on the mountain.
    Sorry I could not help myself. I have a lot of friends out here in Arizona digging empty holes too. Come to think of it I dug one at Ted G's buried painting site. Was fun.

Burying the gold in the Lt's grave is as good a guess as any. I've heard about that grave. Way I heard it, it was marked with a stone that looked like a headstone, and had the year 1863 scratched into it, which was rapidly weathering away. Our friend tried to dig it up, but hit a huge flat stone with tree roots growing over it. That's not ground you could dig down very far in. Don't know a body could be buried very deep, a large flat stone on top might be a good way to keep animals from digging it up.

I was recently looking at that area on some LIDAR maps. I think I know where the spring/springs were that the survey crew found the skeletons. My next trip up there will be to find the springs on the ground, and from there look for a mass grave. My guess would be the survey crew would have just dumped the skeletons all together and covered with a rock pile. That shouldn't be too hard to find. If someone could find that, and the bones of several people inside, and verify their age, that would be some pretty hard evidence for the story being true.

You find the LDM yet Frank?

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2827 times
    The spot is east of Bell Draft valley on the county border. A pipe line follows the border in that spot. Springs are in the valley. The spot I found the gun parts was about 20 ft south of the border. There are some dirt piles in that spot. Did I not send you my map. That's the area to look. I've been all over that valley. It's full of junk from the logging camp. I have our friends cords on the grave location and that's how I found it.
    The LDM was found and cleaned out couple years ago. Called the pit mine by those in the know. Lots of things to look for in those mountains. It's rough going back in there I live nearby and I attend the Dutch hunter gathering each fall at Dons camp and talk to the major players. I'm more into prospecting now though I'm onto a few treasure locations. You would be surprised what you pick up at the gathering.

us
    Apr 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    Tesoro Vaquero
    2 times
    Okay, so a friend of mine calls me today to tell me that a DCNR Forester found 9 bars of gold while marking trees between the Quehanna Boot Camp and Pottersdale. My friend is a Deputy WCO for the Game Commission, and he heard this from a friend in the DCNR. This is not in the Bell Draft or Dent's Run area, but about an hour south of there by car. As the crow flies, maybe 20 miles? Supposedly, the DCNR Forester turned the gold in, and after that the Feds came in and started doing a thorough search of the area, and found a wagon. It doesn't add up, since according to the accounts they were abandoning the wagons when Connors left, and when he returned with the rescue party, they found the wagons burned. Wagon artifacts were in fact found on the ridge above Dent's Run by someone several years ago. I guess it's possible that some of the culprits (whether men from the patrol, or outside attackers) split up the gold and some may have traveled south into the Quehanna area. I'm not putting much stock in this "news" though. The person who shared this with my WCO friend said it was all over the news up here. Really? I didn't see or hear anything about it. I've done some Google searches on keywords from the story and do not get ANYTHING like this story.

If anyone has contact with the DCNR, and could verify this news one way or the other, please check it out and post the results here.

Frank, yes– you did send me your map. I have been in the area where you found the gun parts. I don't remember seeing any dirt piles, but wasn't looking for mounds at that time. I gotta' get a GPS that works. Last time I was up there I was looking for some of the things on your map, and the GPS I was using was way off (or I was using it wrong).
    Last edited by schieftain; Jun 06, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    202 times
    I would think that would have been all over the news reports. Sounds unlikely.

us
    Owner

Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa. and Oak Ridge ,Nova Scotia
    GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar & a lot more
    638 times
    Hay Schieftain, My lawer in Harrisburg will be meeting with DCNR on Monday and will be at the Museum Commisoners Office this week. I sent him your post and he wants to check it out.
    Last edited by FinderKeeper; Jun 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

us
    Karl

Jun 2011
    Quakertown PA
    Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
    10 times
    Cache Hunting
    Great work and post Schieftain! There seems to be too many facts or details associated with this report by Schieftain's friend to discount it. Also, his friend probably called him because he knew that this story wasn't publicized--and this fits with the sparse details from both the Military and the Fed. Also, a second wagon may give credence to the rumor of not 26 but 50+ bars, which could not be handled with one wagon. If so, there's probably a lot of Gold still out there in that now bigger 'grid' area yet to be found?

us
    Owner

Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa. and Oak Ridge ,Nova Scotia
    GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar & a lot more
    638 times
    If gold bars were found I would think the Feds would keep this quiet until they search the area for more gold. The last thing they would want is Treasure Hunters in the area

us
    Karl

Jun 2011
    Quakertown PA
    Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
    10 times
    Cache Hunting
    According to Schieftain, here is the area in question halfway between Karthaus and Pottersdale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd_wagon_9bars.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	810274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfway_point.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	810275

us
    Apr 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    Tesoro Vaquero
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kudo623 View Post
    According to Schieftain, here is the area in question halfway between Karthaus and Pottersdale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd_wagon_9bars.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	810274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfway_point.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	810275

Yep. Somewhere in there. Still a big area. IF it's true. And that's a big IF...

Questions I would like to see answered:
    Were the bars covered with "picth"? Like in the accounts? Supposedly they were covered to look like lead.
    Also, what do they weigh exactly? In the accounts, the bars were 600 troy ounces, (around 46 lbs.) My friend told me he heard the found bars weigh 60 lbs.

us
    Apr 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    Tesoro Vaquero
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FinderKeeper View Post
    Hay Schieftain, My lawer in Harrisburg will be meeting with DCNR on Monday and will be at the Museum Commisoners Office this week. I sent him your post and he wants to check it out. Can you email me more info to send him and we will track it down.
    Only other details I heard were that the bars found weigh 60 lbs.
    And that this happened about a month ago. Forester found nine bars of gold while marking trees.

us
    Karl

Jun 2011
    Quakertown PA
    Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
    10 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by schieftain View Post
    Only other details I heard were that the bars found weigh 60 lbs.
    And that this happened about a month ago. Forester found nine bars of gold while marking trees.
    Researched all the on line papers up that way--Karthaus, Lockhaven and Clearfield but found nothing. If Henson's account is true then you have the party leaving the wagons and heading South on horseback with the gold bars in their packsaddles-probably two each per packsaddle/horse? They probably came to this spot where for some reason they all made a decision to unload the gold? Don't forget, this time period is late June possibly early July with the Battle of Gettysburg commencing with the cannon being heard all the way in Pittsburg. If this detail 'caught wind' of this then they may have left the gold for the war? Its just one scenario anyway?

us
    Apr 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    Tesoro Vaquero
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kudo623 View Post
    Researched all the on line papers up that way--Karthaus, Lockhaven and Clearfield but found nothing. If Henson's account is true then you have the party leaving the wagons and heading South on horseback with the gold bars in their packsaddles-probably two each per packsaddle/horse? They probably came to this spot where for some reason they all made a decision to unload the gold? Don't forget, this time period is late June possibly early July with the Battle of Gettysburg commencing with the cannon being heard all the way in Pittsburg. If this detail 'caught wind' of this then they may have left the gold for the war? Its just one scenario anyway?
    3 Hard dates, according to Castleton's journal and testimony of Connors:
    June 9 – Party leaves sawmill/village (possibly present Truman, PA) begins to travel across mountains
    June 17 – Castleton gives Connors his journal and official order to go for help
    June 29 - Rescue party returns to Lock Haven with Connors

If the party made saddle bags, they could probably haul more than two per horse, the bars weighed around 37 lbs. each. A man could walk the horse/mule, and the animal carry 4 bars easy. (2 bars per bag, 2 bags per animal). They could carry all 52 bars (if it was 52) on 13 animals. According to the story, there were 2 heavy wagons (each pulled by 4 mules), an ambulance wagon (2 mules), 8 enlisted men (8 horses), 2 officers and guide (3 more horses). Connors, and the 2 teamsters left for help on foot, leaving 10 mules and 11 horses with the patrol.

Would they pack the gold out? According to the journal, Castleton's orders were to bury the gold and stand guard if they ran into trouble. But if Castleton died...? maybe.

Some gold was found by Pinkertons cut in half, which could indicate the gold was split up.

Original intention of Castleton was to make it across the mountains to the Sinnemahoning Creek, follow that down to Driftwood, PA, and then build a raft and float the gold to Harrisburg. If the group made it out, would they stick with that plan?

If the patrol made it out, I don't see them heading across unfamiliar mountains again, which is what they would have had to do for this alleged discovery to be gold from the lost patrol. If they made it out of the mountains, heading southwest, they would have eventually come to the Sinnemahoning Valley. At which point there was a road that ran to Driftwood. Why would forgo the road, cross the creek (which is pretty wide), and head into more terrain that was just as unknown, steep and formidable as what they got lost in before? And this time without a guide or map?

My theory– I think the patrol was ambushed. The bodies found by the survey crew seem to indicate this. Maybe it was a mutiny, or maybe it was outsiders. That area is known to have been home to many deserters and draft-dodgers. Read about a skirmish called Bloody Knox, and an interesting book is Deserter Country, by Robert Sandow. They had already been attacked at Ridgway. Maybe some from Ridgway found out what they were carrying and followed, waiting for the right opportunity? If ambushed by locals, the perps probably knew those mountains well and may have taken the gold into the Quehanna area to hide it. One group traveled south and this is their stash

Honestly though, I think this latest discovery is fictitious.

The Sinnemahoning Valley...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33600600.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	812487  
    Last edited by schieftain; Jun 12, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    202 times
    If I were a forester who found 9 gold bars, I would take them home and keep my mouth shut.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21830 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by doverturtle View Post
    If I were a forester who found 9 gold bars, I would take them home and keep my mouth shut.
    & of course, look for more

us
    Karl

Jun 2011
    Quakertown PA
    Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
    10 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by schieftain View Post
    3 Hard dates, according to Castleton's journal and testimony of Connors:
    June 9 – Party leaves sawmill/village (possibly present Truman, PA) begins to travel across mountains
    June 17 – Castleton gives Connors his journal and official order to go for help
    June 29 - Rescue party returns to Lock Haven with Connors

If the party made saddle bags, they could probably haul more than two per horse, the bars weighed around 37 lbs. each. A man could walk the horse/mule, and the animal carry 4 bars easy. (2 bars per bag, 2 bags per animal). They could carry all 52 bars (if it was 52) on 13 animals. According to the story, there were 2 heavy wagons (each pulled by 4 mules), an ambulance wagon (2 mules), 8 enlisted men (8 horses), 2 officers and guide (3 more horses). Connors, and the 2 teamsters left for help on foot, leaving 10 mules and 11 horses with the patrol.

Would they pack the gold out? According to the journal, Castleton's orders were to bury the gold and stand guard if they ran into trouble. But if Castleton died...? maybe.

Some gold was found by Pinkertons cut in half, which could indicate the gold was split up.

Original intention of Castleton was to make it across the mountains to the Sinnemahoning Creek, follow that down to Driftwood, PA, and then build a raft and float the gold to Harrisburg. If the group made it out, would they stick with that plan?

If the patrol made it out, I don't see them heading across unfamiliar mountains again, which is what they would have had to do for this alleged discovery to be gold from the lost patrol. If they made it out of the mountains, heading southwest, they would have eventually come to the Sinnemahoning Valley. At which point there was a road that ran to Driftwood. Why would forgo the road, cross the creek (which is pretty wide), and head into more terrain that was just as unknown, steep and formidable as what they got lost in before? And this time without a guide or map?

My theory– I think the patrol was ambushed. The bodies found by the survey crew seem to indicate this. Maybe it was a mutiny, or maybe it was outsiders. That area is known to have been home to many deserters and draft-dodgers. Read about a skirmish called Bloody Knox, and an interesting book is Deserter Country, by Robert Sandow. They had already been attacked at Ridgway. Maybe some from Ridgway found out what they were carrying and followed, waiting for the right opportunity? If ambushed by locals, the perps probably knew those mountains well and may have taken the gold into the Quehanna area to hide it. One group traveled south and this is their stash

Honestly though, I think this latest discovery is fictitious.

The Sinnemahoning Valley...

Exactly right Schieftain, those skeletons found up there is proof as to their demise. Good deductions made on possible suspects at Ridgeway, etc, and the cut bar of gold 'split'. Yeah that valley/river looks a little bit formidable to cross. Thanks for the detailed info on your post!
    Last edited by kudo623; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links