The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part VI: The Lost Breyfoggle.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
THE LOST BREYFOGGLE.

from The Miner’s Guide; A Ready Handbook for the Prospector and Miner, by Horace J. West (Los Angeles: Second Edition – 1925)

Ash-Meadow Charley, bad man of the Piute Indian tribe, is probably more to blame than any other living agency for the loss of a quartz mine that, from specimens assayed, showed value of one hundred thousand dollars a ton, for it was he who with an ax hit James Breyfoggle in the head and mentally deranged him for the remainder of his life, in periods of a few days and, as he grew older, almost continually.

Breyfoggle in 1863 had found his way into Austin, Nevada, and from there had proceeded in a leisurely manner southward into the Funeral Range of mountains, which border upon that desolate and unalterable waste of heat and mystery, Death Valley. In his wanderings he remained well within the boundaries of Nye County, so far as research has been able to ascertain.

One evening, while making ready for his camp, a terrific storm, the kind that comes but once or twice a year in that section of the world, broke in all its windy fury, and Breyfoggle camped on the side of an abrupt peak and beneath a hanging ledge which afforded protection from the storm. He hobbled his horse (some men claim it was a burro, but from more reliable sources it is generally conceded a horse) and turned him loose to browse on the spare vegetation to be found there.

The storm had little effect in keeping him awake, and with the rise of the sun he was ready to go on. Lo and behold! his horse had disappeared. For an hour or more he trailed it up and down, finding its broken hobble, and returning eventually to his camp. After a bite of food, he climbed to the opposite side of the peak beneath which he had rested and, gaining an eminence of considerable extent, he pulled out his field glasses for a survey of the general profile of the country.

Tired from his arduous exertions, he leaned against a ledge and quietly gazed upon the surrounding country, locating on his right a heavily timbered mountain and on his left a broad valley which showed considerable vegetation, very unusual for that part of the mountains.

His horse failed to come with his range of vision, and in half despair he turned and started to obtain a position a trifle higher up on the ledge. His hand struck a loose rock that, turning, glinted brightly in the sun which was just edging its way from among the dark gray clouds. He caught his breath. He looked a second time. Sure enough, it was gold, real gold, and not the metal that is its counterpart and has oft been designated “fools’ gold.”

The dull sheen came not alone from the single rock that he held in his hand. It cropped out from the surrounding rock as far as he could reach to brush away the particles of crumbling quartz. It was everywhere, and he broke off large pieces of the ore in his delirium of discovery. While it lasted he reveled in his new found riches, sat among the hard rock pillows that spelled millions and continued his examination of the ground.

After hours he came to his senses and also to a realization that his horse was still straying. With a start he collected all of the ore he could carry and continued to trail through a few available mountain washes, passing sun-blackened, weather-beaten cliffs, into dust-gray sage and the debris of countless ages until he located a lone willow.

His horse had been forgotten in the increasing thirst which had made itself a factor by gnawing at his stomach, demanding relief. The willow stood for water, and hastily he stumbled over the corroding, gold-filled ledges to find himself finally before a spring that bubbled out of this forsaken ravine. Then, spurred again by the thoughts of his animal, the good that he had left behind and the desire to get out and announce his discovery to the world, he wandered off into the twilight and, soon, the night, which comes suddenly in that portion of the world.

For days – how many Breyfoggle was never able to compute – he wandered about almost aimlessly, stumbling at last, more dead than alive, into Stump Springs, which are located twenty-two miles from Sandy and nine miles from Manse, all situated in Nye County. It was there that he encountered the band of wandering Piute Indians. Their love for the white invader was small, and although not of the same fighting blood as the Apache or the Sioux, they fell upon the half-crazed miner, who in all probability stirred their animosity by some untoward act, and Ash-Meadow Charley, so named for the fact that the had resided for a time in after years at Ash Meadows in Nevada, struck with an ax.

The blow was a glancing one, inflicting a severe wound, and it would have been followed to its termination by others had not one of the other Indians interceded. They packed Breyfoggle on one of their horses, and when near Las Vegas started him for that place, where he landed in a half-dead condition, but nevertheless clinging closely to his ore. In several weeks he was physically able to be sent to Austin, Nevada, where his family resided.

After more months of rest he at intervals had periods that were lucid, and in these he told of all his hardships and sufferings. His discovery was sent to an assayer’s office and the production, according to the samples, would have run over one hundred thousand dollars to the ton, so rich was it in gold. [At this time ore that assayed five hundred dollars to the ton would be reckoned a bonanza.] Had it not been for the ore, little credence would have been given his tale because of the deranged condition of his brain at most times.

Nor did he stop with telling of the discovery. Time and again he set out with his horse and pack-saddles into the territory which he thought held the riches that would put him beyond the haziest dreams of Midas. He enlisted his friends and even went so far as to locate Ash-Meadow Charley, who lived in after years in the Pahrump Valley, to assist him in the search, but all in vain.

About twelve miles south of Daylight Springs, where the eastern edge of the Funeral Range approaches Death Valley, there is a place called “Breyfoggle’s Despair,” for the reason that here, in the middle of the sun-parched desert, are five of his trails, meeting in a star-like center and leading off into the solitudes of the surrounding country without reaching the ultimate goal. On his deathbed he declared that whoever would locate his discovery would have sufficient to enrich all of this friends and pay off the national debt.

Whether or not the Breyfoggle discovery continues among the great lost mines of the country is [not?] a doubtful question with many mining men who are thoroughly familiar with all its details and who have been among the many to try to rediscover the wealthy ledges. Breyfoggle’s continued endeavor to rediscover his property, and his story of the wonderful find, provide the incendiary torch to the imaginations of many prospectors who were fired with the desire to locate the hidden wealth.

Forty years of search has not dimmed the tale in its telling. It is recounted over and over, and continues to draw the daring prospector into that region of little water and hard struggles. Nor have these other prospectors always looked in vain, for other valuable ore bodies have been located by the search.

One of these, the “Johnnie Mine,” is frequently pointed out as the property which Breyfoggle found because of its general topographical outlook. Located in the southwestern portion of Nye County, it stands on a high ledge which has shown wonderful specimens of gold from the surface croppings. On the west of the mine is located the valley of much vegetation, Ash Meadows, where grow the scrub oak, the mesquite and many smaller plants of their own accord. One the other side stands Charleston Mountain, the only timbered peak in all the range, which probably is the timbered mountain of Breyfoggle’s description.

Lenses of very high grade ore, running more than a third pure gold, have been found on the surface, and it is possible that the prospector, in his haste to find his horse, locate his water and return to a place of plentiful food, made only a superficial examination of the property, striking several of the rich lenses and proceeding no farther in his haste to get back to civilization and outfit properly for the real work of obtaining his princely wealth.

to be continued…Next – “The Goler Placer Diggings.”

--- o0o ---​

lens: A pocket of ore shaped like a magnifying lens – thick in the middle and tapering on its sides. – Prospecting, Locating and Valuing Mines, by R.H. Stretch, E.M. (New York: 1899; Second Edition 1900). Mr. West’s use of the term here suggests an opinion that Breyfogle’s fabulous gold find might have been a “glory hole” – rich ore, indeed, but only a small batch of it. Herman Albert wrote about the “pocket-hunter” who “…digs and pans around the grassroots…looking for those deposits of jewelry rock close to the surface. It’s a game of skill, perseverance, dreams, and optimism which has rewarded many of its practitioners with sudden, often fabulous, wealth.”

Further Reading

Death Valley is somewhat removed from Mr. West’s area of personal experience and expertise, and it shows in this account – starting with his spelling of the protagonist’s name.

There is no shortage of Breyfogle literature, however. The field is vast – and, in some cases, half-vast. One could spend many pleasant days studying Death Valley lore. Fortunate students have not only done that but they’ve written it up, as well. Death Valley is my favorite place in California. There isn’t a more beautiful, interesting, and historic location within the Golden State. When I can’t visit, I do love to read about it.

The Breyfogle hunter should start with J. Frank Dobie’s Coronado’s Children; Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest (1930). His account of the yard – found in Chapter XI. “The Challenge of the Desert” – is deservedly famous. Prof. Dobie doesn’t deserve to have his work “borrowed” by numerous subsequent authors, of course, but many have been quite generous high-grading his claim. It is based on what he was told by Donald F. MacCarthy. The known facts – and they are there, albeit quite tangled and difficult to discern – vary considerably from parts of Prof. Dobie’s version.

It is no surprise that Harry Sinclair Drago’s Lost Bonanzas; Tales of the Legendary Lost Mines of the American West (New York: 1966) has a very reliable recounting of the tale.

He terms Harold O. Weight “the best of all Death Valley chroniclers.” This is quite true. Lost Mines of Death Valley (Twentynine Palms, California: 1953, 1961 & 1970) is the single best work ever published on Death Valley’s lost mines and hidden treasures. The third, revised edition (1970) is the best and most complete. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. And Mr. Weight points out that some of Mr. West’s description doesn’t fit the ground.

John M. Townley used a number of contemporary newspaper accounts for his little Breyfogle’s Lost Gold Guidebook; Desert Rat Guidebook Series No. 5 (Reno, Nevada: 1985). He packs an amazing amount of accurate information into just 16 pages. And Douglas McDonald’s Nevada Lost Mines & Buried Treasures (Las Vegas, Nevada: 1981) begins with a solid Breyfolge chapter. This, by the way, is a very good book.

That Breyfogle sought Death Valley’s famous “Lost Ledge” is a theory that has generally fallen out of favor. Personally, I think it makes a good deal of sense. Its genesis is J. Ross Browne’s highly entertaining Adventures in the Apace Country; A Tour Through Arizona and Sonora (New York: 1869); you’ll want to find the edition “with Notes on the Silver Regions of Nevada.”

I highly recommend William Caruthers’ Loafing Along Death Valley Trails; A Personal Narrative of People and Places (Shoshone, California: 1951). It includes a Lost Mines chapter – however, the whole book is a treasure. In no particular order are other excellent Death Valley books: Bourke Lee’s Death Valley (1930) and Death Valley Men (1932), and Dane Coolidge’s Death Valley Prospectors (1937). Two more personal favorites are C.B. Glasscock’s Gold in Them Hills (1932) – although I don’t think John Breyfogle was a blacksmith - and Here’s Death Valley (1940).

The Death Book is Death Valley in ’49 by William Lewis Manly (1894). It is readily available in any number of editions – and it is the foundation for any library on the subject. It is one of the great books about the America West. The book on single-blanket, jackass prospectors is Herman W. Albert’s Odyssey of a Desert Prospector (Norman, Oklahoma: 1967). If there is another early Twentieth Century prospector’s autobiography out there I am not aware of it – and it wouldn’t make much difference, because I cannot imagine it would be any better than this outstanding little book.

--- o0o ---​

This is Part VI of the Lost Mines of the Desert series. Part I was posted December 26, 2008. Part II – “The Lost Arch” Diggings went up January 3, 2009. Part III – The Peg-Leg Mine; Or, the God of Fury’s Black Gold Nuggets, on January 11, 2009, and may be found under the Lost Peg Leg Mine topic. Part IV – The Lost Papuan Diggings – January 19, 2009. Part V – The Lost Dutch-Oven Mine – was posted January 27, 2009.

Once this series has been completed, I am considering collecting all these stories, along with The Lost Tub Placer yarn that will not be reprinted on the Treasure Net Forum, into a booklet for ready reference and convenient reading. If you would like to be notified when that is done, please send me a PM.

= 30 =​

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Har-rumph! Well then you two, lets hear your views and/or spin on this infamous lost mine, the Breyfogle? I politely thank you in advance, ;D
Oroblanco

PS maybe we ought to ask the moderators for a new sub-board for Breyfogle? There are at least several threads on it now, might be nice to have them all in one place. After all, before the Lost Dutchman became famous, this was considered by many to be "the" most famous lost mine in the USA. Just a thought.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Oy! What have we gotten ourselves into now? rofl The temptation to believe that the Johnnie mine is the one Breyfogle spoke of is definitely there and yet the dreamer in me would still want to investigate to see if there was an even richer vein that they had not found yet. I am really looking forward to the next installment in this series and do hope that Old Bookaroo compiles all the stories together because I sure would want a copy!

What is your view/spin mi amigo Oro?? btw I have missed you two!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigo Cynangel! Thank you for your views. I would like to wait until our mutual amigo Real de Tayopa weighs in on this before adding my two shekels. I have posted my own opinion a couple of years ago, and have looked for this lost ledge too. (Never looked in Death Valley however) There is a very rich placer gold deposit associated with Breyfogle's story that has not been found too - can't recall the details but it was a feeder canyon on the NV side of the Colorado, found by folks who were hunting Breyfogle's ledge but lost again.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am looking forward to reading what both of you have to say as you know I have a great deal of respect for your opinions and you having actually gone and searched, I am sure you will have a great deal to enlighten us with. ;D

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cynangel wrote
you having actually gone and searched, I am sure you will have a great deal to enlighten us with

Hoo boy I can even hear your laughing over the internet! ;D :D I can sure tell you two things about it, one, I sure didn't find it, and two southern Nevada is some mighty pretty country! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
well I sure have not found it from here either! :tongue3: I am sure the country is gorgeous...did ya take any pics to share? ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Oroblanco said:
I do think Mrs O has some good photos, I will ask!
Oroblanco

That would be awesome! Would love to see the scenery in that area just in case I don't get down there searching about! ;D

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well I looked in the box where Mrs O said the Nevada pix are and can't find them, so my apologies. If I can find them I will be posting them though. Between a fire and moving more than a tumbleweed over the years there are many things I cannot find any longer, like my mind, peace, sanity, quiet, etc.

I do want to say that having hunted for Breyfogle's ledge doesn't make me an expert on it by any means. There is a great deal of info on this one available on the internet, and like the Lost Dutchman there are many different and often conflicting versions:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag02/sep/lostm.html

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/treasurestories/LostBreyfogle.html

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NV-Treasures6.html

just a few of many, and there are dozens if not hundreds of articles in the old newspapers. This one posted by Bookaroo is the first I have seen that names the Paiute who hit Breyfogle though.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I would suspect the only expert would be Breyfogle himself, unless, of course someone else proves us wrong but there is a lot to be said for someone who has been there and can at the very least tell us what is not correct. :wink: Therefore you are more an expert than a lot of us. :tongue3: Thanks for the links....I will enjoy reading more info on this. Sweet dreams mi amigo!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cynangel wrote
I will enjoy reading more info on this. Sweet dreams mi amigo!
:-[ <blush> - dreams of gold and silver are the sweetest kind aren't they! :thumbsup: I see that our mutual amigo Don Jose' has not yet said a word as to his views of the lost Breyfogle, but won't make you wait any longer. I am 99.99% convinced this Breyfogle mine was FOUND and is known today by a different name, the Amargosa/Salt Springs. Let me explain. EDIT<This ended up getting to be a very long reply, so I must beg your indulgence>

While we went tramping about in several directions from Searchlight, that was based on Mitchell's description that said Breyfogle was "three days" hike from Las Vegas, somewhere to the SOUTH of what at the time was a rather tiny settlement. He had Breyfogle partnered up with two fellows named O'Bannion and Macleod, and they made camp at a spring high up on the side of a mountain range at the end of a narrow box canyon. So says John Mitchell, one of my personal favorite treasure authors. Well the terrain near Searchlight just doesn't quite fit that kind of description, but off to the west and straddling the California border we found country that would fit it, has plenty of narrow canyons and is fairly mineralized to boot. However we found no rose quartz ledge shot through with gold, which is what the ore brought out by Breyfogle looks like. There are a few people who still have samples of it, or what is claimed to be Breyfogle's gold - who can tell at this point - but what seals the deal in my view about the mine really being the Amargosa/Salt Spring is that the ore matches.

George Rose, superintendant of the Amargosa mine in the middle 1860s stated that the gold specimens Breyfogle was showing people was in fact high grade ore from the Amargosa. That alone would not close the question for me, for it is not that unusual for mine owners and operators to make claims about their own mine being some long-lost rich bonanza (look at what Flipper claimed about Guaynopa for example, that he had found it and now we know he had found a quite different mine known as the Santa Fe de Rodriquez) but when an un-biased expert says so.....anyway mining expert Frank Denning examined Breyfogle's ore and declared it to have come from the Amargosa. You know that all gold ore is like a "fingerprint" in that each deposit has unique characteristics, so that ore can be positively identified by an expert.

Even more "damming" (sorry for the censor-dodge-spelling amigo) is that Breyfogle himself once visited the Amargosa mine, took a look around and promptly QUIT searching for his lost bonanza. Now perhaps he was just getting too old or too poor health, or perhaps he recognized his lost bonanza was now under claim by someone else, and they were mining it.

Here is a photo of the Amargosa/Salt Spring mine, which I am convinced is the lost Breyfogle
15640866.jpg

Not my own personal photo, this was on Google, you can see the thin light colored trail running up the side of the mountain from the left upwards to the mine which is not quite in the center of the photo.

here is a link to a topo map (hopefully this will work for you)

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepag....mytopo.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS

On the topo you can see two mining shafts shown as small boxes half-black-filled diagonally, which are the Amargosa/Salt Springs mine.

I don't know about the current claim status of this mine, I believe it was a patented mine and as of 1950 a fellow was trying to squeeze a little more gold out of it - my hunch would be this is fairly played out by this point. It might be possible to buy the mine from the current owners, who knows perhaps a few veins of that spectacularly rich ore remains un-discovered?

So in fact I actually wasted time, effort and money looking in the wrong area for a lost mine that was not even lost, but sure had a great time doing it and do believe that undiscovered gold and silver veins still exist in that area, especially right on the NV/CA border region west of Searchlight. I hate to be a "wet blanket" for anyone who wants to hunt the lost Breyfogle, and I know there are plenty of supporters for the Johnnie mine (in Nevada) as it did have quite similar ore but when an expert says the ore came from the Amargosa/Salt Springs mine, and it is about the right distance (if a totally wrong direction according to John Mitchell, note below**) I think we can class this one as "found" safely. Not necessarily BAD news however, I wil explain...

There are other lost mines in this area that a lucky/determined person might yet find, like the famous Lost Gunsight silver mine or the Golden Eagle (in Death Valley) which was actually well marked and legally filed on so SHOULD be easy to find but as yet, no one has ever found it again. The region is well mineralized so a person who does some plain-vanilla prospecting while treasure hunting might find a rich deposit and end up wealthy anyway without ever finding a famous lost mine.

**Mitchell having got the DIRECTION wrong is a very common fault among treasure/lost mine stories, and helps to explain just why so many mines and treasures remain lost. Was Mitchell deliberately LYING, or was he simply repeating the information he had gathered? I know we have plenty of folks who think John Mitchell a dammed liar but I know for a fact that he gave correct directions to at least one lost mine (the San Pedro silver mine in AZ) as we followed his directions and found the mine exactly where he said he had found it, unfortunately just as collapsed as he had said, but we got some nice silver ore specimens from the huge tailings piles for our efforts. Others have pointed out that his directions to the Lost Adams seem to be also correct in every detail, except that it seems Mitchell already removed the gold-filled coffee pot. (Which explains how a man who only worked for a railroad ended up being described as a "wealthy mining man" by old age) So I don't believe that Mitchell gave the wrong compass direction deliberately, in fact as confused as Breyfogle was on reaching "civilization" it is quite believable that he himself had the direction wrong. As for the rest of it, the spring, a narrow box canyon (where their camp was located) etc all this fits quite well. I have my doubts that Breyfogle made it on foot from the Salt Springs mountains all the way to Las Vegas in three days time, but the time could be wrong as we know Breyfogle was quite confused.**

So there is my "two shekels" - I hope I have not dashed anyone's hopes or dreams, and heck I could be completely wrong on this, perhaps the men who compared the ores were wrong, or were trying to identify the Amargosa with Breyfogle in order to get more investors, who knows? Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

PS (as if I had not already said too much) to anyone who decides to go to the Searchlight area to prospect for gold, silver etc that area is a fairly good area and the "old timers" certainly did not get it all, we were able to pan out fine colors in many of the dry washes to the west, SW and S - not enough to get excited about but certainly indications enough to warrant further prospecting. I know that we plan to spend a little more time in a particular dry wash that was showing three or four colors to a rounded shovel-ful, next time we travel through that area. The climate is fairly nice but can get cold in winter (best time IMHO) so bring warm clothes and a good sleeping bag.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
dreams of gold and silver are indeed one of the best kinds! ;D Yes, I did notice our amigo Don Jose is mysteriously absent from this conversation but perhaps he will chime in later. You obviously have far more expertise in this subject than you let on. The topo map came up fine, thank you and I have learned a great deal as usual. I was unaware of the ore samples that had been examined and I can definitely see why you have come to the conclusion that you have. Although I expect the likliehood of me finding this lost mine or any other in the area is very slim I would still very much like to explore there someday. I appreciate you taking the time to share your conclusions and the reasoning behind them. Thanks!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
smiley-ashamed002.gif
<BLUSH> :-[ Cynangel thank you for the kind words, sheesh now my danged hat won't fit again! I have a strong suspicion that you have much more knowledge & expertise on this than you are admitting to. I won't hold it against you for keeping at least some info private though.

I do wonder if Breyfogle's ore vein might not crop out elsewhere too - you know that country was very geologically active, there could be off-shoots located miles (or more) away that are the same vein just disconnected. Perhaps a blind lead, a vein that does not quite crop out to the surface but is directly connected to the main ore shoot deep underground? What do you think? Unlikely?

smiley-signs026.gif

Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread