Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mikemonster said:
Dang, these waterworld charts are nice. I think they have given me the info I needed. ;) ;D ::)
Gomez Point?

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Found this-quote
Graveyard Creek is located on the northern shoreline of Ponce De Leon Bay at the entrance of the creek that gives the site it's name. The campsite is situated on a high sandy ridge that parallels Graveyard Creek on the east, and despite it's "beachy" ambience and location on the Gulf, the Park service still considers it a ground site, and no campfires are permitted. I'm not sure where the name came from, but the piles of storm-wrecked mangroves that cover the western shoreline is certainly suggestive of a graveyard, and endows the site with a kind of weird beauty, especially at sunset. The hurricanes of 2004 and 2005 have taken their toll on the site, and nearly all of the sandy beach along the Gulf side has been washed away, leaving just a narrow shelf along the creek. Shallow flats extend for a great distance west and south of the mouth of Graveyard Creek and portaging is a real possibility on a low tide when approaching from the Gulf. If you're coming in from the Shark River or Oyster Bay, you can approach the site via Graveyard Creek, which is navigable on all tides. Just be careful of the oyster bars at the mouth of the creek. unquote.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ToyMan said:
TTT

Anybody have any updates to add?
I sort of lost interest in this pursuit. I believe the $200,000 lost Confederate payroll/gold and Capt. Riley's lost $500,000 gold shipment are one and the same legend with a different twist. I remember discovering the name of a Game Warden that claims to have discovered the last campsite of the Confederates back in the 1940's, but not the gold. Someone I met, who's father was a Game officer in those years, claims that his father knew the man and the overgrown Confederate campsite discovery story is true. He didnt know if he was still alive or how to contact him. I will be hunting in the vast Big Cypress Swamp next week and maybe I should talk to this man again. He lives in the swamp and is always willing to talk or help. Even if this Game Warden has died, a decsendant or relative may have a clue to the location. I would love to search this campsite for clues. Thanks for the interest and you may have sparked an interest again in myself. ;D

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im posting the 2 original swamp gold legends, (which I believe are one and the same) from page one if anyone has anything to add.
bigcypress elf said:
Anyone know anything about the supposedly "well documented" lost payroll in the Florida Everglades? ? 1- Near the end of the Civil War, a Confederate paymaster being pursued by Union troops buried a million-dollar payroll in gold and paper currency. Records reveal he wrote: "Chased by the enemy, we buried our payroll at a point in the Everglades at a junction of two creeks, where the land rises like a camel's back. The money is buried in the west hump of the rise." He was captured, but never found the $200,000 in gold or the paper money.
2- Capt. John Riley, trying to ship Confederate gold to Havana in the spring of 1865, was chased into the Everglades by Federal troops, where he buried $ 500,000 in gold bullion...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey bigcypresshunter I finally figured out what and where cptbil's really huge treasure is. IT IS PHOSPHATES! Yes, fertilizer! There are really huge deposits of phosphates throughout central FL and it is worth billions. Just look at all the phosphate mines around Orlando. Of course the government will not let you, as an individual, just go out there and start digging for phosphates (another of cptbil's clues). Its all a huge, really big pile of bull$hit!

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
Salvor 6

I dont think you have a clue as to what cptbil is looking for.....so commenting on something you have no knowlege of really makes you look foolish!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is a well known fact that many british and french and spanish (esp the spanish as they were into slave trading) were "backers" of the revolt & sent both supplies & even silver and gold to the confederate govt via blockade runners that docked in here in florida -- its worth noting that senator david yulee** ( there is a town named after him in my county by the way ) was the treasuer of the confederate states ***at the time --- some of the gold was used to buy florida beef for the confederate army -- this "smuggled" backer gold and silver was paid in hopes that the south would break free and if it had the "foreign backers" would have be rich beyond their wildest dreams -- this was the source of the often talked about "payroll" gold story's -- rich and powerful men were "pulling strings" behind the scenes as the war fell to a close and when the leaders of the south saw that the end was near then these monies were hidden to prevent the federal govt from "taking" it --the men that were given the money by the foreign backers were "honor" bound to attempt to try to return it -- stiffing these backers or losing the money meant total ruin for them by returning the money they hoped to gain favor with the backers and thus be able to restart their bussiness with their aid after the war was over -- if they just kept the money and attempted to stiff the "backers" -- the federal govt would say your in the south and rich so you had to to be a big shot confederate and grab their stuff saying you were part of the rebellon so your stuffs seized -- by moving the gold out then letting it come back legally they could legally use the money to rebuild with--- thus they hid it trying to do just that --in some cases it worked in others it did not --- some funds were lost because the union army had "special" money grabbing units -- they were set up to track down and "recover" these funds -- they often found out via spies about these money drop / hides and came after the shipments esp in the closing days of the war -- when the union troops closed in on a shipment --the rebels hid the money as best they could and attempted to flee - these men knew to be captured meant that they would be tortured till they told where the money was - so capture was not an option --- plus only die hard rebel types were use for these details - since they were to fight to the death and shoot themselves rather than be captured, the fought like demons and since they gave no quarter (kill all yankees was their motto) they got no mercy from the union troops that were after them (who were often just as die hard as the rebels were) --- often the union troops shot them to pieces with no survivors taken alive-- this is the real "factual" basis for these often "wild" payroll stories that you hear here in florida -- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
SWR please read about david yulee ** and who he was --- and then you can say your sorry , you can not help the fact that you do not know about this part of florida 's history during the civil war , because it not in most common history books and information about it is hard to come by today .--- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
senator david levy yulee -- florida's first ever senator -- the first jewish person elected to congress -- a major rail baron in florida --- the "money man" of the south --- he was jailed after the war for his support of the rebellon but freed by gen grant -- oh THAT david yulee thats who I'm talking about the kind of man that brokered deals on behalf of the confederate govt -- both raising and spend its cash -- Oh THAT david yulee. -- please look him up -- and learn a bit.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
what do you think I meant by the "money man" --- he raised and spent funds on behalf of the confederate cause his "offical" title may not have been "treasuer" but he raised money aboard and funneled it into the states he also help arrange "payments" to those overseas --geez SWR please learn about david yulee's role in the confederate govt -- since that was his "role" why would he not have gold and silver and money around? he was the wheeler dealer of the south -- a very important man indeed-- (most likely thasts why grant had him freed after he was arrested after the war -- his very rich and powerful freinds from the states and overseas applied pressure )

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well I goofed yulees "offical" title was not the treasurer ( hey never said I was perfect) -- he was just the "money man" hustler type that help raise funds and spend funds for the south -- as such he handled vast sums of money shipped in from "backers" in europe who were promised alot in exchange for their aid -- it was this that lead to many of the wagon load of confederate gold storys-- some of which are most likely true. -- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
that was not an apology --it was however a statement of fact -- I goofed (see I can say it , I made a error)-- he did not carry the title of "treasurer " offically --so what if he was only he the "deal maker"* or "money raiser"* for the south-- the bottom line is he was still handling large sums of money and gold and silver -- last time I looked there was no offical listing for those titles* in the "offical" jobs listing in the confederate govt but someone had to be doing the job of raising funds and getting supplies -- now didn't they? -- david levy yulee was a powerful and high placed man in the money world . for yulee's ties to the confederate govts fiscal world see --- volume xxx oct of 1951 number 2 of the the florida historical quarterly -- hope it might help you to understand that yulee was indeed a "big time player" in the souths fiscal plans --- Ivan

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Sorry,
BUT! Just about, Everyone has gotten off on the WRONG FOOT! :-\
The above comments just go to show what happens to a treasure story..
I said NOTHING about "it" being
OR!
Having ANYTHING to do with the Civil War! ::)
Yet,
That is about all that the questions and comments have been about! :D
I will STATE
This Treasure Has NOTHING to do, with anything, about or connected, to The Civil War!
This treasure would be valued in the Hundreds of Millions at today Prices/value! ;)
Darn!
That's another "HINT"! ::) !

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cptbil said:
Sorry,
BUT! Just about, Everyone has gotten off on the WRONG FOOT! :-\
The above comments just go to show what happens to a treasure story..
I said NOTHING about "it" being
OR!
Having ANYTHING to do with the Civil War! ::)
Yet,
That is about all that the questions and comments have been about! :D
I will STATE
This Treasure Has NOTHING to do, with anything, about or connected, to The Civil War!
This treasure would be valued in the Hundreds of Millions at today Prices/value! ;)
Darn!
That's another "HINT"! ::) !
Yes we know...the phosphates. ::)

Hello Cptbil. This is my post and it is about Swamp Gold, the lost Confederate payroll. Legend has it that the gold/moneywas buried in the swamp near the close of the CIVIL WAR. You joined the discussion telling me that I am looking for the wrong treasure but gave nothing else of any substance.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
big cypresshunter --sorry if I side tracked anything -- I was just trying to show that the confederate payroll stories ( like your swamp money tale) do have a valid basis for existing -- david levy yulee was a major player in the civil war -- he was a major "money man" for the south-- both raising and spending funds for the south abroad and here in florida -- as the war drew to a close the funds he raised went somewhere -- there are many tales of late in the war money transporting details some are very are well known to folks here in florida and may very well may be true -- florida was one of the few strong hold places of the south and held out till the end -- these funds would not have been entrusted to just plain old troops who knowing the war was lost might be tempted to just "slip off with them"-- the men who this money was entrusted to had to be "hard core trust worthy types" --who would you pick if you were david yulee and needed these funds "safely" moved for shipment abroad or hidden -- bet your bottom dollar --it would be folks that had kin killed and homes burnt by the yankees -- hard core yankee haters -- men that would rather die than see the money fall into the unions hands (men whos sons, fathers, brothers and homes had been burnt , wives raped , kids beated and abused --men with an ax to grind -- men full of hate --- men with nothing left to "live for" in some cases except to hurt the union any way they could)-- oh yes indeed a brutal war makes this kind of man sadly --- these are the type of "hard core" rebel men I speak of that yulee used to move the money . --- it may seem far fetched to some folks these days I know, but during the civil war these types of men existed on both sides , men with a very real and very deep hatred of the "other side" , no mercy to the enemy types --- often these types of men were sent on "one way" missions ones that if you lived thru it was by the grace of god ---- they were spawned by the evil horrors of war inflected upon them and loved ones --- Ivan

for those who must see things for themselves in print or it just can not be true --- please see volume xxx (30) oct of 1951 number 2 of the "the florida historical quarterly" to help learn about how deeply yulee was involved with the south's fiscal dealings -- he was a big time player and money man for the south-- anyone who bothers to do even a even a minor bit of research on david levy yulee will soon come to understand that. ( BTW you can thanks me for doing your research for you later)-- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread