How did you get SO! Far Off ??? :o
Gad zucks !
Phosphate !!
You've got to be kidding! ::)
If you are as good as a Treasure Hunter as you are a "Researcher"
You guys need to go back to SQUARE ONE!
Phosphate ...G....D... !
How in the world did you come up with That? ;D
I can't believe some one could be so far off base ????

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
BigCypressHunter:
Why would I want to give away clues to a Multi 100 Million Dollar Treasure ?
Now! If you will come up with a salvage crew , fully equipted, we might make a deal!
But!
As far as, to giving away any clues,
I don't think so!
This is way TOO BIG to be playing games with !
AND!
Holy ..... ! :o
Give me a break!
It is definately NOT PHOSPHATES ::) ::)

Who In The World would Consider a pile of that a TREASURE, anyway ???????

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My research led me to beef cattle. The Confederates needed beef and they bought it from Florida. Because the ranchers no longer trusted Confederate paper money near the end of the war, they insisted on being paid in gold and/or Spanish silver. The blockade put a damper on that and the ranchers then sold their beef to Cuba and then sometimes back on to the Confederacy.
The gold shipment was headed for Fort Meade. Because the fort was burnt down when they arrived and being pursued by Union troops, the Confederate troop detachment headed south into remote unknown swamp. This Confederate party was captured alive but the gold was never found. (Note that they were captured alive)

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cptbild said:
BigCypressHunter:
Why would I want to give away clues to a Multi 100 Million Dollar Treasure ?
Now! If you will come up with a salvage crew , fully equipted, we might make a deal!
But!
As far as, to giving away any clues,
I don't think so!
This is way TOO BIG to be playing games with !
AND!
Holy ..... ! :o
Give me a break!
It is definately NOT PHOSPHATES ::) ::)

Who In The World would Consider a pile of that a TREASURE, anyway ???????
I really dont know what to say. I cant even tell you if Im interested because you say nothing. Why even mention it? Why post in big bold colored letters on how valuable this treasure is?
Your reputation as a treasure hunter is good so I will leave it at that.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
big c -- your right -- the farmers said gold or silver for beef --- confederate paper money was no good as "payment" --- thus the need for gold and silver money --- "real" money --- even after the war lots of southern folks were very leery of "paper" money having been burnt by taking it during the war -- many folks said " I only want silver or gold in payment" -- screw your yankee paper money -- the point I was trying to make via my referance* was to show that that david yulee was indeed a big time player in the souths fiscal world -- to SWR --I agree in no way does it say -- "yes david yulee smuggled gold into the south and had it hid all over the place" --- when doing research at times you must do a bit of "free thinking" --not everything thing of the past is neatly written down to be spoon fed to you --- hey often the people that wrote the articles had to think about the subjects that they were researching , which is how the articles got wrote in the first place --- please you think its just open a book or click a web page and every bit of info you need just falls into your lap? -- oh please I wish it was that simple -- tell you what do your own research , I'm not doing a truck load of free research and breaking my back and spending my time and energy , just so you will be "happy" with me -- cuz it frankly itisn't worth it --you get my research for free and I all I get is a hard time from you -- not really a fair trade I'd say. --- nuff said --you think what you like -- I'll know what I know ---please feel free to put me on "ignore" -- Ivan

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
-- tell you what do your own research , I'm not doing a truck load of free research and breaking my back and spending my time and energy , just so you will be "happy" with me -- cuz it frankly itisn't worth it --you get my research for free and I all I get is a hard time from you -- not really a fair trade I'd say. --- nuff said --you think what you like -- I'll know what I know ---please feel free to put me on "ignore" -- Ivan
Try to leave a space when addressing two different members. I almost thought you were addressing me. :o :D

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
Gomez Point is at the tip of Panther Key.

Attachments

• Gomez Point Panther Key.JPG
    Gomez Point Panther Key.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 984

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
SWR please feel free to ignore my postings -- since we have nothing to talk about really -- it is plain that you do not want my " take" on history and thoughts of what may have occured and the why and how of it --- yes somethings that I write about are my strictly my own thoughts on why these stories exist and what historical facts if any there are to support these claims and if there might be some factual basis to support them in any way --- I know facts on david levy yulee got thru my own research - that leads me to believe that he did have large sums of gold and silver on hand at times -- money raised from sources both abroad and locally -- often times later on in the war he was forced to spend money to buy florida cattle for the southern armies --florida was a major beef supplier to the armies of the south in the eastern us --- ( yulee had to use gold or silver -- since later on in the war many of the cattle farmers were leery of confederate "paper" money --fearing the south might lose) . -- I however do not wish to share all of my hard earned research in a attempt to "prove" to you anything ,(thus allowing you to "pick" my brains for nothing - I often help others with my research and talk of theories and ideas with them) you however treat me rather mockingly and seem a bit mean spirited to me and since frankly I don't need or crave your approval on weither my ideas are valid or not it doesn't matter -- other folks can take or leave my ideas as they choose cuz its a free world -- since you don't like my ideas or the way I do things and will not "ignore" me then I'll just have to ignore you -- so its iggy button time bye bye "poof" your gone -- life just got better -- Ivan

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
SWR please feel free to ignore my postings -- since we have nothing to talk about really -- it is plain that you do not want my " take" on history and thoughts of what may have occured and the why and how of it --- yes somethings that I write about are my strictly my own thoughts on why these stories exist and what historical facts if any there are to support these claims and if there might be some factual basis to support them in any way --- I know facts on david levy yulee got thru my own research - that leads me to believe that he did have large sums of gold and silver on hand at times -- money raised from sources both abroad and locally -- often times later on in the war he was forced to spend money to buy florida cattle for the southern armies --florida was a major beef supplier to the armies of the south in the eastern us --- ( yulee had to use gold or silver -- since later on in the war many of the cattle farmers were leery of confederate "paper" money --fearing the south might lose) . -- I however do not wish to share all of my hard earned research in a attempt to "prove" to you anything ,(thus allowing you to "pick" my brains for nothing - I often help others with my research and talk of theories and ideas with them) you however treat me rather mockingly and seem a bit mean spirited to me and since frankly I don't need or crave your approval on weither my ideas are valid or not it doesn't matter -- other folks can take or leave my ideas as they choose cuz its a free world -- since you don't like my ideas or the way I do things -- its iggy button time bye bye
SWR does not believe in the KGB or whatever you call them. I believe my legend involved cattle money.

Since the soldiers in my legend were captured, where would they have been held prisoner and could there be records?

Knowing a little about the swamp today, I can easily see how someone could bury something and never find the location again.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: Swamp Gold Question for Jeff K.

JeffK. This was taken from your "Florida's Fabulous Treasures" site. Could you shed any light on where this came from or add anything to it?
http://www.treasurelore.com/florida/florida_treasure.htm

• The Florida Everglades is the area of a well documented lost treasure. Near the end of the Civil War, a Confederate paymaster being pursued by Union troops buried a million-dollar payroll, $200,000 in gold coins and the remainder in paper currency. Records reveal he wrote, “Chased by the enemy, we buried our payroll at a point in the Everglades at a junction of two creeks, where the land rises like a camel’s back. The money is buried in the west hump of the rise.” The area is somewhere between Alligator Alley and State Road 41 in the Seminole Indian Reservation.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
And another: http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cach...rate+gold+everglades&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

EVERGLADES....KGC .Captain John Riley trying to ship Confederate gold to Havana in the spring of 1865, was chased into the Everglades by Federal troops. Riley buried $500,000 in gold bullion in west central Broward County. A Confederate paymaster fleeing Federal troops buried $200,000 in gold coins in Hendry County and the area is supposedly between Alligator Alley and State Route 41.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
big c -- yes capt riley and some of his men were taken prisoner according to the story -- while they swore to die rather than surrender the gold entrusted to them and were "hand picked" men for these details --- its much easier to say you'll kill yourself or go out in a "blaze" of glory rather than to surrender than it is to actually do it when the time comes -- they lived but still did their duty that they swore to do -- which was basically to take the gold to a ship for transportion via ship to europe and if found out and chased to hide and prevent it from falling into the union's hands --- since as to the best of my knowledge the gold was never "found" by the union forces (or anyone else that I know of) they did their duty on the hiding part --- there should be "records" where they were captured --- but the "offical" records about it and them might have been "misplaced" due to the fact that the war was drawing to a close and there was vast sums of money at stake ( humm folks profiteering from war --nah they wouldn't do that would they?)-- I sure that folks in the know might want to take a crack at finding it after the war , thus lining their pockets (hey $200,000 dollars in gold was a huge sum of money back then -- its even today -- what 10,000 $20 gold peices ? with each one at each 1 oz with gold at $900 a oz ?-- (900 x 10,000) thats $ 9,000,000 at the current "scrap price" of gold ---- never mind the coin collectors value which would be more of course ) thus while there might have been records they might be very hard to find indeed for very easy to understand reasons.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Even if the same people that buried it tried to find it again, would have been nearly impossible without some knowlege of the area. The question is where can I find more information or records of this event?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Even if the same people that buried it tried to find it again, would have been nearly impossible without some knowlege of the area. The question is where can I find more information or records of this event?

Another question (or two) is why would the CSA be shipping gold to the Union held Havana...and evidently after the War was over...or, right at the same time the war was ending.

Captain John Riley trying to ship Confederate gold to Havana in the spring of 1865

And, where was it exactly where they swore to die rather than surrender the gold?
it doesnt say anything about that.

I didnt know the Union held Cuba. Are you sure? There may be 2 legends or they may be the same. Im not sure.
Only one mentions Havana. Florida ranchers sold a lot of cattle to Cuba in exchange for gold.

I can scrutinize and read these few excerpts backward and forward till I turn blue. I dont think it will help. What I need is MORE INFORMATION on these alleged events. This cracker story tells of how Fort Meade was the center of cattle activity and I have other papers stating this legend gold WAS headed for Fort Meade. http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/cowcav.htm
That is one reason I believe it to be cattle money, NOT KGC. I will have to dig it out and share more of what I have, I guess, if I expect any help. I appreciate your input.

I dont know where to research this. That is the help I need most. I know this legend(s) has been around for a long time. I remember reading about it in a treasure book as a kid.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
big c -- I think that you are indeed correct -- payment for beef -- was why the money was being sent to the fort -- this makes good sense and fits known facts very well --since the fort was the "buying" place to set up the cattle drives that were to go "up north" and gold would have been needed to pay for ithe beef going on those drives --- this also would explain why the union troops would have raided the fort -- to gain food for themselves (the cows) and disrupt the rebels food supply lines to troops up north -- (gettysburg) was fought some say because there was rumored to be a large supply of shoes there -- supplies getting them and keeping the enemy from having any was a key element of the war -- note the union naval blockade --it was used to slowly strangle the south into submission by preventing it from recieving supplies from abroad --- Ivan

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I can scrutinize and read these few excerpts backward and forward till I turn blue. I dont think it will help. What I need is MORE INFORMATION on these alleged events. This cracker story tells of how Fort Meade was the center of cattle activity and I have other papers stating this legend gold WAS headed for Fort Meade. http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/cowcav.htm
That is one reason I believe it to be cattle money, NOT KGC. I will have to dig it out and share more of what I have, I guess, if I expect any help. I appreciate your input.

That is typical for a “story” born out of somebody’s fantasy. No real beginning and no real ending.

You have probably taken notice that some of those Cracker Cattle sites claim much of the beef (beeves) shipped up North was done on a volunteer bases, for the war effort. Then some contradict themselves by complaining the Confederate script (money) was worthless. Either way, they do not really mention the CSA paying in gold, do they?

As far as the lost payroll, and the CSA burying hundreds of thousands of dollars in gold…legend/myth/fantasy. Nevertheless, it is plausible a Cattle Rancher cached some money, for whatever reason, at one time.
While it could be fantasy, it is certainly plausible.
I didnt read any volunteer beef. The Confederates needed Florida beef badly. It was often the only protein the soldiers in the south received. They had to pay for it. The Confederate Cow Calvary Mar 1864- Jun 1865 consisted of 9 companies, approx. 800 soldiers, to ensure continued beef supply.http://www.geocities.com/yes_album/Special_Cavalry.html

YES THEY CERTAINLY DO MENTION PAYING IN GOLD! You dont remember the River Ranch story of the rancher hiding all those gold coins received in payment from the Confederates? The link is no longer good..

This is not necessarily another KGC story.

Attachments

• scrubcows.jpg
    scrubcows.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 673

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
some of the cattle men used for the drives were on a volunteer basis ( they were local floridains cowboy types ) known as "crackers" as they were called because of the long bullwhips they used and carried -- some others used were florida men released from their normal confederate "front line" battle units to return to florida and whos job it was to move these cowherds northward to keep the rebel army supplied) ---non volunteers were paid in confederate script as wages for doing doing the work (confedereate script was next to worthless) -- the cattle themselves however had to be bought and paid for in gold -- that is what the gold shipment was for to be used to buy the beef that was to be shipped north from the local area florida cattlemen --many of the cattlemen would not take confederate script or "paper money" for their cattle --- thus the gold was in fact not for "payroll" at all but rather for payment of the beef to be shipped.-- however being the money was carried by a confederate army "pay master" and his detail --- of course folks would think of it as army "payroll" even though it was not actually -- now doesn't that make sense ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread