Indian Gold in Shoals, Indiana

Jul 30, 2011
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
There is supposedly a huge gold cache in Martin County, just north of Shoals, Indiana right off State Road 150 where it overlooks the White River on what is fondly called Rock McBride Bluff. During 1810, Indians from the area buried figurines and gold bullion in a safe. The legend says that the native indians buried a fortune in gold in a small cave near the bank of the White river and closed up the mouth of the cave. It was near a huge old oak tree. One indian who was a teenager when they hid the gold went back years later with a party to show them where the treasure was, but many of the trees had been cut and he couldn't find the oak tree.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
It would be very interesting to know when the first mention of this legend became known to the public. 1930's?

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in Loogootee back in the 90's and had the chance to do quite a bit of research on that treasure story and the one about the cache at Hindoston Falls. Both are complete hogwash. Funny thing is I moved to Illinois and where I now live there is almost an exact same story here about how the indians had a treasure and hid it before leaving but before they left they blindfolded the one white man they trusted and showed him the marvelous wealth.......blah, blah,blah.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did the indians get the gold in 1810?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread