Did Butch Cassidy Live to a Ripe Old Age?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Did Butch Cassidy live to a ripe old age? In other words, did he survive the South American shootout in 1908?

Personally, I don't think so. There was a time when the Old West was overrun with fake outlaws - old timers claiming to be Jesse James, Billy the Kid, et. al. They were publicity seekers after a moment or two in the sun as it set on their lives. Sad, really.

Well, here's the story I read about an unpublished ms. and a man who may have been Robert Leroy Parker:

http://news.yahoo.com/old-text-wrinkles-did-butch-cassidy-survive-083206159.html

And an interesting mention about Wild Bunch plants in the Wind River country.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
From Utah.com:

In 1969, when 20th Century Fox released its box office smash 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,' reporters came to Cassidy's childhood home, looking for his family. They found Mrs. Lula Parker Betenson, 86, Butch's youngest sister. Among other things, she told reporters that Cassidy had not died in South America in 1909, as was widely believed, but had come back to visit some 16 years later, in 1925. Lula said that Butch instead died in Spokane, Wash., in 1937, and spent his last years as a trapper and prospector.

I believe the sister also wrote a book about Butch. If anyone would know, it seems like the family would. I think some have alleged that Sundance returned too and lived under a new identity. Makes sense if true.

Attachments

• butch.jpg
    butch.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 872

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All

There is one part of me likes to think that he survived. But the semi abandoned mining town high up on the altoplano is a fitting memorial to such a legend that came to an tragic end. Perhaps the legend of this character is strong enough live on in the hope and dreams in those who was inspired by this larger than life character?

Crow

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Butch, Jesse and Billy the Kid...and a slue of others! Who Knows maybe they died the way history says or maybe they got away with it. The question I have have is if the coroner got a bullet out of Jesse James's head how was there a bullet hole in the wall? We probably will never know for sure but what if...

HH Charlie

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008
Re: Did Butch Cassidy Live to a Ripe Old Age? YES HE DID.

Butch died in Leeds, Utah on Dec. 12, 1956 going under the name of Robert McMullin. He was buried in the Nevada desert. Better read the true story by Kerry and Lisa Boren --- "BUTCH CASSIDY the UNTOLD STORY". J.S.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harry Longbaugh (sp?) lived to old age in the Utah state prison. There is a picture of him at about 76 years of age in the Kerry Boren book: "The Gold of "Shinn Ob". Who knows how much of that book is true, but even if it's all bull, it's well worth a read. There are so many obscure and bizarre connections of Utah history in it. I mean, Anasazi Indians migrating to Mexico and becoming the Aztecs. Returning with some of their gold treasures after Cortez and hiding it in the Uintah Mountains. Conquistador armor, gold reales, swords and helmets. Spanish pack trails hundreds of years old. Chief Wakara has a vision to give the Sacred mine's Gold to Brigham Young-- so he can mint coin and plate the Angel Moroni. Dannite enforcers, Butch Cassidy, and some Wild Bunch outlaws hiding out around the 7 Sacred mines. Mexican prospectors caught running slaves with gold laden burros, killed and robbed by men disguised as Indians..........Plenty of facts in it but always laced with a lot of wiggle room and conjecture (lies) to stretch the tale........ Boren himself is doing 20 years in the Utah State Penn right now (Don'y know what for)....The book use to be 1-200 bucks when it was out of print, but they just ran another edition. I think I got mine for around 25 bucks on eBay of Amazon and I'm finally reading it now.

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008
Kerry Boren is no longer in prison. Read his new book and compare old and more recent photos of Butch and the evidence Boren presents concerning Butch's later life in the States.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread