pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would start this thread to talk about early pioneers that don't have alot of fame. For instance in the Anza-Borrego area there is "Doc" Beatty, the Clark brothers as well as the Tripps' and many more. If you have anything about these early pioneers, and would like to share, maybe a meeting, or a book about them, or even a story that you heard or are a part of, please post it. Sometimes in history we tend to acknowledge the lead characters and forget the "wingmen". I just recently read the book "Cattlemen and other Pioneers of the Anza-Borrgo" and what a GREAT read it was. But it made me think that maybe someone met one of their relatives or has a oldtime story about one. This is not limites to the Southern California area but anywhere you live ( I just happen to live in socal).

Thankx
pegleglooker

Attachments

• PICT0233.JPG
    PICT0233.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 576

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Pegleg,I have a few blurps concerning my great-great-grandfather(Solomon Reed) you might find interesting.He was a good friend of the James',Youngers,Quantrill,and knew Bridger,Carson,Freemont,Pegleg Smith,etc..I'll start with a copy of a newspaper interview of 1927.Then if you are still interested,I'll tell some stories about the people I mentioned and why he was in the Union army vs the Confederate and several other things.I am 72yrs old but believe my memory is still good.My grandmother and g'grandmother raised me.They were his daughter and granddaughter.And yes,the Jim Reed of the Donner wagontrain was a cousin.I hope the article will not be too long for the forum,anyway,after you read it let me know if you want some other details.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Second Annual Homecoming Edition – Mt. Washington News, Fairmount, Mo. 1927
-----
Old Timer Recalls Time When This was a Pasture

Now Living within a Stone's Throw of Rock Creek Where He Wooed His Log Cabin Sweetheart, Veteran Recalls Incidents of History Which Left Notable Milestone of Mt. Washington Progress—Wounded in Battle of Lone Jack.

Mt. Washington of the days when wild turkeys were as common as barnyard fowls, when deer came down from the hills to browse on the tender shoots of Rock Creek, when squirrels were so thick that farmers killed them to protect their cornfields and let them lay—such is the domain remembered by Solomon Reed, civil war veteran, covered-wagon freighter, Indian fighter. And one of Mt. Washington's very oldest inhabitants. He was born here in 1837.
But if the squirrels were hard on the corn-fields the resourceful pioneers had effective means of getting even with them aside from killing as many of them as they could. Instead of feeding the hard-won corn to their hogs, they merely turned the porkers loose in the woods to feed upon the squirrels' acorns. In the fall when acorns were in their prime, and when the hogs were fat, the farmers called their dogs together, hooked up three yoke of oxen to a big sled and fared forth to the river bottoms and went hunting for wild hogs. After getting the sled loaded with the “game” there would be a hog-skinning bee, and there were feasts in the Mt. Washington neighborhood. Every farmer would have his own recorded marking for his hogs before he turned loose to forage and the dressed carcases were returned to their rightful owners. Or if the owners already were plentifully supplied with meat they oftentimes would give the pork to the hunters. :We had real neighbors in those days,” Mr. Reed commented.
In sickness, the best that the rural community afforded was put to the disposal of the family, and in death, the whole community quit work and walked to the grave where the voices of all joined in sacred hymns. And all stood about in silence until the last clod was placed and the mound smoothed over. Funerals were not the speedy affairs they are today, the old pioneer remembers.
In the fall when the Kaw Indians came in from the forests and the plains to take up winter lodging in the valley of Rock Creek, a market was provided for acorn-fattened hogs. “ My father used to have me hook up the oxen and gather up great loads of dead timber, late in the summer,” Mr. Reed recounted. “Great stacks of it would be piled around our house, and we would build a big fire that would last all winter. It was a big attraction to the Indians who would come to buy our meat with the money they earned at trapping. They would rather do this than to gather their own wood. It may have been a shiftless habit on their part, but they were a good race of men in a good many ways. I lived with the Shawnees for three years and if I had my life to live over again, I could not ask to be associated with a more agreeable class of people.”
Mr. Reed's brother, Mathias A. Reed for many years was associated with the Rev. Johnson at Shawnee Mission, teaching classes in Manual training which were conducted for the Indians. Later, the two brothers engaged in freighting to Mexico, and they had their taste of Indian fighting. They became acquainted with such men as Kit Carson, Jim Bridger, “Peg Leg” Smith, Bill Williams, the Bents, Sublette Gerry, Doyle and others who have made history in the winning of the West. And to see none other than John C. Fremont lose a $100 bet was a mere incident in historical side-light.

General Fremont had a thoroughbred horse in which he had so much confidence that he bet $100 with Colonel Bent that one of his men mounted on it would bring down a buffalo before an Indian mounted on one of Colonel Bent's mustangs could bring down the meat. The race was on, and while Fremont's mount was much faster, it's rider could not get him to go near the buffalo. The native horse being used to such work, brought its rider within easier range, and Colonel Bent collected the money.
The two brothers with their train once were surrounded by Indian's on the Cimaroon river and had to fight their way out. “I found a low place in the ground and laid an ox-yoke up before me where I could take careful aim at the line of Indians as they were crossing over on their ponies. “ 'You got one of them,' my brother called to me as they turned and fled.
“As the Indians had lashed themselves to their ponies so that they would not fall into our hands in case they were killed or wounded, it was hard to tell how many of them we hit. Soon after that my brother and I were separated. Thirty-five years later I went to look him up at Gridley, Kas. I found a boy plowing in a field and I knew it was one of my brother's sons. I asked him where the old man was, and he pointed him out, a hoe over his shoulder on his way to weed out the watermelon patch.
“I went up to him and spoke to him,but he never was very friendly with strangers,and he went on with his work. Finally I told him to take a good look at me and see if he could remember me. He said he didn't know me,and he wasn't any too polite about it,either,for he always had a reputation for being a man of few words.
Plum Tree Camouflage
“Then I asked him if he remembered the fight at the Cimaroon,and the man who was shooting at indians from behind an oxyoke.”Well,so this is Sol,is it?”,he exclaimed,and from that time on brother Mat was ready to kill the fatted calf for me.”
One time when Mr.Reed's party was crossing the plains and was making camp on the Cimaroon,he saw some splendid wild plums across the river,and went after them.He had to swim a part of the way,and did not take his rifle along.He cut down a sizeable tree and was taking it back to camp when he heard indians only a few yards away.He flopped down to the ground,with the tree on top of him,only his face showing through the branches.The indians passed by him without seeing him,which failure on their part enabled him to take plums back to camp with him instead of a carcass full of arrows.Two of the party,young fellows from New York who were not familiar with indian fighting,were surrounded while they were gathering driftwood at the river,and were shot with arrows and scalped.The indians retreated ,leaving their victims more dead than alive.The young men were left at Ft Larned,where they recovered.
Mr. Reed was with the Federal army in the Civil War and took part in many of the engagements in this part of the country in which Company F of the 5th Missouri Cavalry commanded by Capt William Smith was identified.He still carries with him two bullets and several scars received at the Battle of Lone Jack,and he can vouch for the fact that the fighting was good in those days.And it was down at Mason's farm at Blue Springs where Tom,his faithful horse,had a bad taste of the fortunes of war.
AN UNLUCKY STEED
“Another fellow and I were popping at one another,when some more Confederates rode up and I thought I was done for”,Mr Reed relates.My horse wheeled around,and I saw blood running from his mouth.
“Well,Tom,they've got you”,I said,but he calmed down,and when some of our men came up just then,the others rode off.After the fight was over,I sponged out Tom's mouth,and found that a bullet had gone into one cheek and took out a tooth from his lower jaw,and another tooth from his upper jaw,and the ball went on out through the other cheek.He was still as good a horse as ever,as far as I could see,but the government condemned him,and I lost a good,faithful friend.But that is the way things go in war.”
So it is,with philosophy,a sense of humor,and a clear insight into the things he is telling,and aided by a clear memory that the Mt Washington veteran tells of his eventful life and the things that life has meant to him,with the many hardships and its' triumphs.To sit on the porch with him on a summer day and to hear him tell of time and change in the community,is to get unique inspiration. And it is a thrill to the narrator as well as in the listener.There at his picturesque old farm house by the side of the road,with bungalows and filling stations and barbeque stands encroaching on the domain he knew as a pioneer wilderness, the gray-haired,gray-bearded veteran dreams his dreams.
A rock road passes in front of his home, and not more than a hundred yards away,a big freight train,or a fast passenger roars by. And yet,just off of Independence road,where Kentucky avenue veers off toward the river road along Rock Creek, it is a neighb orhood removed from too much noise and traffic. Rock Creek meanders quietly by,and the willows and sycamores rustle in the sultry August breezes much as they did when he wooed little Mahalie Hall who lived in a cabin down the creek a hundred yards or so three quarters of a century ago.
A Backwoods Romance
It was at the Kentucky bridge over Rock Creek that aaron Overton built the first mill in this part of the country—the mill that was later sold to Hickman,who moved it farther inland where it added the name Hickman Mills to community geography.In the days when his father,Mathias Reed took up his quarter section of land from the river to where Mt Washington now stands,there were Rueben Johnson,Adam Hill and only three or four other families in this neighborhood.The oldReed Spring,near where his father built his cabin has figured Mt Washington history for years,and it's pure crystal waters have been bottled and sold from time to time.
But let us listen to this sturdy pioneer and grizzled warrior tell how he wooed and won Mahalie Hall who lived on Rock Creek down near where Kentucky bridges the stream.
“I used to ride my horse across the creek right there across the road.” She could see me there from the house,and would be waiting for me out in front and would call to me and wave to me as I rode up.We were promised to each other when we were sixteen,but she said we ought to wait till we were twenty.That seemed to me a long time to wait,but we waited.With my long travels and all,we sometimes didn't get to see each other for a year or more at a time.
“One day,I rode my horse over the creek,and there was Mahalie waving to me.I rode up and said,Are you going with me this time,Mahalie?” And she said 'yes,I'll go with you,Sol' and I said,'Well get on this horse with me and we'll go and find the preacher.' She told me to ride back across the creek,and she 'd cross over on the foot-log. I rode around to the other side,and there I helped her on behind me.
“We lived together sixty two years—with of course some time out for my service in the army and with my trips to the plains.We were living in the Ozarks whenshe died. They wanted me to bury her down there,but I was determined to bring her back home. She's out in Mt Washington cemetary now and it won't be so long now til I'll be there beside her.”

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Solomon Reed and Mahalie,my G'G'Grandparents,and who I will call ol'pa and ol'ma as I was brought up to do.He was a member of the Old Plainsman Assoc.I have a ribbon he wore stating he was a member at the 1909 fair.He and the family were friends with Frank and Jesse James and Cole Younger.More so with Frank and Cole as they were older than Jesse.At the start of the Civil War,his three brothers joined the Confederacy but he did not go because he and his wife were expecting a baby soon.However,when he went to town(Independence)for supplies,he was conscripted into the union army and had to leave.The baby was born,my g'grandmother,named Nancy but who was called NONO by all of us kids.Qantrill came by the cabin to check on ol'ma and the baby as he knew ol'pa was gone.Ol'ma told him that it was a boy and that she named him after him,Qantrill(Wm).and if he saw ol'pa to tell him.Qantrill did see ol'pa and told him he had a son and ol'pa believed he had a son all the time until he got home from the war and found out it was a girl.
He only rode with Qantrill one time that I know of,even though he did attend the Qantrill reunions in later years. Ol'pa came home from town one day and found ol'ma and the baby locked in the smokehouse.She told him that the 'Redlegs' had raided the farm and took their meat and locked her up.He went to find Cole Younger and that was the same day that the 'redlegs' raided several farms and took many of the women and children.They took them to Kansas City to an old dilapidated grocery and sent the owner home.They crammed all the women into an upstairs room until the floor collapsed,killing several,including Cole Younger's niece.He and Cole then went to Qantrill and after telling him what had happened,Qantrill said the only thing to do was to eradicate the 'redlegs'.That's when they went to Lawrence,Ks and burned it and in effect,eradicated the 'redlegs'.(this event is in Cole Younger's autobiography).
Their cabin was often used as a safe house by the James',as it was in the woods not too far from the Sugar Creek ferry that crossed the Missouri River.Ada Wright,my grandmother and ol'pa's granddaughtrer,went to the one room schoolhouse that ol'pa's father built for the community,the same school that Anna Rawlins taught at(later Mrs Frank James).In fact, my grandmother was the first person Cole Younger came to see in Kansas City when he returned from prison in MN.Wanted a job.She gave him money but not a job and he and Frank James got together and went and joined a Wild West show.
The Qantrill reunions were held at the 'Wallace Hill' also known as 'Wallace Grove'.Jefferson Davis Wallace was a steadfast southern sympathiser and reveered Qantrill.His sister,Elizabeth(aunt E) was laid to rest beneath a large portrait of Qantrill in 1936.It was 'Aunt E' that welcomed all of the southerners.One day Jesse James ,having left his horse in the woods,came to the house for some supplies.He and Aunt E saw a posse coming up and not able to make it to the woods without being seen,Aunt E had him get under her skirt and petticoats as she stood on the porch waiting for the posse to arrive.They wanted to know if she had seen Jesse and when she said 'no',they insisted on searching the house and barn.Without moving she told them to go ahead and she remained quite still on the porch 'til they had finished and left.No man in those days was going to ask a lady to raise her skirts.As a youngster,I was never told if Jesse behaved himself while under there.

Well it's late and I've been at this for awhile.I'll try and get some more of my thoughts together another day.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleg, thanks for getting this topic started.

Warsawdaddy, keep those stories coming. Very interesting...love it!!!

;) RR

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Warsawdaddy,
That was wonderful! I hope you keep 'em coming.

And I'd like to ask permission to copy and send it to a friend of mine who told me about the origin of Quantrill's raiders (where the women were locked up in the building that collapsed). She'd be fascinated.

I'm so glad you posted those!

HH
Nan

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
i will need to look it up...but i have some info of frank and jessie...working on a relatives farm in southeast minnesota....also i know why frank did a wildwest show in hot springs arkansas for years....he spent his spare time looking for the 36,000 in gold(back then)....they took off a butterfield stage and hid near lonsdale

it was found in the mid 70's....but the finder has not been seen...since the i.r.s came looking to talk with him

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warsawdaddy I can't thank you enough... this is what I was hoping for. These are the stories that make people say "WOW". I hope you keep them coming and maybe inspire others to write theirs as well. Thankx again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!

pegleglooker

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Roswellborn - If your friend lives in MO.,there is a picture of several(15-20) of Qantrill's raiders at one of their reunions on Wallace hill,in a restaurant,I think Mary's,in Blue Springs,MO.I don't think there are any names on it or maybe a few.Bess Truman was a Wallace.My uncle use to tell how he and Bessie played together when they were young.This really hasn't anything to do with pioneers,but I'll throw it in anyway.My grandmother who raised me,had a prominate restaurant in downtown KC that catered to all the show people(actors) that came to town.Buntline even made her a small pistol,3-4",and the bullets for it.It was a breakdown revolver,I've even played with it.Anyway,later,when Truman had his haberdashery,she always gave him free lunch.After he became prominat and President,we always got a Christmas card from them.I don't know what ever happened to them or her pistol or ol'pa's 1851 navy colt.I was in CA when she died and was not notified until quite sometime later.When I got home,everything was gone,including two old steamer trunks with the old uniforms,buttons,jewelry,old newspaper clippings,etc.,my sister did manage to get the old family bibles,My granmother just missed the '06 SF quake.She had gotten married and they went to SF on their honeymoon.They left and went to San Jose the day before.She said that night they went outside and the sky was all aglow from the fires..I know during WW11,I had to trade one of the old shotguns at the grocery for a 5# bag of sugar,we had used all the ration stamps.
The Jim Reed that was a cousin and was prominent on the Donner wagontrain disaster,I don't know much more than what has been written.His youngest daughter's g'daughter was living not too far from where I was in Hayward,CA in the early sixties,but I am ashamed to say,I did not go to see her.There was another James Reed relative in Arkansas that was a crook.He married Belle Starr and he was killed in Tx,I believe.I know when I was young,my g'mother and g'g'mother talked about Belle's granddaughter was living in MT Washington.I don't think I ever met her.Sometimes the old folks would go visit and I stayed home.What kid wants to hang with old people,anyway?Wish I could turn that old clock back! Maybe more later---

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
The name of James and Jesse were popular in our family.I've already mentioned a couple of James Reed.Solomon Reed had three children,one I've mentioned is my g'gdmother Nancy(nono).He had another daughter named Elizabeth who I don't know too much about.I do have a couple of pics of her.He also had a son,Jesse(my g'uncle),who I do remember with fondness.He was a pallbearer for Jesse James when they brought Jesse from St Joe back to the farm in Kearney.Many of the onlookers didn't know him and thought maybe he was Frank James.John Hall(my g'grandfather),who I grew up calling grandpa because I called my g'mother mom,was married to nono.They were actually 1st cousins,but guess it didn't bother any of us offsprings.I remember him telling about when they went to Ft Worth in a wagon.He bought a saloon there but lost it one night in a card game.He said he had to go out the next day,wearing spats and his finest and got a job digging ditches.The man loaned him $2 to buy some overalls.He used to take me out to the old Wallace place woods and we would pick sacks of paw paws.In those days,families all lived together,family took care of family.The old folks would always eat first and then us kids.That was understood from birth.When he and nono had my g'mother,she was born in a wagon and only weighed about 1 and 1/2 lbs.She slept in a dresser drawer.But guess we are a hardy bunch.My g'mother's son,my uncle, was named Jesse also.I now have a neice named Jessica,but called 'Jessie".Pregnancy,babies were never discussed in front of us youngsters.I remember when I was about 4 or 5 the old mother dog had pups and I asked my g'mother where she got them.She told me she dug them up under a bush.Well, I about destroyed the yards digging the bushes.I guess I gave them a hearty laugh for some time.I remember going with my g'mother and g'g'mother out to Rock Creek where my g'grenmother's cabin use to be.They would pick 'greens' while I just fooled around the creek.It was real pretty,the creek meandered in and out of a meadow all the way to the MO River.It's all gone now.Factories moved in and bulldozed the road and have it all blocked off.A real shame.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Story has it in my family.....which some I have been able to verify....that when my German ancestors, who left Prussia, came to the US...first settled in Wisconsin (MN was not a state at the time). They came over in 1852...then they moved on to Mankato, Blue Earth Co, MN on 30 May 1856. I can't find info on my 2nd gr grandpa, but stories state two different ones, he either died in Wisconsin just before the family moved or enroute to MN. But apparently, one of my 4th cousins found a grave site at the ST Peter and Paul Cemetery that was to belong to them...so he prob died just after arriving in MN...anyways. BTW, some of my gr gr uncles/grandparents helped build this church :)

This is my SAENGER side (many dropped the first 'e'...as did my own grandfather and they became SANGER). My gr grandfather, Pete Saenger (kept the original spelling :))....he owned a livery stable and housed many famous horses (Dan Patch, Man O' War, etc). I have a pic of my grandfather with Man O' War...but it was taken in Kentucky, I believe...when granddaddy (after serving in WWI), moved around alot. He loved horses. Infact, Granddaddy would only wear black slacks, white long sleeve Arrow Brand shirts and Hanover Shoes...until the day he died. He use to work for the Hanovers as well on a ranch!

My other German ancestors were THEISSEN. Family story has it they had built the first two wagons for the Ringling Bros Circus. I even called and spoke to someone at Circus World (based in Florida) back in the 80's and they keep records of all circus' in the US...not sure about the world...but I know of the US over time. They had no records of my families name....

From what I was told...they were brothers, my gr grandmothers two uncles, who built them....but all that I have is a newspaper article stating this. Circus World said they may have built two wagons, however, not the first. Many farmers were asked to build wagons for the circus. Maybe my family thought they were the first LOL....

Also, when the Sioux Uprising happened in 1862?, my gr gr grandmother and my gr grandfather, John Peter Saenger (a baby at the time)....watched the event of the hanging of the Sioux...I have read up on this and found it quite interesting. They sat on the back of the wagon and there is suppose to be a picture/drawing of this hanging that shows my gr gr grandmother and gr grandfather in it..but I have yet to see it :(.

And another thing, Max Saenger, is a cousin of mine...he was in the political scene in MN (Blue Earth Co) and he wrote an article about the family arriving in MN and how there were only 5 houses at the time of their arrival. How they found an old shanty/house to move into until their home was built. How the local Indians were friends of the family (not the Sioux...can't remember the tribe)...anyways, how they showed my ancestors how to plant corn and stuff....I thought it was quite interesting.

So, it may not be as exciting as Jesse James, but still exciting to me ;):)....heck, maybe some of my relatives met a famous outlaw....I just have not found out about that story yet :)....

Happy Trails,
Annmarie

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Ron and ann. Anytime a story includes ones family it becomes very personal and very very special. It doesn't matter if there is not a celebrity involved. What matters is that the story has been remembered and retold.
AWESOME story !!!!

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread