The lost fortune of the Revillagigedo Fund

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: many points to remark on Ho annie, have missed you. one point that needs clarification was --

'most male yaquis had migrated south to the ixtle plantations of the yucatan'

They were 'forcibly' deported by Diaz Most died on those plantations.

I agree, they never seriously mined. The largest one in their territory was by a group of Mexcians They are still inside of it, I have posted this story. Juan showed it to me and how to get into it.

Regarding Yaqui raiding conductas, they certainly, did especially during during the French occupation. In fact I was involved in attempting to recover one extremely large one, I desperately wanted two of those French Lances to mount over my fire place' my Yaqui friend died before we finished, It is in a slide area, in the middle of which is a rock outcropping that splits the flow, it has the cave It is a simple matter to cover it up and to reenter it ihen you wish, but not to find to a casual seeker.

This may be the one offered fo sale, but the modern Yaqui, is like his Philippine counterpart, they sell maps, fake gold bars, and treasure astories like a vendor of lil girlies on the border..

They raided whenever it was possible on the French refuges fleeing to Guaymas to board ships for France.

Long story here which I attempted to work out. The mines were further north, The Placers of Tepoca, and even up to the present US border, perhaps even the Superstitions. ?? Thay shipped by sea to avoid The gangs that appeared.

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.S. The treasures belonged to the individal family not the tribe in general.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow, I first learned about those islands in my "Bowdich" book on maritime navigation in the section on Hurricanes, and how o minimize the danger or anticipate it by identifying which quadrant you were in. Old sextant and watch guy, :laughing7:

A tremendous amount of mine production was shipped by sea, it wac xrawling with pirates, it would be very easy to add to the treastue ? on the island by sailing to the islands, unloading, then simply scuttling the ship and claim it was a victim of piracy which it was :laughing7: and so was accounted for. Crews were very expendable.

Don Jose de La Manchau

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
i guess everyone will believe what their emotions urge them to believe . and i have no reason to try to sway otherwise. i understand from this newspaper clipping that we are talking about a time period prior to 1811 for this to have taken place. at that time the yaquis were living an aboriginal lifestyle. abject poverty. and never involved in mining,yes some were enslaved in the mines. the active mines in operation during that time located in yaqui territory can be counted as less than a dozen. and contrary to popular belief most operated at a loss. it apparently is assumed that to have and operate a mine immediately suggests incredible wealth. those mines that were successful are on record and paid taxes and tribute to the church. the tepoca pearl placers in the sea of cortez were the only pearl placers of note and were rich as they were quickly exausted only after a few years, their production and manifests are on record. i am openminded and anything is possible but for my sources of information i find the values attributed to the treasure hard to accept. to get a true insight into yaqui life in english check out the work" new trails in mexico" by lumholtz. i have also read several accounts in spanish,of yaqui life ,written from the yaqui point of view. i also worked on several mining projects in yaqui territory for about 6 years and read about the yaqui wars. and we at our camp were approached by them to offer us their treasure.////// what i find incredible is the amount of gold reported to exist in many of these treasure stories. when we take into account that total world production for all of history (gold doesnt oxidize) is a cube 90x90x90 feet. and that the aztecs washed gold in the land of zacatula ,specifically el rio placeres de oro in the state of guerrero ,as the principle source of gold. and that gold was stored in the quills of feathers. and they did not have any knowledge of hardrock mining.they accumulated gold like this for some 300 years. the gold was for ornamental purposes only, coffee beans were the monetary instrument. to store gold in the quills of a feather does not indicate massive production. remember gold is the most mallable and ductile substance on earth. one ounce can be drawn out into one mile of wire. most weights ive been able to research given in treasure stories are actually for ore. the weights for statues etc are total weight where they're only covered in a thin gold shell. to this day mexico who is a world leader in silver production and copper etc ,the gold production does not meet demand. usually running @ 40 metric tons. and we are talking about some of the largest mining operations in the world. i would like to see a thread on how to evaluate a treasure lead for authenticity and viability. also there is a revillagigedo island up north towards alaska the name also attributed to this count. it also has rumors of treasure. i have no reason to believe or disbelieve the story and once again great work crow in researching news clippings. but hard to swallow the precious metals values in these stories.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning annie, coffee? fresh brew. Excellent post, Incidentally the 'Placers' of Tepoca was an actual town, The ruins are near to the 'Perlas' of Tepoca. In fact the access to La punta de Tepoca _ Tepoca point -- road cuts through the lower placer field I am surprisedthat they didn't discover it, but again maybe they did, The soad is the center of a denouncement - filing --.The actual site came from an old map is in the Huntington Beach Library. It showed a capilla, and a typical cummunity well. It is in the Hills to the right, east. away fron the coast. Casual checking indicates they were wiped out by the Seriies. They were under siege by the Seris and when their food ran out, they fought their way to Horcasitas -- present Hermosillo -- leaving the accumulated metal behid.

As I mentioned several times, I spent over 5 years living with the Yaqui, I was responsible in way for the irrigation canal that parallels the highway that passes through "La loma de Guamucil". However I doubt any of the present gen, remember me.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p,s La Tarasca & Las Pimas lie near Ortiz. to the west.

Last edited:

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
hi don jose, there are two tepoca(s) in the state of sonora. one is the site you mention punta tepoca ,the site discovered by the spanish and exploited for pearls, and then there is another tepoca, located in the municipality of yecora , site of a once legendary rich gold placer . long 109.25 lat 28.4. this lost and abandonded placer is just east of the village and its name is canada de oro (gold canyon) . it is an excellent site for metal detecting, and a small scale placer operation. this is a free tip because noone knows about its history anymore. i have written a book about mexican placer deposits, some 10 years in the works. hoping to get it published soon. this is one of the 100 or so placers deposits i was able to re -identify. in the state of sonora alone.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
And all this speculation could just now be a moot point anyhow?

For those who suspect if the If ya inclined to think the actual island that this alleged Revillagigedo Fund was actually buried on was St Benedict itself? Then perhaps we will never know? The volcano in 1953 erupted and destroyed all the wildlife on the island and created a whole new peninsular. Did the eruption cover forever the Revillagigedo Fund that was hidden in one of the volcanoes lava tubes?

San Benedicto.JPG

SanBenedictoL.gif

28_561.jpg

San-Benedicto-isla.---Barcena-er.---GVP.jpg

san benidicto.jpg

080214-Socorro-56-12x18.jpg

If ya inclined to think the actual island that this alleged Revillagigedo Fund was actually buried on was Socorro itself? Then perhaps exploration of the underwater Lava Tubes connected to sea might lead to a hidden chamber of riches? The following picture is from one sea caves in the south of the island.

underwater cave socorro.jpg

underwater cave socorro 2.jpg

And of course for those who share some healthy skepticism may feel the need to confirm their suspicions either way by finding ant documents that might identify the name of this alleged secretary of viceroy? Or I dare say the original documents? Which may shed some more light on this intriguing of mysteries.

Crow

Last edited:

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
the other moot point is that the islands are a natural reserve under the mexican national park system. thanks crow ,for interest in my book. i would be honored to send you a copy when i finally get it printed. ill keep you informed of my progress.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias mi compadre annie. Did you get the one on the rio san Lorenzo where it passes between Durango and Sinaloa ?? If not I'll give you the story & data. I don't believe that it has ever been worked commercially.

Jose

P.s. pst let's get a mining co. in there and make a fortune - for us as well as a co.
Crow has already made his

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, in regards to the possible location being loused up by the eruption, I think that there is still a chance since the Lava flow is to the south of the potential landing site. I doubt that they would carry it very far from the unloading area. It is just as safe as anywhere else,

jose

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose Yes I tend to agree landing on these islands is hot and hard work over rough uneven terrain. Well and least the islands I have visited in the Pacific.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you stay well outside of the Biosphere Reserve boundaries, as others are decimating marine life within those protected areas. There's plenty for all and we really must respect one another's territories. 'It is illegal to step onto the islands' and illegal to fish within 9.6 or so miles of their shorelines. I'm heartened to hear how much you enjoyed the diving, as we do!

Reply · Like · Follow Post · September 3, 2013 at 9:55p

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose

Me and my fellow misfits footprints is a mere small one...

If We had to listened to every tree hugging save the ethnic, refugee, gay feminist whale brigade. We would all starve because every thing we do hurts the environment..

The reality most of these people came from wealthy middle class backgrounds sprouting environment like a new religion with no real idea of big picture of real world. They rant this crap to feel good about themselves then jump into their gas guzzling SUV and pick the Kids for school that's in walking distance. The use the electricity generated from heavy industry and mining. They live in houses made of timber and spout the view that all forestry workers, farmers, miners, fisherman and factory worker who make these middle class snobs lives comfortable are now all of sudden we are all evil bast...s How hypocritical.....

There was quiz of kids asking where does milk come from? 49% said the shop. Highlighted the ongoing problem of urban populations having little or no understanding of the environment around them.

The real problem of the world is over population and the need for food as demand is outstripping supply. These pressures are more and more are puting demands on the remote parts of the world.

There are islands all around the Pacific that have similar biosphere status

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose ya I know..... The people I mentioned I just have a pet hate with.:occasion14:

Crow

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
For what it's worth, the folks over at the Socorro Island Conservation Fund say that Socorro was originally named Santo Tome and San Benedicto was named Inocentes.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Culinary Caveman Its my please you enjoyed the treasure yarn as that is what they are there for. Most will turn out to be just legends and some will have more truth to them. In all for those who love a mystery and a yarn it is pure mind candy....

Gidday Allen

That is an excellent point! Looking at old charts do not help much either. For the description from the Newspaper story it seems to fit more to Socorro than to San Benedicto?

The chart below to show how confusing with names on the early charts where.

st thomas.jpg

It we could find a chart available to Spanish at the time contemporary to the alleged burial of this Treasure we might be able to identify the correct island?

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread