lead1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 636

bob123

Feb 25, 2009
east coast
Re: what do you think

desertmoons said:
I did not take this picture.
Is there history of any specific indian tribe in that area? If so look to find any information about that tribe see if they marked stuff. Otherwise it could just be a marvolous natural thing and not of human creation.
all the best,
Bob

minetres

Mar 13, 2008

Great picture I would love to see the area where this was taken. Who ever took this picture needs to get there metal detector out and scan every square inch of this spot. I would.

Minetres

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

minetres said:
Great picture I would love to see the area where this was taken. Who ever took this picture needs to get there metal detector out and scan every square inch of this spot. I would.

Minetres

Minetres,

I agree,
But a two box is my detector of choice for this.

Bob,
This isn't Native American.
It is Spanish.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

That is quite an interesting carving, moons. Sorry I didn't notice this two years ago. Obviously, we'd like to know what general part of NM it was located. The 'JJ' (right one backwards) is frequently identified with Jesse James, whether correctly or incorrectly. It is known James spent significent time in the Hillsboro and Silver City areas in the late 1800's. The 'U8' (missing right crossbar) is intriguing too.

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct

It appears as if they were "pecked" as well, not chisled. (meaning if any?)

Again, still new but it doesn't hurt to ask questions outside of the box right?

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other

I would think it was a petroglyph, but I would also defer to Thom.

Tom

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

What a difference a year makes. I look at this now and think "Doh!" Anyway it is Northern New Mexico. To me it is in a surprising place but I am surprised easily.

Have you heard of or seen things of a similar nature out your way Springfield?

I thought JJ at first too..but somehow it does not look the same as other jj's you see out on the net that perhaps are better documented as being related to outlaws.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

o.k. everybody, i will bite to see what happens next. the first thing on the left looks like a stick figure of a man except his left arm means something else. is the 'U' with one crossbar supposed to be a horse shoe. also why is everything kind of leaning instead of straight up and down? any significance to that? the 8 or two o's i don't have a clue except there are posts that explain it. i'm sure someone can explain so i will be waiting :laughing9: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread