Treasure Signs and Symbols 101

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Rangler,
This is a great post for the newbie... I guess i could be considered a newbie to treasurehunting, I'm a hiker turned treasurehunter.
I learned of a legend in my area about lost silver mines, with hidden treasure buried here and there, and a huge storehouse for some of this silver hidden in a Indian cave. I have been researching and studying this for the last 5-6 years now. The silver mines here were worked by possably some Spanish, French/Indian, and John Swift. I have located many rock carvings where no public has access to these sites. I know for a fact that there was alot of French and Indian activity in the area i speak of. I noticed in the beginning of this topic you mentioned the "Owl". The pic Very well could be circles as well, your opinion would be greatly appercated.
circlecarvings.jpg

Also found what seems to be a trailmarker shape of a triangle with two hash that lead in the direction of the mine i found.
kikohikespring07032.jpg

I will say i have located a mine in a cliff side in the area of these carvings (i have pics of). Its hand dug, not natural, and tunnels back in the mountain for some distance. It appears to have been back filled at some point, i was able to get back in the mine about 25ft to where the back fill was. There was a distinctive hollow sound in the floor....I'm thinking something could be buried there, and plan to check this out within the weeks to come.... Thanks for any help you guys might offer :thumbsup: -Ki-

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hello KI,
Thought someone would have at least said something by now.

I have Stated many times, When working one of these BE VERRY CAREFUL.
The Spanish didn't backfill where they weren't coming back.
This could be trapped and it also will have natural dangers built in that come with time.

Please go slow and if you have any questions let us know.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
ADIM

AD = Anno Domini, "in the year of our Lord"
I M = 1 from 1000, or 999

Just an observation
Oroblanco

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KI wrote:
It appears to have been back filled at some point, i was able to get back in the mine about 25ft to where the back fill was. There was a distinctive hollow sound in the floor....I'm thinking something could be buried there, and plan to check this out within the weeks to come....

DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY
TRAP DOOR! TRAP DOOR! TRAP DOOR! TRAP DOOR!

Please check out Kenworthy's book on Death Traps. He illustrates different configurations used by the Spanish and they all are diabolical. He also gives examples of what to look for as signs outside and inside of the mines where these traps are installed.

I'd rather be wrong and you alive than right and you dead. Please check it out.

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
-KI- A FRIEND OF MINE SUGGESTED A TF-900 TO DO THE FLOORS OF A TUNNEL,, TO HELP FIND ANY TRAPDOORS OR HOLLOW SPOTS!! td

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ki, still hasn't posted anything since Nov. 30. I sure hope that wasn't one of those self-closing trapdoors in that mine and he found out the hard way.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seahorse

Oct 24, 2009
college station tx.
Detector(s) used
ace 250,mxtpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks very much for your knowlege of the triangle direction. have no pics yet . will send some later. close to old spanish trail. found heart rock , eagle, owl ,. and large cross flat on ground i think . this stuff is amazing. owl facing south , eagle facing east, rock heart pointing east and west , cross pointing looks like north south east and west. some other signs i think. also a large 7 top pointing west . any ways will try to get pics and once again thanks. your friend seahorse.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Forgot to say welcome.
Hope to see some pictures.
That 7 you speak of is probably in reference to a camping place.
They especially used to mark their camps with a 7.

A biblical thing ... God created the world in 6 days

on the 7th day he rested.

ellingtonk

Greenie
Mar 4, 2008
Hi,
I see this thread is still alive. Ol' dog thanks for answering my email offline about my 'mystery symbols'.
As lame as it sounds, I have no digital pics, only 35mm photos 'exist' (they aren't mine).
I'm trying to help solve this site for my close friend who prefers to remain offline. I asked if I could scan a few photos about signs we have in question & post them on the forum & he didn't object much... :)
I know where this site is but am currently on to something else but alot of questions remain.
For now I've posted some crude pics I drew of symbols on rocks in the area after reviewing pics last night.

Notes on the pics -
set #1 - the symbols are layed-out/aligned as drawn
#2 - I've seen a similar symbol on this forum/elsewhere... but we don't get it. Does it indicate a gulch or?

#3 - Star cluster of circles/boulders ... I only have WAGS (Wild Ass Guesses) A mtn topo-map? A nest of mines? A booby trap?
#5 - Miner stick-man .... again WAGS: A mine is nearby? Follow the direction of pick?
#6 - Again seen a similar symbol on this forum/elsewhere.
A similar example (but flipped):

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...official&tbs=isch:1&ei=0N-sS8zUFYrEtAPmtLHpCw

Thanks for bearing thru this post. Hopefully I can share something more interesting soon.

Attachments

• set1.jpg
    set1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,093
  • set2.JPG
    set2.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 2,021
  • set3.JPG
    set3.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 2,136
  • set6.JPG
    set6.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 2,117
  • set5.JPG
    set5.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,006

ellingtonk

Greenie
Mar 4, 2008
PS -
I've read that a pickaxe handle without the head can mean 'dig here' -
but with the head on, can mean to dig in that direction. I have no real idea. Perhaps one should dig under every miner symbol regardless?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Welcome Kurt,
Thanks for the pictures,
I will look them over and let you know what I find.
as you are aware the signs are extensive and will require more time than I have in the next few days as I have to go to work in just a little while. I will get back to this on Monday and let you know what I see.
(and No, Idon't recomend digging under every miner sign. LOL)

Once again ... Welcome.
Thom

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Ellingtank The second symbol (set 2) seemed familiar . I have no interpretation but found this picture with the same symbol. Perhaps more of the symbols can be tied together to find meaning. Every time I think it might get dry enough to get out, we get more rain/snow .ARRRG Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpgA.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpgA.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,713

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
The U symbol means dig here mine area below. I would look under the rock where this symbol is there could be an entrance there under a cap rock.

Minetres

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread