Why is there a large cross on this mountain?

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

Attachments

• leadville 2010 018.JPG
    leadville 2010 018.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 924
  • leadville 2010 019.JPG
    leadville 2010 019.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 942

RockHopper2

Nov 22, 2009
Fletcher, OK
Re: large cross on mountain top?

The cross is a map of the area. The rocks in those lines tell you what the terrain will be like. the rocks on the end will be the shape of the mountain they are pointing to. I've never seen one that big, the ones I find are about 3ft across. They are easy to pass by if you don't know what to look for. RH2

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first thing I thought of when I saw your first pic was a huge pointer. That angular section of the circle on the left side (as you'll looking at the photo) seems to be the indicator. I'm thinking that it is NOT a medicine wheel...........but could be wrong.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

first things first thats clearly not naples , florida ;D-- to me has a sorta middle eastern look maybe -- knowing general rough location --could help greatly in helping figure out the why it might have been made -- in scotland it might mean direction or just a item made to show "faith" --in the middle east, however it could take on a whole differant meaning.

that is a old style christan type "celtic cross" -- clearly it took someone or a group of folks some time to make it * thus some sort of meaning --now the BIG QUESTION / hard part is figuring out exactly what that meaning is. -- is there a body "under it"? maybe its a grave marker of sorts -- or does it point towards a nearby "sealed up" cave ? where a body (and / or possible treasures) might be placed (maybe) -- knights of old traveling in the middle east during the crusades often buried fallen freinds marking grave sites in this manner --also treasures were known to be hidden as well -- and the cross pointed towards the caves used to hide things or to show the route they took while traveling --sort of a guide to others looking to "link up with them"

there are several reasons why it could have been made -- now you got to look at the place and its history to try and figger out the "why" --it was done -- since you know know the "who did, what ,when , where -- you only need to know "why" to finish the "mystery"--

who --most likely old knoght / christans --did what --made a "celtic cross"--- when ---long ago --where --at that location --- now figger out WHY? and you will have your answer. -- i gaving you 4 out of 5 "answers"--good luck on the 5th.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan, you posted a very logical and learned evaluation. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

i try to help --at times knowing the general location can be a highly important * in figgerinng out the puzzle --

early christans knights used the "celtic cross" for many years in the middle east crusades -- plus various parts of the catholic faith did as well later on as they explored -- and of course irish and scottish use the "celtic cross" heavily -- since they are "celtic".

all 3 types of folks could have easily used this marking in the "mountions" --these are 3 very widely differant time frames and areas --so knowing the general area its in is vital.

please note in the photo that that the top point of the cross is in rough alinement with the mountion peak in the distance . :wink:

OP
OP
colorado14ers

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

Old Dog said:
Good Question,
Where is it.

If in the South Western Us Including CO
It looks a lot like the Church cross the jesuits used to leave to mark camps in High altitudes.
Especially when there were only this kind of rock available.

its located just west of Buena Vista, Co. Maybe someone did it as a joke? But if it was a joke, someone went through a lot of trouble to move the rocks :icon_scratch:.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

colorado14ers said:
... its located just west of Buena Vista, Co. Maybe someone did it as a joke? But if it was a joke, someone went through a lot of trouble to move the rocks ....

Hippies. Take it to the bank.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

could be spanish explorers --or a religious type person who went there to pray -- some folks seek "a peaceful place" to be away from others to clear their minds --the mountion area would be ideal for that -- so most likely either A -a religious symbol thats just that --a religious symbol -- or B a explorers trail which way we went marker C.--grave site or D. camp site marker or E it might show the way to a treasure cave or be a treasure marker--- I do find the fact that the top of the cross -- points toward the mountion top in the distance interesting . ??? :dontknow:

is it east ward facing --as in does the sun come up at the top of the cross (as in it a east/west long part of the cross with the cross bar north/south ---or--- is it north /south-long way with a cross bar east/west set up --how is it set up "compass" wize.

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois

thanks dsty,i like the rabbit and the big cat head also.seems like the cat has a bear paw in his head.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Going back to that first photo and looking at the shadow of the gentleman walking in the background, the mountains on the far horizon are either South or North. Doing some speculating, I would think that these folks were exploring in the morning hours; so the top WOULD be South. I mean, they wouldn't be this far out in the late afternoon, would they? Yes, I know about camping and exploring at all hours, but the light just SEEMS to be the morning type. :dontknow:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Fascinating.
I've never seen anything like the "cross" but.. it might be interesting to think big...really big..and examine the peaks and slopes thereof.

That upright black triangle there in the background might be a good place to start and look around.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Picture below 7/4/1992 Gunnison National Forest Rainbow Family gathering. These guys and gals have a habit of constructing medicine wheels, celtic crosses, compass roses, rock cairns, etc. everywhere they camp. C'mon, guys - do you really believe this is 'Spanish'?

Attachments

• 4thcircle.jpg
    4thcircle.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 794

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois

springfield put your cloths on!! thats no way to make friends. show some pictures of the work they left behind.haha

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Springfield:
The purpose of this discussion is to figure out whether or not Spanish explorers, Ancients, or some naked idi0ts smoking pot put this formation down. We all know how you and certain others do not believe in trails of treasure marks and symbols, so now that you've registered your disbelief AGAIN, thank you and goodbye. :thumbsup:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Shortstack said:
Springfield:
The purpose of this discussion is to figure out whether or not Spanish explorers, Ancients, or some naked idi0ts smoking pot put this formation down. We all know how you and certain others do not believe in trails of treasure marks and symbols, so now that you've registered your disbelief AGAIN, thank you and goodbye. :thumbsup:

You are correct about the purpose of the discussion, stack. Concerning me - oh, how very wrong you are. If you knew my history (you won't), you would certainly eat those words. My goal, in this particular topic anyway, if nothing else, is to remind seekers that 99%+ of the manmade signs found in the mountains were created by persons who had nothing to do with 'treasure'. If you wish to believe that every stack of rocks you find in the woods is 'Spanish', be my guest. I just happen to be a little more discriminating, that's all. Bye.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The cross could be Presbyterian or Celtic in nature. Here's a link to the site that contains information and the picture below: http://www.viewzone.com/ogam.html
ogam.anim.gif

Hippie works. From the same site springfield posted his picture from. A little research goes a long way. Asking for help from others is okay but, it is not the same as doing your own homework.
rocks.jpg

pa99-1.jpg

I would also do some research on Presbyterian movements in your area. Your landmark could well be a simple cross that was constructed while folks were in a winter camp or spring camp. Maybe they set up a new one whenever they made camp. Before the internet and videos games, lots of folks had nothing else to do other than work and pray.

Here is a carving of mine. Because I know the area so well, I recognized the vertical part of the carving right away. I wasn't until I got back to Texas for research that I discovered that it is a map of my favorite mountain area. The vertical part is an exact replica of a riverbed and the three horizontal parts exactly match three vallies that drain into the river.

Attachments

• 1st OEsmall.jpg
    1st OEsmall.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 840
  • 1st OEsmall.jpg
    1st OEsmall.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 829

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Would that be Hippie Presbyterians or Presbyterian Hippies?
Anyway, would they have also carved stones into the shape of animals
such as that one of a duck and the other as a rabbit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread