An Excellent example of drill hole signs

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This little beauty is drilled down into a small hump on the rock, then opens into two holes, one vertical and one angled. I believe there are several things to consider with this sign! Ernie has helped me with part of it, the rest I'm still working on.

There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of folks that know, or show much interest in the topic of drill holes but I'd like to keep the lines of discussion open! I'll add a bit more on this one later.

doubledrillhole.jpg

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
This little beauty is drilled down into a small hump on the rock, then opens into two holes, one vertical and one angled. I believe there are several things to consider with this sign! Ernie has helped me with part of it, the rest I'm still working on.

There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of folks that know, or show much interest in the topic of drill holes but I'd like to keep the lines of discussion open! I'll add a bit more on this one later.

doubledrillhole.jpg
Believe me I am interested....just dont have a clue!....Steve

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Yep ! Very interested. Dsty and Clay have posted some great information but I've not had a chance to follow-up on it. Got to do my homework before I can play. Neat double drill holes !

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 645

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJim:
Do you think that big a---- pointer is the confirmation sign for that big a---- drill hole; or visa versa?? :laughing7:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Great Post piledriver, I thought I had seen about all of the different configurations but this takes the cake, I do wish others would post the ones they have seen get involved and really get something started, there's a brand new world out there for treasure hunters to expore. I'll send you a PM. Thank you Clay, and allthe others that do get involved. Thanks Steve hope you are safe and back home

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Ernie, and I certainly also thank the others that have shared information! I'm new at following these signs and quite slow at working out the various options for how to interpret them.

What I know about this mark is that the angled hole, if a stick were inserted, seems to point due south, at which I can see a prominent terrain feature. In the reverse, I do need to verify, but there are other interesting terrain features to observe, including a mound with a steep cliff side. I'm still working out access permission for anything beyond what I've already found. I think a set of ridiculously large binoculars might come in handy for following the larger markers when I don't have access to see them up close!

Once I get back to the site and try out a few theories, I may have some other drill hole signs to post! I will say that the relationship of depth and width has given me distance information at another site that seems to have produced a result by taking me to another marker. I'm still working that out and trying to be sure that my assumptions are correct and my result wasn't just coincidence. The other sign isn't recognizeable as a sign till you get to the distance I worked out though!

One sign I found strikes me as conveying a LOT of information but I have yet to figure out exactly WHAT it must be saying! It's 2 feet across and has another smaller hole in the bottom! Contoured on the sides..makes my head hurt! It appears to be one point of a triangle that has sides that do not exceed 75 feet in any direction..I need to spend more time on these sites!

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Shortstack I haven't a clue. This site has me totally confused. So far I've just been trying to get an idea what constituted a sign and locate a bunch. Next up, re-reading the posts on hoyas and drill holes then trying to tie everything together. Jim

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
This is just a theory, me thinking out loud but what seems to work for me is keep everything separate eventho its on the same site, you will find maps that may be a series of dots, series of drill holes, each one is different therefor it has a different meaning file that by its self, then your drill holes, keep them by themselves, dates, numbers, writting, you will find fish, bunny rabbits, diamonds, most are there to confuse, chase you around the mountain, symbols that are dig here symbols, don't believe the hype, first of all you must think outside the box, following drill holes will take you where you need to go. Follow the trail, 95 percent of the time its large to small, deep to shallow, I've never seen a drill hole that didn't have something else with it, some time its small to large, I think its just their way of keeping folks honest but when that happens theres usually a notch ( V ) or something else that shows the direction of travel, post # two is a very good example of drill holes, two that seem the same but only one shows the actual information the one on the left is the one I would follow. Unless its not safe, sometmes they will put a symbol like that leads to a trap. I don't like steep hillsides

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJim:
I took a closer look at this photo and there's several things going on, but the main thing is I now wonder if that big pointer is actually pointing to the sun symbol / shadow figure at the top of the square stone. I didn't mark everything I see; just the more important and strange things. One on the upper right I didn't label. Those 2 owls at the bottom and the possible owl head outline at the top rear of the shadow generator is curious, too.
What'd ya think?

IMG_0749.jpg2-linework Merged.jpg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Shortstack I hadn't noticed the possible A until you pointed it out. Looking at the other things you marked on the original picture (more clarity ) they seem doubtful .Perhaps I should have taken the photo at a different time for the shadows to develop . Rite now I'm taking the simple view . The pointer seems to indicate the notch. There is a wash that is better for climbing out of the area. The drill hole should give a distance . Then I need to locate the next sign. Perhaps too simple but will have to start somewhere. Jim

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Made it out to the pointer rock but due to working 60 to 70 hrs a week have been too tiered to post. Had hoped some shadow sign might show up but the clouds pre-emted that idea. The hole is in a natural fault in the rock and could be natural. It's 20mm deep and slightly oval being 45-50mm wide and 53 mm tall.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 479

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJim,
I adjusted the contrast and lighting a little bit and there are some marks on that large pointer. Two parallel lines and a "7" with a dash mark off of both ends of the linework. Also, is that chipped edge and shadow forming another "7" on the left side of the photo??

IMG_2827.jpg2.jpg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Shortstack - Thanks! Those have been trying to come out in several pictures but I never seem to hit the perfect time . Get there late,have to leave early distracted elswhere, the clouds roll in. Always somethin! Started out compleatly ignorant just taking pictures and trying to find things and the proper time frames. Now I'm stating to try and sort trails, better define the signs and learn to understand them.This area has an extra morning shadow time that starts about 10:00 and an evening one to help sort things . Seems that has added to my confusion as much as it helps. Hadji - hadn't noticed the square. Will have to inspect the area to see if those rocks are are set or floating. Seems a lot of things I thought were signs never turned out to lead me anywhere and some things I was shure were nothing turned out to be signs. Would be long lost without all the good people here on TNET. Jim

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJim:
Thanks and guess I'll go ahead and mark a couple of things I didn't the first time cause they could be just naturals. I marked a dark squared area on that rock in the upper right area and that "might be, could be, what if?" shadow owl in the upper area. That "7" figure SEEMS to have a "v" or possibly an "L" on it's right side of the vertical line. I reproduced it in red in the mask area below the pic so as not to cover the figure with mark up ink. Those 2 straight marks, like an "equals" sign deals with distances. Check Old Dog's posts on signs and symbols. I tried the negative technique and they didn't bring out any more detail; so I didn't post them. In the field, if you could take a tripod with you to take exposures at longer times than you can hold the camera steady. My camera will take auto bracket shots if I set it that way. If you can get your camera to take a second longer shot, the extra saturation MIGHT bring out the detail. This technique can help in a lot of different situations dealing with symbols and signs that are a little or a lot weather worn. If you REALLY want to bring them out, take an IR light with you to shine on the signs and use the tripod method to let the IR come through. Night Shot does basically the same thing.

IMG_2827.jpg2.jpg

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Shortstack & Olddog Good information. Thanks! Have planed some time next month to work on this. Hope the job wont get in the way. Might even get a real weekend off soon. Will take my polarized sun glasses and have a light weight tripod. Jim

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered another light source that could be easier to use an give you better results than an IR light. Lower cost, too. I bought a battery powered "black light" on eBay a couple of years ago. I got it so I could mark up my computer, T.V, VCR, etc. with "disappearing" ink that would show up under UV light. The light is about 6 inches long and uses 2 or 3 AA batteries. Works like a charm. I'd almost bet that a UV light would bring out enough detail to photograph. Whether it brings out the marks OR the background. Either way, I would expect it to improve the "viewability" of the symbols. UV lights are also used for mineral prospecting.........never know. One more point; at night, snakes show up as light green sticks. LOL I think I paid about $15 for the light, ink marker, and shipping.
It is a cheap light, but it does work.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Have seen the long and short wave lights. Those with the light emitting diodes are quite powerfull and batteries last well. Dont know how the camera will react with infrared .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread