A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
There was that treasure found in southern Arizona that was written about in a treasure magazine. I think it was 80 pounds of gold. The caches were not buried in the manner you describe. I think they were also buried pretty shallow.
As I recall that was back in the 70s and even then it was still not on tv.

In the modern Internet era from 2000 on it would seem that these treasures are forbidden to be on TV.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Brewer has done some shows but he never finds anything. There have been treasure hunts shown on tv but nobody ever finds anything as dramatic as a vault.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yes people are usually smart enough not to show off what they have found, however I would not say the same for a tv producer who would exploit anybody in order to get good ratings, so the question is what keeps the tv people from having a show on vault treasure hunting right here in the USA?

In order to have a show, they need somebody who can find a vault and somebody who knows how to do that, probably isn’t going to show his techniques to everybody in the world.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Sandy, if you ever did a show that led to an empty vault, I promise I will watch it.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I will ad a bit of light on my question, in order to even start digging on a suspected treasure vault a treasure trove permit must be issued from the state you are in and once something is spotted while digging the Archaeologists are required to be onsite and take over the dig at that point.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I won't lie I have considered it.

If you would take a tv crew into the field and show us how one thing leads to another, you wouldn’t even have to show a vault. Looking at an organized layout, with a little history, would be better than what anybody else has done. It would be legal too. Why would any government official care if you made a tv show describing the placement of a bunch of rocks.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an interesting observation about these vault treasures, there are many TV shows on ancient treasure storages such as the Oak Island treasure the SJ cache in South america etc. however you never see a tv show about anything being dug up over 100 years old right here in the united states, I wonder why that is?
We have the Dutchman Treasure and the Caballo's as well as many other famous caches here in the US, so why not any tv shows on these?

I'm guessing most likely because it would be seized immediately, & go through the courts.

I watched an old Pawn Stars re-run recently; Episode: 249 Original Air Date: 06-14-10.
A guy had a gold bar that he said was from his Grandmother's estate. They never
stated the weight, & the most visible markings they showed were 2- XX , which
their expert they called in said was the maker's declaration of 20 karat purity,
while they said it appeared more like 24K . Anyway, it was supposedly from
a 16th century Spanish fleet shipwreck, apparently off the coast of Texas.
There was some small area in creases that appeared to be coral, & so it
was accepted as treasure recovered from the 1554 Spanish shipwreck.

It was appraised as 2X melt value (which was 48K), & the pawn shop
after negotiating, bought for 35K cash, (current gold price was 1,117).
So I wonder how the laws vary for gold recovered from the ocean. It
seems there wasn't any issue with them buying, & it being televised.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched that same show Crosse they told Rick it came out of a trunk in and attic that the Grandpa had that's all you need to say, what the tough part is finding them gold bars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing most likely because it would be seized immediately, & go through the courts.

I watched an old Pawn Stars re-run recently; Episode: 249 Original Air Date: 06-14-10.
A guy had a gold bar that he said was from his Grandmother's estate. They never
stated the weight, & the most visible markings they showed were 2- XX , which
their expert they called in said was the maker's declaration of 20 karat purity,
while they said it appeared more like 24K . Anyway, it was supposedly from
a 16th century Spanish fleet shipwreck, apparently off the coast of Texas.
There was some small area in creases that appeared to be coral, & so it
was accepted as treasure recovered from the 1554 Spanish shipwreck.

It was appraised as 2X melt value (which was 48K), & the pawn shop
after negotiating, bought it for 35K cash. That's all that was discussed.
So I wonder how the laws vary for gold recovered from the oceans. It
seems there was not any issue with them buying, & it being televised.

Yeah its not illegal to own a Spanish Gold Bar its just illegal to dig one up, which is why I am able to show the one in my avatar.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you this about a treasure trove permit and IF you can get thru all the hurdles it will be almost a year before you can even do anything and you have to put up a bond and the area has to look just like it did when you started and that is all at the cops I mean the rangers discretion.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you this about a treasure trove permit and IF you can get thru all the hurdles it will be almost a year before you can even do anything and you have to put up a bond and the area has to look just like it did when you started and that is all at the cops I mean the rangers discretion.

Sounds pretty uncertain, after you'd have given all of your info.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds pretty uncertain, after you'd have given all of your info.

Its a giant gamble one little thing can change the permit, and they can pull it at any time there is absolutely no guarantee its all at there judgment.And yes they have all your info almost down to your blood type it is ridiculous. That is why sandy1 is saying were do you see a person pulling a permit in the USA people would rather take the risk. But enough of this talk i will worry about it when i find them gold bars and they are out there.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I said treat them like a mushroom.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There was that treasure found in southern Arizona that was written about in a treasure magazine. I think it was 80 pounds of gold. The caches were not buried in the manner you describe. I think they were also buried pretty shallow.

It was buried by a Mexican rancher who wanted to keep it out of harm's way during the Revolution in the early 1900s. He used a Mayan numerical code and geometrical layout of some sort as I recall.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This sounds like the treasure story I read about in a treasure magazine. I still have the book. If this is the one you mention, up on a hill they found the Mayan numbers consisting of dots ( or holes punched in the rock ) in two or three lines, plus a cross carved in the rock. One of the men figured it out mathematically. The bars were laid out around the hill in such a way that they were close to the parts of the cross which was laid out by feet and inches.
I still have the magazine and will take time to find it as I have a large stack of them. Would take a picture of same but someone else would have to post it for me as I do not find the way to post at this time. At one time it was no problem but now I can't hit the right button.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a giant gamble one little thing can change the permit, and they can pull it at any time there is absolutely no guarantee its all at there judgment.And yes they have all your info almost down to your blood type it is ridiculous. That is why sandy1 is saying were do you see a person pulling a permit in the USA people would rather take the risk. But enough of this talk i will worry about it when i find them gold bars and they are out there.

This was a real deal - maybe a true Civil War era cache, or possibly a later KGC site, as the first telling occurred in the 1930s. Regardless, here's what happens when you follow the rules like a trained zoo monkey. Get the picture?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandy1 wanted to show 2 photos of a hoyo i took and how important it is to stand in the right place when you look at it to the folks out there who are wanting to learn. Your position is very important these 2 photos the angle was adjusted just a little bit and it makes a huge difference. View attachment 1662393 View attachment 1662394

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread