oklahoma rock icon

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Monk, ya may have something on tha Left ear as a pointer also. Notice how much larger it appears than the near side right ear. Also it is "up" not down like the right one. Usually when a dog raises it's ears, both go up at the same time, ya know? Usually, the nose does point the way, but in this case, the Spaniard could have been sly enough to have used the ear as a waybill. I would love to check in all directions. ;D Comanchero

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
On second thought. That "bent" right ear with the line on it might just happen to mean something also. Like I said, I would like to visit the site, and go from there. ;D Comanchero

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Mark, you are right that we should see the rock before coming to any conclusions. However, the pick Johnny has posted looks old and I think you are wrong about any modern day gringos using the word "ORO" for anything, including a favorite racing greyhound. If you think it's a gravemarker for a dog, just dig in front of it to see if any dog bones are there??? :D Comanchero

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Johnny, is there any way that you can post a Color picture of this carving?? Black and white leaves a lot to be desired. And like I said, just a very general location would be a help. ;D Comanchero

F

Floater

Ladies And Gentleman Johnny has left the building. LOL well it wouldnt be the first time someone has gotten the info and never came back.We shall see if Johnny shows up again. Great story so far though.

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Floater, with the weather now getting so good, if I were Johnny, I'd be out at that site doing everything I could to figure out where that gold is~wouldn't you??!!! ;D As a matter of fact the more I think about it, if that carving is in the right area, that dogs head could have several "waybills" on it. I.E., directions to several locations of gold! :D What a trip that would be, EH??
So how's HURRICANE ALLEY doing? ;D Comanchero

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Oh, by the way, I just noticed for some reason that on Johnny's original post, he said that he "had a friend in Oklahoma" that had located this artifact. That implies that he does not live there himself. Well, we'll "grill him" if and when he gets back! LOL ;D Comanchero

OP
OP
J

johnny

Comanchero said:
Oh, by the way, I just noticed for some reason that on Johnny's original post, he said that he "had a friend in Oklahoma" that had located this artifact.? That implies that he does not live there himself.? Well, we'll "grill him" if and when he gets back! LOL? ;D? Comanchero

Comanchero,

Thanks for noticing the location difference in my original post. I live in Florida and my buddy in Oklahoma.
I respect and will protect his privacy. The picture looks old because I enhanced it in b&w. It appeared very aged when discovered and my buddy tried to improve the contrast of the carving without damaging it. The white long object in the lower left corner is a 6" plastic ruler to show dimension of the carving. We have talked about this find a lot and the grave marker idea has been tossed about. I proposed the dog's color was golden hence the name "oro". The problem with the grave idea is simply this, the carving is on top of a bolder the size of a house. If a dogs grave was dug and marked, they would have needed a jack hammer and blasting power.

I appreciate the input and will disclose this much to help with the specific area, but understand I can only say so much as to not endanger my buddies privacy. The icon was found by accident while on a routine hike in the rough. It is located very close to the santa fe trail in eastern Oklahoma. At one time a bulldozer was used to excavate around the icon and later I understand radar and mag's were used from a plane. I was told the plane's mags did indeed discover some "targets", but because of lack of funding not much more was done. The area is deep in private and protected land.

I was hoping somebody in the past had possibly discovered a find and was lead there by a similiar "dog" icon. It makes sense that the same marker could be used elsewhere. I hope to visit sometime when the weather is good. The area is rough and I understand lots of snakes.
No I have not bailed-ha!
Again thanks for the input from all of you.

Johnny

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Johnny- Hope you haven't left.
? I think I have seen this phot about 7-8 months ago. Maybe on Kryder site? well, here's what I saw, I know I am crazy but, here goes.
Here there are two hearts, htat's also a dogs face and neck, lots of writting,couldn't make out too much but the two EE's

Here's a picture P.S. where hte thip of arrow is could be a "G" with the tip as the cross bar of "G" and maybe tow horseshoes next to it.

? ?Jacko

Attachments

• dog.gif
    dog.gif
    43.7 KB · Views: 839
OP
OP
J

johnny

JACKO said:
Johnny- Hope you haven't left.
? I think I have seen this phot about 7-8 months ago. Maybe on Kryder site? well, here's what I saw, I know I am crazy but, here goes.
Here there are two hearts, htat's also a dogs face and neck, lots of writting,couldn't make out too much but the two EE's

Here's a picture? ? P.S. where hte thip of arrow is could be a "G" with the tip as the cross bar of "G" and maybe tow horseshoes next to it.

? ?Jacko

Jacko,

I too thought I could see other markings around the dog.? I asked my buddy about them and he seemed to
remember seeing nothing around the dog's face except the word "oro"!
I talked with him the other nite and he's a little "bumed" over the whole deal.? As you and others can imagine, I would like to pay a visit to the site and see for myself.? I think a deep seeker would be in order.? Maybe the treasure (if it has not been recovered) is not deep, but probably is larger than a coin or similar.
He is on a limited buget and I'm on a little less limited budget-ha!? This could assist the hunt.

All of you are great and I'm really enjoying the input.? Its a great hobby and makes one think.?

How about I add something of interest not related to the "dog" carving.? In late 1965 or early 66, I was lead to an old (15-16 hundreds) spanish fort in Florida by a friend.? We keep dropping down into holes in the floors
(cave ins) until the oxygen got low.? Very few know of this place because it is on restricted goverment land and heavily guarded. I found a tunnel and followed it until I became concerned about my well being, if you know what I mean.? I and another t/h attempted to enter the site with m/d's but the trip was called off due to family matters.? What I and I'm sure most of you wouldn't give to explore that place.? I read in many books that the pirates of old many times used the old Spanish forts as hidouts and hide loot there.

Gots to go!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Johnny, certainly understand respecting one's privacy, as I like mine too! Thanks for the input, I am sure more than ever now that you can forget about a "coin". That is a placer or lode waybill in Eastern OK. No doubt. I don't care about snakes, spiders and such. Just take proper precautions and keep your eyes and ears open at all times, like ya should anywhere, anytime.
The private property bit could be annoying, but probably not a problem at all. I have found that with the proper and right attitude that just about anything can be accomplished and even the most stubborn of people can be approached by a good honest and forthright person and made welcome. ;D Comanchero

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Johnny, sounds like you have your summer cut out for you. Best of luck and let us know if we can help. We understand your wanting to keep your privacy. HH

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The dog is really artistic. The lost Cherokee gold mountain was rumored to be found in early Oklahoma
history. One of the things I remember was that the finders were supposed to have left some type of markings. Supposedly there were large Gold nuggets there. Being from Oklahoma And having dug on the O.U. archeology team I always found nuggets in Oklahoma suspicious, but I've looked foolish before.Hope your on to it.

Wild Boulder

OP
OP
J

johnny

Wild Boulder Bill said:
The dog is really artistic. The lost Cherokee gold mountain was rumored to be found in early Oklahoma
history. One of the things I remember was that the finders were supposed to have left some type of markings. Supposedly there were large Gold nuggets there. Being from Oklahoma And having dug on the O.U. archeology team I always found nuggets in Oklahoma suspicious, but I've looked foolish before.Hope your on to it.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wild Boulder
Wild Boulder,
Thanks for the input. As my earlier posts revealed, I am in a different state and cannot check out the area like I would like to. I agree, the icon looks almost "too cute". That makes me wonder. Anything new I will post for all to look at.

Johnny

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Yes Johnny, we would appreciate your keeping us updated on this one. At least I would. I have a good strong "hunch" and feeling that this is a genuine waybill to gold in a most favorable area. ;D Comanchero

N

nitrogold

Johnny,

I don't see the greyhound at all. It looks like a Chihuahua to me.

nitrogold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread