Is It my eyes or is there somthing here?

R

Rich

Attachments

• celler spring 04 2.JPG
    celler spring 04 2.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,179
K

Kentucky Kache

Looks like you have something there. I don't know what it means, but I would be sure and check all other trees and rocks in the area. Also find out who lived there, in relation to the age of the tree.
Keep us posted.

OP
OP
R

Rich

well thanks for the reply,
Well the area this is pretty much "The Westonia" which they speak of in Drum's Along The Mohawk,Or "Last Of The Mohegans",which is a county away from Albany County "Capital of N.Y.",The area dates back to the 1500's or early 1600's as mentioned in my local history books.
That pic is from a area near a historic landmark,The house in front of the Celle which the tree is near is circa 1736 "noone is sure when in the 1730's it was made",also near it the "Albany Pat." was Signed which involved the Indian Tribes.....-that was just a short background-..lol.

But also there were 2 sisters who use to live in the old celler near this tree,they had no children and they were from a very very predominate family in N.Y. aswell as America's Colonial history.
We have pulled musket balls aswell as a very rare bottle "but from the 1850's"which 4 or 5 exist,and the usual finds from that time peroid "1700's",
but other than that this pic is the only thing to go on if theres a cache or if it's a Indian symbol for a trail or whatever it is..
Ill blow the pic up,.... hope somone figures out what it is...

OP
OP
R

Rich

heres a sorta blow up of the tree,...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,232
OP
OP
R

Rich

now heres what i think i see,...

anyone else see anything in any of the pic's?,....opinions?.... ???

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,209

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yeah i see it too. can you estimate the trees age? if the markings are spanish or indian in origin the tree should be huge considering it could be 200+ years old.

OP
OP
R

Rich

The tree im not sure of an age,but the area is mostly Dutch in origin,also French,British, 5 differnt Indian Tribes/nations have been through this part of the country and also the celler and house that dates circa 1730's is Dutch "theres even old gun ports "rifle's not cannon" that are on the old house that stands to this day,just incase of a Indian Rading party in those days",
.....also its about half a mile from the Old Eerie canal lock7,......

besides that i know of no spanish or spanish coins found near this celler even though the Spanish Pillar/cobs/etc etc coins are found around the county im in....you will find a old english copper than a cob,......

but i gotta get up there again to take alook see,...also gotta show a friend this post...
thanks

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
at any rate its a cool find. thanks for posting it!

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Rich, Hollowpointred is right.? Before ya go speculatin' too much and blowin' yer britches off, you really need to core that tree and see how old it is to start with.? Don't look all that old to me.
Yep, I see the markin's clearly. Ya did a good job on the pics.? But, it don't mean nuthin' without the aging of the tree.? Also, I would get an expert to tell me how long ago that was cut into the tree (that can be done believe it or not) if you are really gonna pursue this. ;D? Comanchero

OP
OP
R

Rich

hey thanks all for replying,...
I have to ask the owner for permission to hunt/detect again since its in his back yard...

But I can say for sure that tree is atleat 120 to 150 yrs old,also in the pics i posted the tree doesnt show height,this is the only part of america where this type of tree grow's even though it looks like a ordinary pine/maple tree,its not......
and some of the trees like this have been dated "some are much smaller than this one since these are a canopy type of tree and height is another way of dating besides cutting and counting the rings which is illegal due to the Evirop protection act,...but it is on land a person owns ,he can cut it down though" and they date 300yrs +....

so if that helps......or if anyone else know what it is on the tree or see somthing,......... :)

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Well Rich, good luck on it. I know that as a kid, I and a lot of other boys my age would whittle on just about any tree in reach! That was 50 years ago, and I have only seen a few of the ones I did back then recently when I went out to the old family ranch and they look real neat now. Didn't mean nothing of course. Just birds, squirrels, initials, etc., anything our young minds could think up to whittle into the bark. Did on Live Oak, Post Oak, Pecan, Persimmon and many other trees all the time! ;D

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Rich-- I have lightened your pictures up and here's what I see. You have a lot more to this tree than just those markings you posted. Check the other side also, and take some pictures of the ground around tree. Good Luck

I have pointed to areas that have signs other than what you showed !!!

jacko

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,136
OP
OP
R

Rich

JACKO said:
Rich-- I have lightened your pictures up and here's what I see. You have a lot more to this tree than just those markings you posted. Check the other side also, and take some pictures of the ground around tree.? Good Luck

I have pointed to areas that have signs other than what you showed !!!

? ?jacko

Hey,
Now what do you see that your pointing out?....give me a few descriptions on what you think they are,so it would be worth my time trekin to this place...
but i also noticed afew things you did point out on the lower right hand side of the tree!,i would like to know what anyone see's!...
i might head to the place today or not,.....not sure yet... ::)

also any other tales from around Schenectady County?......

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Rich with out having to blow up the pictue, I can see a shield and in that is a cross, and you have at least three crosses total maybe four. Pus a another heart and I can't think of the rest now. I have a Prospectors meeting tonight. So, I'll have to look at piture tomorrow evening.
Next pictures post only one in a frame, so we can see them better. If you would go back and post only one of the dark pictures by itself, that would really help. Also, don't forget to take pictures of the ground, don't ask why now, but try it, I saw some markings beside the tree.

Jacko

OP
OP
R

Rich

thx for the reply,...

The thing next to the tree is a old brick,which me or another person tossed aside while diggn,....

I think i have decrypted what the cross and the number 2 thats next to the cross...

It all sums up if you really look that the cross and numbers coralate to the old celler hole,and a number of trees that incircle it.......

not only is there a 2 but there is a 3 and also a mark that points to a letter "C"......

im pretty sure why you want pics of the area,to look for other markers or things that may be useful to figure out what im trin to decipher......

but im going to the place in the VERY near future,but i also need to have a friend who showed me the place to go along with me,....kinda a 40/60% split--60% meaing- 60% of whatever or if anything is there,and me id get 40%,since he's the one who found the spot in the first place.......

But a question----
Now other than Spanish markers and western Indian Tribes "Cali,New Mex etc etc",what markers are there for the eastern US especialy the north east us,Since there were no spanish settlers here Im sure if they made markers here it would be French,or Dutch,or maybe even English...also there was 5 Indian Tribes/nations who clamed this part of land/territory before the Whiteman,......so im not sure how to go about to start to research sybolism/markings.....any help?,web sites etc etc?

Also thanks for sayin to check the area,i have another pic of when we hit that spot up,and thats where the other trees come into play.,.....

1 more question about markers----- what are the common type of tree/tree limb markers "when the tree is young they would bend tree limbs to a certin shape or pointing to a area etc etc"..i think youll know what im tryin to say,this subject facinates me though,even though there might not be a buired or hidden cache/treasure/whatever ya want to call it.....

any other leads for NY state "eastern",or a web site?...book?....

thanks,
Ill keep all informed./

OP
OP
R

Rich

Hey,
here is another pic of the day we went and hunted the celler,now the tree with the markings is the tree to the right of the pic,i havent gotten time to seriously sit down and see if theres markings on any of the trees in this pic,...

but if you take the tree in this pic it would be "3" on the first pic which is next to the "cross" with the "2" next to it,also in the pic "uncompressed,non upload" theres a "3" right on the lines that are around the "cross" in the middle,.........

my understanding now is that the numbers coralate to the trees around the celler.......

ill try to post a kinda rendition of what im sayin.........but if anything comes to mind when you check out this pic please tell!...
BTW- yup thats me waist high in the old celler,ill post 1 other pic that shows just the celler and whats around it,.....
enjoy

Attachments

• celler2  .JPG
    celler2 .JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,892
OP
OP
R

Rich

well heres one more pic......
also had to resize,since the orig pic is over 1 meg.....

Now this celler is looking over the valley around the city im in......,a nice spot to just take in the sites,.....also notice the tree right in the middle,.......ill blow up that pic in afew......also notice how deep the leaves and years of decay that have fallen into the old celler,yup as it shows you can walk on the leaves down to the celler hole and a few trees have fallen in it that are not that old compared to the ones with marks on them....

enjoy and post comments or if ya see somthing,.......or if you know anything about what these markings could mean.......

i think i have 1 more pic....

Attachments

• cellernear ridge.JPG
    cellernear ridge.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,848
OP
OP
R

Rich

heres the last pic i have,i gotta get up to this place bfore it turns into a virtual jungle!,...but also i need to hit the place up with the person who showed this spot to me,so not only would i have a 2nd opinion on what to do/look for but also dig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,

Notice the arcutecture of the celler,how much slate rock....... also its a med sized celler hole,........but alos a hike to get to this part of the farmers land......up a mountian pretty much!.....

Attachments

• another shot1.JPG
    another shot1.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,823

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread