Jobless man uncovers gold hoard with metal detector?????

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read the same story on Yahoo news. Quite a significant discovery. I wonder if he gets to keep all of it ???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will get whatever the agreement share is with the landowner (generally 50% could be 100% if the landowner agreed).

It will take a least a year & a half for him to get the money (valuation done by committee based on several factors including market value & historical interest) which I believe will be close to £10 Million.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
it said that after value has been determined the hoard will be for sale....doesn't say whether or not the finder gets any of the money

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty-Graw said:
it said that after value has been determined the hoard will be for sale....doesn't say whether or not the finder gets any of the money

The Law (1996 Treasure Act), say he does, assuming the Museums buy it (Which I bet they do). If not its returned to him.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
He just had to tell someone about it.
Newt

He would have been stupid not to.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
CRUSADER said:
Newt said:
Newt

What is the penalty for not turning in "treasure trove" finds? I know it is mandatory to turn them in but just how much trouble do you get into if you decide not to and get caught?

Charlie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
CRUSADER said:
Newt said:
Newt

What is the penalty for not turning in "treasure trove" finds? I know it is mandatory to turn them in but just how much trouble do you get into if you decide not to and get caught?

Charlie

Imprisonment of 3 months or a fine of upto £5000. But very few get this punishment, but you can bet they would for a find of this significance (plus the loss of the objects).

My point was not about being caught, it was that:

This is the most significant find since Sutton-hoo in the 1930s. This will take years to piece together the story it tells us of the heart of the Mercian Kingdom & British history as a whole.
If he kept it (remembering some of these items are unknown to exsist anywhere else), he would have to very slowly drip them into the market. The collectors of these would be risking buying 'stolen' goods. Most collectors would want provenance, what would he say. He would get noticed eventually.

He would also never achieve as much as the final valuation for these (because as a hoard they come with a premium, ie historial importance) & therefore would overall risk too much for less money.

If the deal with the farmer is 50%, I'm going to predict he gets at least £5 Million.

Loads of over reasons why it would be stupid not to allow the Museums to study & display these amazing finds.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:
CRUSADER said:
Newt said:
Newt

Charlie

Imprisonment of 3 months or a fine of upto £5000. But very few get this punishment, but you can bet they would for a find of this significance (plus the loss of the objects).

My point was not about being caught, it was that:

This is the most significant find since Sutton-hoo in the 1930s. This will take years to piece together the story it tells us of the heart of the Mercian Kingdom & British history as a whole.
If he kept it (remembering some of these items are unknown to exsist anywhere else), he would have to very slowly drip them into the market. The collectors of these would be risking buying 'stolen' goods. Most collectors would want provenance, what would he say. He would get noticed eventually.

He would also never achieve as much as the final valuation for these (because as a hoard they come with a premium, ie historial importance) & therefore would overall risk too much for less money.

If the deal with the farmer is 50%, I'm going to predict he gets at least £5 Million.

Loads of over reasons why it would be stupid not to allow the Museums to study & display these amazing finds.

I predict this happening to one of us at the weekend :icon_thumleft: :D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I agree Cru, I think it is a good law that you guys have over there. It seems to be fair to everyone and preserves history. I just know that there are people out there who are greedy and want it all. The only thing I don't like about it is how long it takes to get paid if you do find something like this guy did. They should push things like this to the head of the line so to speak. For me that would be like winning the lotto and not getting to cash in the ticket for a year and a half. Obviously this guy could use the money now.

Charlie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
I agree Cru, I think it is a good law that you guys have over there. It seems to be fair to everyone and preserves history. I just know that there are people out there who are greedy and want it all. The only thing I don't like about it is how long it takes to get paid if you do find something like this guy did. They should push things like this to the head of the line so to speak. For me that would be like winning the lotto and not getting to cash in the ticket for a year and a half. Obviously this guy could use the money now.

Charlie

I believe this has already been speeded up. However, can you imagine how long the Museum Report will take, many pages & 100s of hours of research.
But generally I totally agree, they have guidelines of paying/handing back after 1 year. They can't cope & just about make it in 2. I too find this unacceptable. I have to hand in within 14 days they should keep to there side of the bargain.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:

Charlie

I believe this has already been speeded up. However, can you imagine how long the Museum Report will take, many pages & 100s of hours of research.
But generally I totally agree, they have guidelines of paying/handing back after 1 year. They can't cope & just about make it in 2. I too find this unacceptable. I have to hand in within 14 days they should keep to there side of the bargain.

Do they have a website where they (the govt) post updates or finished finds?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:

Charlie

Do they have a website where they (the govt) post updates or finished finds?
Not with a find like this but this is pretty close:
http://www.finds.org.uk/

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always knew that my job is holding me back...lol.

NJ

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I dont know 'bout the rest of ya but my immediate thought when I read this was : OMG Cru' hit the Mother Load !!!! : :icon_thumright:

To bad it was you brotha !

D.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
Well I dont know 'bout the rest of ya but my immediate thought when I read this was : OMG Cru' hit the Mother Load !!!! : :icon_thumright:

D.

You would here in 'today's finds' on the day. I have 14 days to report it, so they would come second best.

Seriously, I'm not that good or lucky. Just persistant. I'm only a little above average, its the team that makes the impact.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
Derek752 said:

D.

You would here in 'today's finds' on the day. I have 14 days to report it, so they would come second best.

Seriously, I'm not that good or lucky. Just persistant. I'm only a little above average, its the team that makes the impact.

What a big fat lie :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread