Jobless man uncovers gold hoard with metal detector?????

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:
CRUSADER said:
Newt said:
He just had to tell someone about it.
Newt

He would have been stupid not to.

What is the penalty for not turning in "treasure trove" finds? I know it is mandatory to turn them in but just how much trouble do you get into if you decide not to and get caught?

Charlie

Imprisonment of 3 months or a fine of upto £5000. But very few get this punishment, but you can bet they would for a find of this significance (plus the loss of the objects).

My point was not about being caught, it was that:

This is the most significant find since Sutton-hoo in the 1930s. This will take years to piece together the story it tells us of the heart of the Mercian Kingdom & British history as a whole.
If he kept it (remembering some of these items are unknown to exsist anywhere else), he would have to very slowly drip them into the market. The collectors of these would be risking buying 'stolen' goods. Most collectors would want provenance, what would he say. He would get noticed eventually.

He would also never achieve as much as the final valuation for these (because as a hoard they come with a premium, ie historial importance) & therefore would overall risk too much for less money.

If the deal with the farmer is 50%, I'm going to predict he gets at least £5 Million.

Loads of over reasons why it would be stupid not to allow the Museums to study & display these amazing finds.

Over here, the landowner would probably have told the detectorist to get lost(even though it was found on his property). I'm sure this will constitute income also. Maybe, I'm wrong here but it's just my opinion. In the USA, the state it was found in will fight tooth and nail to take it ALL. Ask Mel Fisher. He died shortly after winning his battle with Florida.

Newt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:
CRUSADER said:
Newt said:
He just had to tell someone about it.
Newt

He would have been stupid not to.

What is the penalty for not turning in "treasure trove" finds? I know it is mandatory to turn them in but just how much trouble do you get into if you decide not to and get caught?

Charlie

Imprisonment of 3 months or a fine of upto £5000. But very few get this punishment, but you can bet they would for a find of this significance (plus the loss of the objects).

My point was not about being caught, it was that:

This is the most significant find since Sutton-hoo in the 1930s. This will take years to piece together the story it tells us of the heart of the Mercian Kingdom & British history as a whole.
If he kept it (remembering some of these items are unknown to exsist anywhere else), he would have to very slowly drip them into the market. The collectors of these would be risking buying 'stolen' goods. Most collectors would want provenance, what would he say. He would get noticed eventually.

He would also never achieve as much as the final valuation for these (because as a hoard they come with a premium, ie historial importance) & therefore would overall risk too much for less money.

If the deal with the farmer is 50%, I'm going to predict he gets at least £5 Million.

Loads of over reasons why it would be stupid not to allow the Museums to study & display these amazing finds.

Over here, the landowner would probably have told the detectorist to get lost(even though it was found on his property). I'm sure this will constitute income also. Maybe, I'm wrong here but it's just my opinion. In the USA, the state it was found in will fight tooth and nail to take it ALL. Ask Mel Fisher. He died shortly after winning his battle with Florida.

Newt

the more I hear, the better I feel about detecting in the UK. It pays to be honest. Personally, I couldn't care less about the money how ever much it is.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
the more I hear, the better I feel about detecting in the UK. It pays to be honest. Personally, I couldn't care less about the money how ever much it is.

Uhh...you would not care about 5 million pounds/dollars??? Come on now with a payday like that you could quit your day job and detect full time. Tell me you wouldn't love that :laughing7:

Charlie

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
From the article on yahoo: "The hoard was officially declared treasure by a coroner, which means it will now be valued by a committee of experts and offered up for sale to a museum. Proceeds would be split 50-50 between Herbert and his farmer friend, who has not been identified. The find's exact location is being kept secret to deter looters."

50-50 split....well worth it in my opinion!!!

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Part of my family is from that area. To me, it is looking at something that relates back to where I came from and my ancestors. I think he did the right thing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:

Uhh...you would not care about 5 million pounds/dollars??? Come on now with a payday like that you could quit your day job and detect full time. Tell me you wouldn't love that :laughing7:

Charlie

My body is struggling to cope with part-time.

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Would you believe it Cru... this lot was found not 2 miles from where I was detecting in April/May! Time to get the cobwebs off the Garrett and get back out there, methinks!!!!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:

Charlie

My body is struggling to cope with part-time.

Yeah but think how much better you would feel not having to go to work. You could probably even hire Shaun7 to be your assistant, LOL.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hooray for him and the farm owner !!! it warms my heart to hear that a poor working class type stiff finally catches a break --a 10 million pound british hoard is about 16 million USD --about 8 million each ( minus a huge amounts of "offical" taxes of course ) but it should still leave a couple million each for them to get by on .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
hooray for him and the farm owner !!! it warms my heart to hear that a poor working class type stiff finally catches a break --a 10 million pound british hoard is about 16 million USD --about 8 million each ( minus a huge amounts of "offical" taxes of course ) but it should still leave a couple million each for them to get by on .

Sorry this is only my prediction. The papers said £1m +, I think this is way off. It will be a year before we know for sure.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Derek752 said:
Well I dont know 'bout the rest of ya but my immediate thought when I read this was : OMG Cru' hit the Mother Load !!!! : :icon_thumright:

To bad it was you brotha !

D.

Seriously, I'm not that good or lucky. Just persistant.

Damn you're just like that black fly on my shoulder the other day! ;D

UK Stan

Greenie
Mar 9, 2009
CRUSADER said:
ivan salis said:

Sorry this is only my prediction. The papers said £1m +, I think this is way off. It will be a year before we know for sure.

Agreed. This will reach record levels. £17.5 million + and counting. This dig has never been seen before in the UK, this is absolutely massive. Anglo-Saxon finds from probably AC675 to 725. Multiply by 1500 pieces, covered in heavy gold and silver.

No doubt it will eventually go to auction, an Arab sheik with the right bid will have a 'field day'.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UK Stan said:
CRUSADER said:
ivan salis said:

Agreed. This will reach record levels. £17.5 million + and counting. This dig has never been seen before in the UK, this is absolutely massive. Anglo-Saxon finds from probably AC675 to 725. Multiply by 1500 pieces, covered in heavy gold and silver.

No doubt it will eventually go to auction, an Arab sheik with the right bid will have a 'field day'.

yeah hard to put a figure on, its pretty much priceless. £20m would not surprise me either.

I think the museums will retain it if they can, they will be looking for wealthy benefactors as we speak.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gilgar said:
What a great find, I saw that this morning and first thing I did was check Tnet thinking for sure it was one of you guys.

I'd have to agree here, you guys have already dug up half of the UK from what I've seen on your posts

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_UK said:
Would you believe it Cru... this lot was found not 2 miles from where I was detecting in April/May! Time to get the cobwebs off the Garrett and get back out there, methinks!!!!
Just over the fence from me Steve! You close by then?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
gilgar said:
What a great find, I saw that this morning and first thing I did was check Tnet thinking for sure it was one of you guys.

I'd have to agree here, you guys have already dug up half of the UK from what I've seen on your posts

No only a tiny fraction.

S

stefen

From watching the video, it appears that the finds were within 6 to 8 inches of the surface. I'm suprised that the farmers plow didn't churn the finds to the surface...or spread them over several acres.

What else can be said that hasn't already been voiced. :coffee2:

Pardon me while I contact the airport...need crusaders telephone number...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread