Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untitled.jpg

These 1,427 Liberty head coins were minted between 1855 and 1894, and were actually discovered a year ago in eight canisters dotting the couple’s Northern California property. The 19th century coinage has since been authenticated by Kagin’s, a California-based agency that authenticates U.S. currency, and the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). Next week, a sampling of the coins will go on display at the American Numismatic Association National (ANA) Money Show in Atlanta. The Crazy True History of the Saddle Ridge Gold Coins

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my best finds are eye ball finds. Detectors will lie to you.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff - this topic is so HOT and there are so many threads by so many people Would not it make sense to combine them all under one topic , There is so much info being passed and its confusing to follow switching back and forth Thanks Just a suggestion

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lets not forget the 1906 earthquake, give me sometime and ill look see what i can find on
marin county tiburon ca., and Walter Dimmick, the earthquake may through a wrench in
the mashable theory

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, i dont think the SR hoard coins, was the hoard of Demmick
he would have stood out in tiburon, unless maybe on business
for the bank, from the altered dimensions link, it is thought the theft
happened over a yr and 1/2, and with the security, the coin would
have had, to been taken 4-8 coin a work day, i would think WD, would
have taken only the max coin IE: 20$ , WD had time to go look for coin
so if these were his im sure he would have went back after them,unless
the landscape changed and he couldnt find the spot again after the quake
i havent found an obit for WD yet
earthquakes and floods....
earthquakes in tiburon, not right in, but close enough to cause shake
and there is a 153 count Floods, so some heavy rain, between the 2
types of events over the yrs, is prob why the coin started showing
still trying to find a good early map for area, 1890-1900

info found on Walter N. Demmick.......
because of the 1906 earthquake/SF, and a fire at the building in dc
some records were lost, but i did find this on W.D. havent found
a record after the 1910 date yet
DIMMICK, WALTER N (1910 U.S. Census)
CALIFORNIA , ALAMEDA, OAKLAND TWP
Series: T624 Roll: 72 Page: 151

At 46 years old, Walter Dimmick began to serve his time (almost seven years of hard labor) at
the San Quentin prison in California. The 1,500 gold coins were never found
H.I.P. Pocket Change? Web Site - The United States Mint at San Francisco

info on robbery and WD
http://altereddimensions.net/2014/saddle-ridge-hoard-couple-discovers-10-million-old-1890-
gold-coins-buried-backyard-mint-theft

His company took what became known as the "Saddle Ridge Hoard" to an independent coin
-grading service, which found that it was comprised of nearly 1,400 $20 gold pieces, 50 $10
gold pieces and four $5 gold pieces. One of the coins, a so-called 1866-S No Motto Double
Eagle, is said to be valued at $1 million on its own.
forgot link,news article i think
-----------------
info on marin county Tiburon ca
Historical Earthquake Events
lat long refrence....... 37.892466,-122.471174.... http://goo.gl/maps/rdfr9
http://www.usa.com/belvedere-tiburon-ca-natural-disasters-extremes.htm#HistoricalEarthquake
Flood
http://www.usa.com/belvedere-tiburon-ca-natural-disasters-extremes.htm#OtherWeatherExtremes
http://www.usa.com/belvedere-tiburon-ca-natural-disasters-extremes.htm

In the early 1900s, Tiburon was a blue-collar railroad town, with cargo trains running daily.
One of the railroad's "most famous deliveries" was Al Capone, who was carried by train to
Alcatraz in 1934. Belvedere, meanwhile, once hosted the ever-pungent McCollam Fish Factory.
no link i think it was a trail map site

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 952101 These 1,427 Liberty head coins were minted between 1855 and 1894, and were actually discovered a year ago in eight canisters dotting the couple’s Northern California property. The 19th century coinage has since been authenticated by Kagin’s, a California-based agency that authenticates U.S. currency, and the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). Next week, a sampling of the coins will go on display at the American Numismatic Association National (ANA) Money Show in Atlanta. The Crazy True History of the Saddle Ridge Gold Coins

By going public with these gold coins. There's a good chance there will be claims made on them. I just don't understand why people who make a find lie this.Feel the need to tell the whole world about it. A simple bit of research, and a person will know where the site is they were found. There will be night hunters out.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it certainly sounds logical to me that the coins were from the mint theft. Also Mr. Dimmick could certainly have had someone else in cahoots who buried the coins where they were found. Perhaps he had a close friend or relative near where or actually at the location they were found. Where else would so many mint gold coins have come from? The time frame certainly appears to match. It is a shame that the finders went public with the hoard, they certainly would have been better off selling one here and one there, but perhaps they are elderly and didn't think they had time to do so. I know of a couple of smaller caches of gold coins, and the finders cashed in slowly with nobody being the wiser. These poor folks are getting hit with big tax problems, and there may be ownership queries or other problems they will face.

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i think the double post deleted, i hope LOL
WD lived to age 73, so i still think the SB hoard is not the Dimmick hoard i think he would have went and got the goods,and moved from alameda co. im going to see if i can find his addy in oakland, as i think he would hide his coin closer to home, he prob spent most or all of it though
Dimmick Walter N deceased at age 73, 1930 in alameda county, ca
in the catalog is a pg that #s counties alameda is #60
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-26184-6036-83?cc=1932433&wc=14216747
if that link dont work,...click,Aabel, Arnold-Hetterman, John, plug in pg# 469 https://familysearch.org/search/ima...arch.org/records/waypoint/14216743?cc=1932433
-----------------------------------------------
WALTER N. DIMMICK, , v. JOHN W. TOMPKINS, Warden of the State Prison of the State of California,
at San Quentin. 194 U.S. 540 (24 S.Ct. 780, 48 L.Ed. 1110) WALTER N. DIMMICK, Appt., v. JOHN W. TOMPKINS, Warden of the State Prison of the State of California, at San Quentin. No. 528.
Decided: May 31, 1904.
WALTER N. DIMMICK, , v. JOHN W. TOMPKINS, Warden of the State Prison of the State of California, at San Quentin. | LII / Legal Information Institute
Cases and Points of the Supreme Court of the United States
Gbook Cases and Points of the Supreme Court of the United States - Google Books
if you want to look for more..... ca digital newspaper collection
Decade: 1900-1909
search for dimmick found 379 results. Showing results 1 to 20.
Search ? California Digital Newspaper Collection
Decade: 1910-1919
search for dimmick found 101 results. Showing results 1 to 20
Search ? California Digital Newspaper Collection
California Digital Newspaper Collection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions