$5 million in buried treasure, a deathbed confession and a family war .....

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5 million in buried treasure, a deathbed confession and a family war: How a brother's dying words about a secret stash of gold and silver bullion set his siblings off on a bitter high-profile treasure hunt | Daily Mail Online

The two siblings of a wealthy Manhattan real estate mogul are currently at war with each other in court as they attempt to track down a secret stash of buried gold and silver their brother only told them about right before he died.

Robert Giaimo and Janet Vitale have been on a high-profile treasure for the gold coins and silver bars worth an estimated $4.5 million since 2007 and are still yet to find the collection.

Their brother, Edward Giaimo Jr, who owned 18 properties on the Upper East Side, died at the age of 67 without her disclosing the location, DNA Info are reporting.

Court papers say the 200,000 Troy ounces of silver and 1,000 Krugerrands are either buried at the family's property in Pelham Manor, New York, or in an unknown storage facility.

Robert and Janet were locked in a court battle over documents that could hold the vital clues as to where the treasure is buried.

The battle is just part of a fight over how to split their brother's fortune, which tallies at $48 million.

Robert Giaimo sued his sister in 2008 for not letting him into the Pelham Manor house where Edward and their mother lived.

At the time Janet had just discovered $7 million cash hidden behind a closet in the attic.

She also found $3 million in a safe in the basement.

The money had come from their late brother skimming rent money that had been paid to the family business from the tenants in their many buildings, according to DNA Info.

Janet had taken over the family business before Edward's death.

The siblings are still fighting over what will happen to the $10 million that was found.

Following Edward's death in 2007, Janet claimed Robert had tried to conceal the location of the treasure from her.

'Edward mentioned that there was some gold and silver bars or whatever you want to call them,' Janet said.

'And I was cut off immediately by Robert and he said, 'You don't want to know about that.

'You will go to jail,' so I didn't hear any more about it.

'That was the end of it.'

In 2011 the court determined that documents

Despite an eight-year search, it is still unclear whether they ever found the stash of precious metals.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I guess that's a heck of a problem to have. Go figure!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad to hear this kind of stashing is still going on to this day.
Keep your detectors tuned up and you never know when or where you'll get lucky.

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why fight? You could split the money 4 ways and it would still be enough foryou to live on.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why fight? You could split the money 4 ways and it would still be enough foryou to live on.

A common problem called Greed , the Greedy get Greedier when big money is at stake , but I would be happy with a quarter of 48M ..cheers Mick

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say Give me 2 Mill. & I'll bow out the fight.

that would pay the taxes & give me a Mill for my pocket.

Would be really payback if the Brothers Dying words were pure B.S.
because he knew how greedy they really were :laughing7:
and that he blew it all on gambling & less then cheap women :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
A common problem called Greed , the Greedy get Greedier when big money is at stake , but I would be happy with a quarter of 48M ..cheers Mick

When my father in law passed intestate you should have seen the infighting, the "he wanted me to have", "that supposed to be mine" and the flat out gimme...
The lawyer scramble as we attempted to have just one lawyer take care of the estate and not give more the the government than necessary, close to 3 years to took for the dust to settle and many an argument!!!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say Give me 2 Mill. & I'll bow out the fight.

that would pay the taxes & give me a Mill for my pocket.

Would be really payback if the Brothers Dying words were pure B.S.
because he knew how greedy they really were :laughing7:
and that he blew it all on gambling & less then cheap women :thumbsup:

Lol I was thinking the same exact thing, maybe a way to get revenge on them for being greedy turds.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions