Found gold & diamonds, now need to know how to sell it?

D

DWaterz79

Found gold & diamonds, now need to know how to sell it?

Does anyone know who I could sell gold and diamonds to, maybe a museum? Found it all in an abandonded gold mine. The gold weighed in at about 2 1/2 lbs. and also found a 1.3 carat diamond according to the gemoligist I took it to. I just wanna know how much gold sells for these days? And diamonds?

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Re: Found gold & diamonds, now need to know how to sell it?

Not sure about the diamond, but the current rate on gold is $426.30/oz. At 2.5 lbs that would be 40oz, $17,052.00. I'm going hunting with you next time!

HH

OP
OP
D

DWaterz79

OMG!!! over 400$ an oz. I gotta go back! The gold was just a big chunk embedded into the lower part of the wall in the mine about 315 feet from the entrance, and the diamond was found above the mine, about 6 inches down.

F

Floater

OK I know I'm gullible but how do you know its gold and how did you happen across the diamond and if you this the vein is that large you better find out who owns the land and make sure there are no other active claims on the property. With all that said If the chunk as you describe is that large how did you find it. Are you metal detecting or sluicing or panning or just stumbling in the dark. I am really interested in this story and would like to here some more. Don't disclose the Location but give us some More info on the how and why.Thanks and if it's real Great find and Good Luck.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004

Floater,
I have the same questions as you, and suspect it's that mystical dousing method that boggles my mind.

GB

F

Floater

It's a great start to a great story but lets get some facts is all i,m looking for. I hope it's real. Besides the find he probably would make a great guest on Oprah and make some real money.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

There is a little ticker that gives the going rate for gold on the main page of this site, just in case you want to keeps tabs on it. ?Throw some pictures up of what you got!

Dudes

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pitures ??

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005

It's easy to come up with the price of pure .999 gold (refined/smelted and stamped, wafered or coined, or whatever) since gold is gold. But you may be talking about gold in some other form and you are not being clear.

If it is gold ore, no matter whether the source is placer or lode, and no matter how pure it looks, it won't be pure, since it will have some quartz or ferrous or other metals present, such as silver or zinc or platinum, etc and, you would have to get it assayed to know its value. No trouble getting rid of it and any assayer can tell you how. You can even talk to the owners of the nearest gold mine and they will direct you.

What form is the gold in?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona

I am also a gemologist. You don't find diamonds in a gold mine. Not that I've ever seen. Post some photos.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

If I remember right, gold is 12 oz to the lb 'TROY' weight not the 16oz Avoirdupois lb we all so know and love! How big is the chunk, if it's big chunk, it's probably not gold. What's the s.g. of gold 19 point something? It could be that pesky rabbit painting rocks again there Sam!

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004

That amount of gold would be rear to find anywhere..I was wondering ..How deep into this mine did you find that gold...You know maybe it is stolen gold...There are places that where robbed around places like england and london and even here in the USA just recently..Maybe you found a stolen stash waiting to be picked up by the burgalars....I would be very carefull of selling this stuff because places that had it if it was stolen has it DNA-ed "identifiable markings" ect for stealing puposes and dealers will be able to tell if it was a stolen stash..I know I had a friend who worked in a jewlery store for many years.They probably broke it up so it wouldn't be reconised as a piece from a certain place! But then I might be wrong to!

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005

If in fact DZw found a 6lb hunk of gold, we probably won't be hearing from him anytime soon again, I know if I found a strike like that I'd be back where I found it digging. I would have recommended he test it or have is assayed, and stake a claim. If he is nosing around an old Lode mine, he'd better make damn sure it didn't have an active claim on it. Most places that's a "hangin'" offense..

Dang, There is gold in them thar hills still.

I wouldn't probably sell it or if I did I would probably put it on ebay, the ebay gold rusher's pay premiums it seems.

DZ, how about a GPS position??? Check out the BLM LR2000 he he he he .. Make sure you aren't digging someone else's dirt.

can't blame a guy for trying.. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baloney! ::)

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005

Gold specimens sell for way more than spot, somewhere around $1k/oz if over an oz. Shape and character contribute to value also. ;D

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005

Putting a 2-1/2 "Nugget" even with Quartz would be a Hot Item on Ebay.. I agree the specimen price is generally higher then spot. (not sure why) other then novelty.. i recently saw 12 gram nugget for about $600.00 I thought WTF????

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005

The prices of specimen gold are a bit unrealistic it seems to me, especially since that kind of gold is not particularly rare and prices are subject to the whimsy of buyers. I prefer to look for rare gold coins. You know they are not making any more 1855-S double eagles and the price goes up over time for that reason and because of gold prices as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread