How the craze of ‘magnet fishing’ in Britain is dredging up machine guns and more

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
There have been better days for a spot of fishing – and more scenic locations, too.

But as the rain falls on a grey, autumnal morning, I find myself huddled beneath the roar of the A20 flyover in an unlovely corner of Maidstone, Kent, looking out at the nearby Travelodge, a drive-through McDonald’s, the back of the local crown court – and the impenetrable murk of the River Medway.

There’s a gentle splash as my companion, Gareth Bryer, throws his line into the water and gently pulls it taut.

Almost immediately, he gets a ‘bite’ and we both hold our breath as he teases his makeshift apparatus out of the water to reveal our catch: a spark plug, rusty nails and a 5p coin.

<trust me. It gets better. lol>

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6197405/Magnet-fishing-fans-machine-guns-knives-bombs.html

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some neat and some odd items. It's easy to believe there are hidden wonders that people through off the bridges.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That set of coveralls, might be a clue to who threw the weapons in the river - might be a bank robber's guns...!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Fun article , and a different country's perspective.

Best of luck to magnet fishers over there!
Get that jewel laden safe....

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent read but I'd have liked to see the author touch on the importance of proper handling and safety.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin cool this kinda stuff is out there!!!!!!!!!!1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread