Not D.B. Coopers chute!

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Not D.B. Cooper's chute!

VANCOUVER, Wash. - A recently discovered parachute could not have been used by D.B. Cooper in 1971, says the man who packed the four chutes that were given to the mysterious skyjacker.

The torn, tangled parachute — found about a month ago by children along a dirt road near Amboy — was probably made around 1945, said Earl Cossey, who examined the chute for the FBI on Friday.

The FBI said the matter remained under investigation.

A man who had given his name as Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient flight from Portland, Ore., to Seattle in November 1971, claiming he had a bomb. After the plane landed at Seattle, he released the passengers in exchange for $200,000 and four parachutes and asked to be flown to Mexico. He then bailed out of the jet as it flew somewhere near the Oregon line.

Some of the money given to him was found in 1980 along the Columbia River, but the fate of Cooper remains unknown. Many think he could not have survived the jump.

Cossey, who sold parachutes at a skydiving operation in Issaquah in the 1970s, had provided the chutes that the FBI gave Cooper. He told The Columbian of Vancouver that the newly found chute "absolutely, for sure" could not have been one of the four that he provided.

"The D.B. Cooper parachute was made of nylon," he said. "This 1945 parachute was made of silk."

FBI Agent Robert A. Burroughs in Seattle said Monday that agents had not ruled out the possibility that the chute was from Cooper.

"We haven't made a determination one way or the other yet," Burroughs said. "We're still in the process of finishing up what investigative steps we think are necessary to feel certain about calling it one way or the other."

The FBI had launched a publicity campaign last fall, hoping to generate new tips to solve the 36-year-old mystery.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Re: Not D.B. Cooper's chute!

TreasureTales said:
So the mystery remains just that. I really hope this thing is solved before I croak. I've been following this story since the day he skyjacked the plane.

Hmmmmm........

Attachments

• dbcooper.JPG
    dbcooper.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 516

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well here is my conclusion if it was me in D B Coopers position. If I was to highjack and plane and demand money and plan of bailing out of hte aircraft here is what I would have done.
1. I would have brought on board my very own parachute as a carry on baggage.
2. Knowing that the FEDs would probably either malfunction or put tracking devices on the demanded parachutes. I would be suspisious to use them in the first place especially if they were to be attached to my body.
3. I would throw out the parachutes that the FEDs gave me in case they do contain tracking devices before I made any attempt to jump from the airliner.
4. Using my own parachute would most likely have me 100% landing safely.

I am a paratrooper and have many jumps under my belt. If I was in D B Coopers position I certainly would not trust anything the government would give me if it ws to catch me or make it possible for them to track me!

Just my $0.02. I think it is his parachute regardless of it's age or material it is made from. If you know parachuting and equipment and know for fact it IS servicable AND reliable anything is possible. But I STILL think it is his!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Copperhead said:
TreasureTales said:
So the mystery remains just that. I really hope this thing is solved before I croak. I've been following this story since the day he skyjacked the plane.

Hmmmmm........

HA HA HA I see it now
.............AKA Maxine Cooper was arrested today in conne..............................

Nice job Copperhead.
TT, your secret is out.

Steve

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

TheHarleyMan2 said:
Well here is my conclusion if it was me in D B Coopers position. If I was to highjack and plane and demand money and plan of bailing out of hte aircraft here is what I would have done.
1. I would have brought on board my very own parachute as a carry on baggage.
2. Knowing that the FEDs would probably either malfunction or put tracking devices on the demanded parachutes. I would be suspisious to use them in the first place especially if they were to be attached to my body.
3. I would throw out the parachutes that the FEDs gave me in case they do contain tracking devices before I made any attempt to jump from the airliner.
4. Using my own parachute would most likely have me 100% landing safely.

I am a paratrooper and have many jumps under my belt. If I was in D B Coopers position I certainly would not trust anything the government would give me if it ws to catch me or make it possible for them to track me!

Just my $0.02. I think it is his parachute regardless of it's age or material it is made from. If you know parachuting and equipment and know for fact it IS servicable AND reliable anything is possible. But I STILL think it is his!

You and I think alike, you jump with your own packed chute.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

TreasureTales said:

maybe we should go find it?

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, so they say its not his chute?
Its not like we find a buried chute every day not to mention in an area suspected of a possible landing area.
Who and why would bury an expensive chute?
What percentage of our population would even own a chute not to mention jump
I'm not buying this story, no way.
I don't think this story is over.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

This wasn't an average snatch and grab convience store holdup.
DB obviously planned and had audacity. I really doubt that he would have been foolish enough to "climb down a well on another man's rope."
Was there ever a bagage manifest for that flight and was every piece accounted for after the flight. How hard would it have been to get a chute in cargo rather than depend on the Feds to provide a working chute.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

TreasureTales said:
You guys are right, there is no way DB Cooper would have depended on a government parachute, considering he just committed the world's first skyjacking. Nope, he had to have his own chute hidden somewhere handy, but why would he have asked for 4 chutes if he didn't intend to use any of them? Would he have used them to drop the cash so that he and the cash wouldn't be found together? Or to drop some survival gear so he could hide out in the forest for a few weeks? He must have had a reason for everything he asked for, even the parachutes.

I agree about the parachutes...TT, from what I've read they said he jumped with only 2 of them and left the others behind...one missing some of the cords...if you haven't already read this..here's an interesting story about a possible suspect..

http://nymag.com/news/features/39593/

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

truckinbutch said:
This wasn't an average snatch and grab convience store holdup.
DB obviously planned and had audacity. I really doubt that he would have been foolish enough to "climb down a well on another man's rope."
Was there ever a bagage manifest for that flight and was every piece accounted for after the flight. How hard would it have been to get a chute in cargo rather than depend on the Feds to provide a working chute.

You have to rememeber the time of this 70s long before metal detector, xrays etc. You could carry anything on with you as many bags you wished back then .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Armchair quarterbacking it,I'd have to say all he wanted that he demanded was the money.He already had all the gear he needed stashed on the plane.
The rest was smoke and mirrors.How many manhours were burned up putting everyone involved in that flight under the microscope rather than concentrating all resources on a fresh trail?
The picture the Feds have tried to paint of a buffoon who stepped off the edge of the world in a sport coat and dress shoes,I think,is just feelgood for them to cover their red a$$es cause they got caught with their pants down.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
You guys are right, there is no way DB Cooper would have depended on a government parachute, considering he just committed the world's first skyjacking. Nope, he had to have his own chute hidden somewhere handy, but why would he have asked for 4 chutes if he didn't intend to use any of them? Would he have used them to drop the cash so that he and the cash wouldn't be found together? Or to drop some survival gear so he could hide out in the forest for a few weeks? He must have had a reason for everything he asked for, even the parachutes.

As in my earlier posting of this subject...........To throw the FEDs off for one thing, but the reasoning would be that the FEDs probably put tracking devices on the chutes and maybe malfunctioned them.

If it was me....Again I would throw the chutes out in case the FEDs are tracking them, or better yet "LET THEM THINK" I needed thier parachutes. Anything is possible, look beyond reality and it can be done!!!!!

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT

Bridge End Farm said:
TreasureTales said:

maybe we should go find it?

Lets go..

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

The chutes they gave him probably were from 1945. I'd bet that are still some in gov't surplus.... :D

nmfj40

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum

My best guess at why he wanted the 4 chutes is to make the feds think he was going to make someone else like the stewardess's jump with him. That way the feds would make sure they all were ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread