DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains - Page 127
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 127 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3393
Like Tree6636Likes

Thread: DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6844 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp View Post
    Sorry buddy. That way don't work. If you think that what I call the Rio Grande is The Jornada del Muerto, it doesn't ever take a sharp turn to the West like that. It is basically a straight line until it starts a curve to the EAST to Santa Fe. Why would a trail show an island in the middle of it? Also, another very prominent land feature on the map is "Rabbit Ears Peak" in The Organ Mountains. When the map is oriented my way, The Organs and Rabbit Ears Peak are in their correct position.

I promise you, East is the opposite of how you displayed it.

Mike
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

gr
    Oct 2012
    5053 times
    I believe the Willie's map is for a small region .
    The mines from the west side

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West side mines.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1207536
    Marius

If your true to your heart, you will never go wrong. The truth is the truth, no matter how you look at it, and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth. It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

us
    Riverbum

Jul 2011
    Colorado
    Whites
    133 times
    Artifacts
    Hello,
    Although I'm not the expert on geology or passed history to the Caballo area, I do know that the Rio Grande was uncontolled by diverson dams and levees hundreds of years ago. The river meandered in the valley from about Bernallio (Albuquerque) and beyond El Paso. Places I do know that folks were able to cross the river at Rincon/Hatch/Aleman area which is relatively close to Victorio peak. Even then they had to know that the spring run-off and bad weather could hamper the crossings in those anciet times. The river never flowed in one place too long, it kept meandering east or west until modern man took control of its flow. (Elephant Butte for example). I'm not sure if the map reflects this change in seasonal flows.

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6844 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbum View Post
    Hello,
    Although I'm not the expert on geology or passed history to the Caballo area, I do know that the Rio Grande was uncontolled by diverson dams and levees hundreds of years ago. The river meandered in the valley from about Bernallio (Albuquerque) and beyond El Paso. Places I do know that folks were able to cross the river at Rincon/Hatch/Aleman area which is relatively close to Victorio peak. Even then they had to know that the spring run-off and bad weather could hamper the crossings in those anciet times. The river never flowed in one place too long, it kept meandering east or west until modern man took control of its flow. (Elephant Butte for example). I'm not sure if the map reflects this change in seasonal flows.
    Hey Riverbum,

Welcome to the discussion. I doubt the map shows anything like that. Hand drawn Travel Maps and Treasure Maps pretty much just show very prominent landmarks in an area. Treasure Maps go a bit further and show locations of things hidden. This is usually done by making up a new code or using an existing coded language. This map is very easy (the map part at least). All the landmarks are easily distinguishable, so translating map features to actual terrain features is very straightforward here. The difficulty here are all the symbols. They could basically be two things:

1. Coded symbols that have a meaning ONLY referring to map details (distance, depth, etc)

2. Symbols that are cut into rocks on site that you have to find. The easy example here are spirals. Spirals are one of the most common glyphs around the world. What do they mean here? No telling. A big issue with this possibility is that people like Doc Perrick used to go around the mountains, and any time he saw a glyph, he took a picture, then blew up the rock the glyph was on. He put the pic in his little notebook along with a description of its location. Lots of history was destroyed by that a-hole. I can't find anybody that knows anything about his little notebook either. That is likely squirreled away in some treasure hunters Hope Chest.

Mike
    Riverbum and Not Peralta like this.
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11822 times
    K mike, the Jornado del Muerta is way to the north for starters that takes care of one of the double dares
    Not Peralta and Not Peralta like this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    6844 times
    K mike, the Jornado del Muerta is way to the north for starters that takes care of one of the double dares
    Soooooo, you're saying that this map only encompasses somewhere in Mexico? You know I luv ya, but you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one. Show me what features on your version correlate to anything on a map? You say that North-South line is the Rio Grande, but NOWHERE in the ENTIRE course of that river South of Hatch, NM does it run North-South. After making the curve at Hatch, it runs basically NorthWest to SouthEast all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. The ONLY place the Rio Grande runs straight North-South is from about Hatch, NM up to where it turns slghtly East just North of Albuquerque towards Santa Fe. Sorry Pardner, that just don't work.

Mike
    Riverbum and Not Peralta like this.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11822 times
    Sorry Mike that is just a drawing, not a precise wk, Ole Mexico ?? no way. Incidetally the rio runs roughly N/S in the Caballos region.
    Not Peralta likes this.

Mar 2013
    2993 times
    To Mike and Real, Amigo's Since all maps are not completely accurate ,several things to be considered on the "lil" map as far as directions are concerned is, from the south were there is a sun symbol the line does go from south to north "but"the long directional arm on the sun symbol points to the north east dotted trail,and the river,and the caballo's, the dotted trail splits before it gets to the river and rejoins again bypassing part of the river from the center of the mnts to a pass north of the mnts,goes through the caballo's
    into the Joronado ,then splits,when following the dotted trail to the south it follows the same route as the river.NP

us
    digger indian

Jul 2013
    spring texas
    fisher 1265
    662 times
    Prospecting
    Yes Don Jose but the Cabllos are north of Hatch.

The Point of Rocks has always interested me but they say it was beat to death after Doc died.

NP so the trail split for different places to ford the river at certain times of the year? or did it depend on weather you wanted to go into
    the Caballos, or straight to the jornado?

us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2060 times
    caballos seems like a logical place to trail into victorio peak. the map is incomplete, any map maker can see that, but to me it does appear to fit the caballo and regions north and south of that. also depends on the date the map was made. i love the art work of the map. i need to dig up my pictures showing why i think the map fits. i mean anyone can do a overlay on google maps. not going to be a exact fit, looks like more than one measurement of area is used to me. is the map a hoax? i dont care i enjoy what it displays what i can read of it.

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    6844 times
    No hand drawn map will overlay onto a google maps pic perfectly. THAT is why, on hand drawn maps, you try and distinguish larger terrain features (Rio Grande, Malpais, Rabbit Ears Peak, The island in the river, the Eastward turn of the river, etc, etc, etc). Nothing more than basic terrain ID skills are needed to identify which way this map should be oriented. The symbolism and applying it to the map are a bit more problematic without a primer. Some of it can be figured out, some not so much without intimate knowledge of the individual sites.

Mike

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11822 times
    ah ah not so fast Mike. On other maps there is no island, but on some it could be Victorio pk, especially on NP's lil map. I agree, that is a curious point.

Still two double dares down tis fun Mike.

P.S. Only if the map was tranposed, would it fit
    Last edited by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp; Sep 05, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Not Peralta likes this.

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    6844 times
    ah ah not so fast Mike. On other maps there is no island, but on some it could be Victorio pk, especially on NP's lil map. I agree, that is a curious point.

Still two double dares down tis fun Mike.

P.S. Only if the map was tranposed, would it fit
    Doesn't matter what is or is not on any other maps. This map shows a double line with a small mass in the middle. Unless it was an ancient medical record recording an arterial blockage, it is a river with an island in the middle. Your two double dares are not doing well.

Mike

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11822 times
    Mike, are too
    Not Peralta and whiskeyrat like this.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11822 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rio_grande_in_1718.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	1208146 Mike show me where it crosses the Caballos, also it has your Island That is a trail that crosses the Caballos via the pass and turns south..
    Last edited by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp; Sep 05, 2015 at 08:31 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links