DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eveing Rog, Gentlemen:

Since we are a little off topic here is a little experience that I had on people.

#####################################

Ok gals, guys, go to the patio where Lupita will serve you cold drinks of your choice.

It was back in the winter of 1864 - 9? can't remember dates too clearly lately (snicker but I was following up a story on a lost jesuit mine when a local mentioned that there was copper near by.

So I saddled up my mule, and off I went. It was a two day journey, and I had two cold, very high rivers to cross.. The first night I spent in an Indian's small hut, since it was drizzling, and I was grateful to have a dry place to sleep instead of under a small piece of tarp.

I remember as I rode up to his isolated little hut, he came to the door and told me "Bienvenido senor, mi casa es suyo" "Welcome sir, my house is yours.

After unsaddling and seeing to my mules comfort and dinner, I returned to his hut. I found him, his wife, and three lil kiddies inside. It was a single room with a small open fire on one side to cook with. He had a small wobbly wooden, home made, table and three similar chairs. All cooking utensils were home made from wood or clay.. They slept on the floor with one blanket.

As I was laying out my blankets, his lil wife came to me and shyly told me that dinner was ready. I went to the table to find two tortillas, a few beans and a glass of warm sugar cane juice. Hmm, as I was folding the tortilla, I noticed the three little kiddies huddled in the corner, watching me very intently and anxiously?

I asked my host why they weren't eating.? He rather matter of fact said that his crop of corn had failed, and that was all they had to eat, this and his sugar cane juice.

Sheesh, for some reason my appetite just disappeared, so I opened my saddle bags and brought out my store of day old Tortillas, dried meat, some spices, and Coffee. So we had a nice dinner and put the kiddies to sleep with full tummies.

His wife almost cried over the coffee, she said that she hadn't tasted any in over a year, so naturally I left my coffee with her. I also left the #5 bag of hard candy which I always carried for the isolated ranch kiddies that I met.

To me it wasn't a big thing, but to them it was , since the head of the family probably only made one or two trips a year and their candy was low priority.

The next day was clear and sunny, so I left my wonderful hosts, who were willing to share whatever they had with a stranger. I also left most of my trail money with them and continued on my way

As for getting a mule to cross two swift rivers, with icy water chest high, sigh, that is for another day. However, after crossing I cleaned up, shaved and made myself presentable.

The trail wound up and up until it broke out into a valley with the trail running up the middle with houses on both sides

Since I had an interested and critical audience, I sat straight in the saddle with the most dignified manner that I could think of, and continued.

The trail passed over a small rock wall that had collapsed. As my mule reached this spot, she gave a little jump and slid completely out from under the saddle leaving me still sitting in the saddle on top of the remains of the wall...

My audience broke out in a roar , laughing and yelling, with tears runing down their faces, sheesh talk about embarrassing. Naturally, all that I could do was to shrug my shoulders and grin. They loved it, and they are all still my friends to this day, as you all are..

AuTSaurus

Feb 22, 2007
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Goldbug2, Fisher CZ, White's Goldmaster, Vallon
Very nice actions on your part, Real, with regards to sharing with them. A true PA.

Since you like mules, look what I ran across on the internet yesterday, I think you'll like it. It shows how smart mules are.
there is no way anyone could of taught this to that mule, and no way most horses would do this, if any.

click link to video.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=737553989631343

Greg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, Hi Esmerlds, I have hundreds of mule stories, they 'think'. But lord help you if you have to cross a bridge with cracks in the floor

That was a very interesting video, and true. My mule used to lie on her side and scoot under the lower strands of barbed wire, she learned that from her father.

Since she could never resist growing wheat, I must have bought the wheat production of the sierras.

Side thing, they are better than a dog for picking up stray sounds or activities, my mule often warned me of strangers on the trail by looking or pointing those long ears. They definitely become part of your team and after a month or so on the trail - generally not meeting anyone. They become good company and learn your habits.
I still think that it was a mistake fr the Border Patrol to go for horses instead of mules, the mule will pick up and indicate an illegal hiding.

Rog, mules were used to transport those dore' bars from Tayopa to the Caballos and Victoria Peak.

Last edited:

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Festus was no fool ,,,

Matthew , I lost their tracks , why , there was a Sand Storm blew up so thick , ya could stir it with a stick "

" Old Ruth even lost their Tracks "

yepper , Gotta Love Gunsmoke and Old Festus , and that sweet Girl Ruth .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Festus was no fool ,,,

Matthew , I lost their tracks , why , there was a Sand Storm blew up so thick , ya could stir it with a stick "

" Old Ruth even lost their Tracks "

yepper , Gotta Love Gunsmoke and Old Festus , and that sweet Girl Ruth .

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to LOVE Gunsmoke. So, I watched every episode growing up. Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, The Viginian, Bonanza, anything Western. My grandmother had been friends with John Wayne back in the 1930s. Who knew I would eventually meet an old Treasure Hunter named Clint Walker (Cheyenne). HAHAHA

Mike

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC01438.JPG
I have a lot more photos from Soledad Canyon, but they exceed the size limit. I'll try to do a workaround later

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were taken for me by a friend, who neglected to record GPS when taking them. I am not on site at the moment, sorry.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these are not from within Soledad Canyon, please forgive. I am just going by what I was told. I will check with him again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread