hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey E.T.D....you from Ft. Campbell area? My son was there, and did a little hunting. He's in R.O.K. now, and hunts with me here. I was at Ft. Lee about 28 years ago. It was open, as regards to metal detectors. I found two belt plates on post....one a U.S. oval, and the other a pre-civil war eagle rectangular plate. If they haven't built a new library, then the woods directly behind the old library used to have an old old farm on it. That's where I found the rectangular plate. And I found lots of silver all over Ft. Lee.....some had hunted it in places, but there were plenty of places that hadn't been hunted. Of course, in the last 28 + years a lot could have happened. Make sure and check on the regs, regarding hunting on-post.
Off post....the natives were pretty friendly. Hopewell, VA is right down the road from Ft. Lee.....I lived there. Lots of places near the James River. Most off limits, but a few let me hunt their property.....and had some success. If you have one of the newer machines, then you should be able to find some stuff, even where I hunted.
Then, I did hunt in Petersburg.....pretty much in their Poplar Lawn Park.....I hunted in the late night/early mornings.....like, 11:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. It was a pretty dangerous area......I was never bothered, but called the police to help a stabbing victim, and had a few who told me I was crazy for hunting there. I never never hunted that area alone. Well, hope that this helps. And, best of luck. AND, if you are ever assigned to S. Korea, then you make sure you bend my ear, and we will do some hiking/hunting Korean style......and hopefully put a few old coins from here in your pocket to take home. Bill, in S. Korea

OP
OP
E

easttndigger

Mar 25, 2010
Kingsport ,TN
Detector(s) used
Whites vision, MXT
well thats some great information thanks alot, i know that area is prob the some of the hottest civil war sites n the country, if ya cant find anything there you probably cant find a bullet in a relic shop thanks again i really appreciate the intel

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
easttndigger said:
i will be stationed at fort lee VA for about 6 months and ill be looking for a place to remove some of those harmful lead 3ringers from mother earth............anybody from this area or have any experience digging in this region?

Its been about 14 years since I dug in that area I was buddies with a retired Msgt from Ft Lee who lived nearby. My advise. find NON FEDERAL sites near the rail lines going NORTH, check any wooded areas and expect to see a dig a lot of trash but don't give up, there are some goodies. When I dug the area there was some construction going on of strip malls, they were gold mines...so look for new construction sites.

There were lots of CSA picket lines in the area, small camps of 10 to twenty men
such a place can yeild more artifacts than a big regimental camp thats been dug by "the world".

Get a copy of the official records and a few topos of the area and apply the old records to the new, surpised what you might run across.

Good luck

Flood City Kid

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hyplainsdrifter, it's a long shot that you'll get a response to these posts that were made years ago. Check the dates on the left above the member's avatar when you're reading the forums. You might have more luck staying current or starting your own topics :icon_thumleft: Welcome to TreasureNet!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread