Thaddy1978

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2015
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some extra money left from taxes that we didn't spend. It wasn't quite enough for a firearm, so I bought a Bounty Hunter time ranger for $180. I have heard some folks call them junk, but for the price and for a newb, I thought it a great buy. I love history! I love finding cool "stuff." There is certainly a learning curve with this, but I am excited to learn how to use it. Anyone around the Rockingham County VA area? I am from NOVA, but got transplanted. This area has so much history. I need to learn the ropes.

mlamp20412

Apr 26, 2008
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may be better detectors, but you can find plenty of good stuff with time ranger. I had a BH sharp shooter II , step or 2 below, before my AT pro. SSII found about 20 cw bullets and 6 buttons at a spot I pounded for a couple years. Been at it with the AT pro at same spot and only found another couple of bullets and a cuff button so far over a year plus. SSII would hit a minnie ball at 10" in moist soil.
Happy Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm from SW VA, so a far trek from you. But when I looked around, there's a whole bunch of Shenandoah Valley hunters on here. I suggest you post a new thread advertising for local hunting partners. You can learn a whole lot, you'll make new friends, and they just might get you out and hunting more often than solitude and silence will allow you.

I know it worked for me, but on a roundabout way. I'd been on TNet over two years, and I ran into a fellow who has turned into a real friend, just 6 miles down the road from me and he has opened my world wider.

There's some really good people here. So, you put yourself out there! And you'll change your life - and that's a fact.

Last edited:

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Detector

Had some extra money left from taxes that we didn't spend. It wasn't quite enough for a firearm, so I bought a Bounty Hunter time ranger for $180. I have heard some folks call them junk, but for the price and for a newb, I thought it a great buy. I love history! I love finding cool "stuff." There is certainly a learning curve with this, but I am excited to learn how to use it. Anyone around the Rockingham County VA area? I am from NOVA, but got transplanted. This area has so much history. I need to learn the ropes.

The Bounty Hunter time ranger will find you many good relics. Learn you machine. As time gos on and you feel you want to up grade. The Minelab SE Pro. is one of the best detector to move up to. Its easy to learn. And is a deep relic and coin detector, You can pick up some nice one on ebay sometimes for around $500 There are plenty of other detector that cost much more with more bells and blinking lights. But I'd say you can't go wromg with the Minelab SE Pro when you up grade, Best of luck, use what you have for now and enjoy the hunt. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread